9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trajan or Legend of Andor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ellard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't know which of these games to purchase. They are both very different, I know, however they are both of a similar price...

Any thoughts or ideas would be very much welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lang
Germany
Gaißach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you think that it also mattered a little bit, what the games are all about?

As far as I gathered, Trajan is a rather complicated, competitive game, whereas in LoA people are working together and it has a very neat tutorial mode which introduces new rules as you play along so it would be more recommendable for new gamers or families. Trajan on the other hand is something for more experienced gamers, I'd say.

I hope I haven't been trolled just now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, neither your games owned nor your wishlist says anything about your tastes, so it is hard to suggest something here.

Trajan: outstanding strategic game (Euro), no theme.
Andor: most say very good cooperative game, theme seems to be so-so.

Trajan is strategy only. If you like that, good.
Andor, on the other hand, has the problem of scenarios - if they run out, the puzzles have most likely run out, too. There are expansions and mitigations of this problem possible, but not yet provided.

Hard replayability, Trajan comes first.
Theme, Andor is better, although far from a thematic game (if you don't choose to make it one, by "roleplaying" it).
Coop vs. Competitive.

You choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Well, neither your games owned nor your wishlist says anything about your tastes, so it is hard to suggest something here.

They have lighter stuff with only CoB showing a hint of maybe liking Trajan but there's no listed plays of it or ranking. I would say LoA based on the types of games they have bought so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant comment on Legends since I havent played it, but Trajan is amazing.

Trajan may seem intimidating at first - lots of tokens, lots of things to do - but even a non-gamer friend of mine got the hang of it by her 3rd turn.
Its easy to learn, hard to master.
The production quality is great, the game-play is very very good and tbh, it's quite easy to teach to others. It's only fault may be the lack of theme, but I never had any complaints about it.

You need to decide what you want, a co-op or a euro. If you decide on a Euro, you can't go wrong with Trajan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ellard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My owned games are limited as I have only recently become an avid game-player. I haven't got around to forming a wish list either yet... Plus I'm still getting to grips with the website and how to use it (I still don't know how to rank a game!).

My reason for choosing these two is that I have played Trajan (only once) and really enjoyed it. I liked the strategic side to the gameplay and love the fact that it will take a long time to even come close to mastering it, mainly due to the element of luck and multitude of pathways to choose.

Legend of Andor, however, I have not played, nor do I know anyone who has played it. I have seen run-throughs of the game on You Tube and like the immersive nature and theme. I don't know whether the re-playability is there though... and it would irritate me if I needed to buy into expansions in order to continue to play. But it does look very cool!

I recently purchased Castles of Burgundy, mainly due to the fact that Trajan designer, Stefan Feld, also created CoB. I have yet to play a complete game, but have enjoyed what I have played so far.

I'm not entirely sure that I want another co-op game yet either... Forbidden Island/Desert and Pandemic have been very successful with us though.

The only place where I have seen Legend of Andor available is on Amazon, however they don't have any in stock at present...and before this they said it would take between 1 and 3 months to deliver. Does anyone know of anywhere else that is good to look for games that are reasonably priced and don't kill youwith postage fees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be getting Andor any time soon. We're all waiting on a reprint. Amazon's advised wait times have proved to be rather fanciful in the past.

I'm also looking at Trajan, but Castles of Burgundy didn't set me alight. If you like it, maybe wear out the fun in that before grabbing more Feld? Or go for something completely different to round out the collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ellard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
repairmanjack wrote:
I'm also looking at Trajan, but Castles of Burgundy didn't set me alight. If you like it, maybe wear out the fun in that before grabbing more Feld? Or go for something completely different to round out the collection?

Would you be able to recommend something completely different that I might enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pumpkinjames wrote:
My owned games are limited as I have only recently become an avid game-player. I haven't got around to forming a wish list either yet... Plus I'm still getting to grips with the website and how to use it (I still don't know how to rank a game!).

My reason for choosing these two is that I have played Trajan (only once) and really enjoyed it. I liked the strategic side to the gameplay and love the fact that it will take a long time to even come close to mastering it, mainly due to the element of luck and multitude of pathways to choose.

Legend of Andor, however, I have not played, nor do I know anyone who has played it. I have seen run-throughs of the game on You Tube and like the immersive nature and theme. I don't know whether the re-playability is there though... and it would irritate me if I needed to buy into expansions in order to continue to play. But it does look very cool!

I recently purchased Castles of Burgundy, mainly due to the fact that Trajan designer, Stefan Feld, also created CoB. I have yet to play a complete game, but have enjoyed what I have played so far.

I'm not entirely sure that I want another co-op game yet either... Forbidden Island/Desert and Pandemic have been very successful with us though.

The only place where I have seen Legend of Andor available is on Amazon, however they don't have any in stock at present...and before this they said it would take between 1 and 3 months to deliver. Does anyone know of anywhere else that is good to look for games that are reasonably priced and don't kill youwith postage fees?

To rate a game you just go to your collection and click on the spot under "your rating" for the game you want to rate and just simply put in the number.

Both games are nice. They are just too different to say which one to get. You don't do anything wrong with either one of them.
Legend 3 of Legends of Andor is one that a lot more flexible then the other ones, so it's not always the same. Also there are some free PnP Legends available. Also there are lots of Fan legends out there to give a try. And if that's not enough for replayabilty the first expansion is due in October which focus on flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.