Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in

Dim Carcosa.

Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in

Lost Carcosa.

"Cassilda's Song" in The King in Yellow Act 1, Scene 2

In my next competition entry I try to create a Small Game, centered about the City of Carcosa, a mythtical place created even before Lovecraft build up his Mythos universe and inspired him and many who follow up to write within the cthulhu mythos.

I relate to the original Shortstory by Ambrose Bierce "An Inhabitant of Carcosa" (1891) and it following adaptions like in Robert W. Chambers' book of horror short stories published in 1895 entitled The King in Yellow.

In the my Game "Carcosa" you will play a lone Wanderer/Dreamer who wanders the City of Carcosa. First there are only ruins and you have to find clues to what desaster may have befallen the city. You layout the Hidden City, similar to "Betrayal in the House on the Hill" and finds clues in the Ruins. Than a random Item caused the Play "The King in Yellow" to start and you look up what clue caused the Play, in which part of the City (The tiles have two sides, a generic Ruin and a Citylocation on the other side), slowly the city unfolds and the ruins transform into the City of Carcosa as it once was.

There will be 6 Types of city locations and each type has 6 of its relating locations, plus the Theatre in the centre. Making it a Field of hextiles with 3 rings around the centre. 1 type is Empty, 2nd type is Ruins blocking the way, 3rd type is Fortresses/Castle, 4th Type is Markets and Merchants and Craftmen, 5th is the Churches and Temples, 6th is Library, public places and more theatres.

Each type of location holds a pile of eventcards, after the city manifests you can meet other dreamers, Ghosts, Lost souls and cthulhuid creatures on the streets of carcosa. Its NOT a fighting game like Arkham horror, but a set collection and Deckdrafting game.

You, the player has to use the initial clue cards, eventcards, to build up a deck, from which you can draw "actors", "Scenes", and "dyscordance" to fullfill the scenes of the play "The King in Yellow", BUT before the complete City is revealed (36 - 50 Rounds), The Kind in yellow appears, or you get insane by the play you stage.

So the player, have to Unlock as few parts of the city as Possible, recruit Actors(Lost Souls, Ghosts, Dreamers, Madmen, Monster) with his skills and cards, and let them perform a Scene at a special location meant for it. Each Scene than have certain effects, Boni and Mali. You need to collect 4 Scenes in the First Act and 3 Scenes in the Second Act of the Play, The initial activator defines the last scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Re: WIP - 2013 Solitaire PnP Entry - Carcosa
Reserve for Graphics and Gamerules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Reserved for components and Playtest images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat! And very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will likely take some time to balance. Fortunately, you have time.
Please try to finish the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
radchad wrote:
This will likely take some time to balance. Fortunately, you have time.
Please try to finish the game.

Yes, i try my best.

Most time, i tend to clunk a Game to Full of stuff which i like from other games. Somehow, i am not able to do things in a minimal, sleek Form. So Let's summerize whats basic here, and why its needed for the Game, and where is it based from the theme.

1. Playing a unknown Dreamer: this based directly from the initial shortstory.

2. Ruintiles turn into Citytiles, player loose if the city of Carcosa is revealed: in many stories the City manifests in Reality, and devour the place where it appears including all inhabitants.

3. The King in Yellow, is the title of the Theatreplay within the Mythos, Next to Books like the necronomicon. The only Chance for the Player to survive/keep sanity is to Complete the play, alter its course and prevent Carcosa manifesting. In the Books, all who read/saw the play got Crazy or commited suizide. In this Game the last scene is also a Quest Mission, you can stop Carcosa but still go crazy if you cannot overcome the last scene.

4. The Game has a Set Collection mechanic, the Player Must collect actors to play each Scenecard on a specific place. You can Exchange a sanity point for a scnene in the Central theatre, the tile at the Centre of the Map. Than start encounters in locations to get actors and props. Each effecting a scene. So the Player compete with the city, try to Slow it down and archieve scenes, which also makes the player loose constantly sanity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it should work. Your tension is your tiles. You should try to make each tile at least somewhat interesting. (Rule twists, etc.)

Although, there is something to be said about making boring space filling tiles if the tiles act merely as a timer towards the end of the game.

If they are all simple and the rules are simple, then the game will become like a filler sort of game. If they are too complicated or there is to much going on, it does two things:

1. Becomes difficult to playtest.

2. May scare off players because they don't want to commit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
There will be, within the 6 tile types, one plank type, working like a savespot, another type is ruins, which block the path. Also most tiles should have 1-2 of the 6 hextilesides blocked with buildings so the city becomes a bit labyrinthian.

The game has 2 stages. Act1 and Act2 of the play. In act one, its saver and more easy to fetch actors and props. But you have fewer locations unlocked. In Stage 2 Most actors you can catch are also dangerous or causing madness, they are mostly already crazy or monsters, and so do the props having side effects.

Its constantly the question about choosing the less bad choice.

The tiles themselfs are having a Act1 and act2 eventpile.

As far As i see there will Be:

- 37 Hex tiles
- 30 Act1 Scenes
- 20 Act2 Scenes
- 36 {Act1} Event Cards, 12 Actors, 10 Props, 14 mixed Cards
- 10 Clue Cards
- 60 Endscene Cards. {scenario cards}

Some Dices.
One Player figure.
One Phantom of Truth figure.
One King in Yellow figure.

- 36 {Act2} Event Cards, 8 Actors, 8 Props, 20 mixed Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Hopefully i can try some Carddedigns the next days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge