Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Reconnaissance Solo Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Just got this game, played once, Solo without the Dummy. Two questions arising from the end game:

Q1: When you reveal the City core tile at the end, does that:
- End your current turn immediately, and then give you one more turn;
- Enable you to finish your current turn, and have one more full turn later;
- Finish your current turn only.

I played with the 2nd option, which allowed me to obtain a level up, and then play a full final turn (where I fought a Draconum for added interest). I would not have been able to level up had I ended my turn when the city appeared, nor would I likely have been able to fight/beat the Dragon.

Q2: This is a really minor technicality, but when playing First Reconnaissance Solo is it inappropriate to grant yourself the Solo Scenario bonuses on the scoring card (e.g. +30 / +1 / +5)? My thought is 'yes' since the walkthrough tends to imply you only count the Achievement bonuses.

Q3: One other question, when I bought this game I bought Lost Legion also. I chose to incorporate the modified cards into my decks and set aside the originals from the base version, even if I'm playing the base game/base scenarios (which means I will never have the opportunity to play with the original cards, whether they are stronger/weaker/flawed). Is this "official protocol"? (p.s. I did keep all the other LL cards/tokens separate; I only integrated the replacement cards at this time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A1: Assuming you’re playing the First Reconnaissance scenario, you finish your turn, then have one last turn. So you played it correctly.

A2: “When scoring, award no titles.” (That means “Greatest whatever”.)

A3: I prefer using the expansion cards and enemy tokens even for the original scenarios, and will also mix in Volkare’s Camp. For new players however I would recommend using just the base components for learning the first couple of games, then once you get used to those you can advance to the expansion bits, since there is more to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Trevin wrote:
A1: Assuming you’re playing the First Reconnaissance scenario, you finish your turn, then have one last turn. So you played it correctly.

A2: “When scoring, award no titles.” (That means “Greatest whatever”.)

A3: I prefer using the expansion cards and enemy tokens even for the original scenarios, and will also mix in Volkare’s Camp. For new players however I would recommend using just the base components for learning the first couple of games, then once you get used to those you can advance to the expansion bits, since there is more to learn.

Thanks for the reply. Still not clear about Q2. Of course I did not apply the "plus 3 or minus 3" bonuses on the Achievement side of the reference card. What I am asking is, would you apply the +30 unplayed round / +1 per dummy cards left / +5 end of round bonuses as shown on the OTHER side of the reference card (like you would if playing Solo Conquest rules).

I just want to make sure my "personal best" fame scores are accurate. It doesn't really matter otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q2: I would say yes, take the points for unfinished rounds etc. If you didn't, then it would be in your best interest never to discover the city, so that you can keep playing and earning points.

Q3: I think that it depends which edition you have. If you have an older printing of the base game, some replacement cards are fixes to misprinted cards. Otherwise, the replacement cards just reworded older cards to make them work with some of the new mechanics (which you won't see until you mix in the new tiles). I would say it doesn't hurt to replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Both printings are brand new bought a couple weeks ago. The reprinted cards were redundant so I set them aside. From scouring the FAQ earlier I picked up on why certain cards were reworded (e.g. reading posts from 2011/2012 era). My sense is by adding the new cards to each character deck, it will alter the dynamic slightly, but I figured probably for the best to add more variety to each character.

After 2 games with FR I think I'm about ready for something more interesting like Conquest... I got stiffed getting magic & artifacts both times I played FR! Especially the 2nd game it became a move-to-win affair, I barely had any opportunity to fight weak rampaging enemies even. Bad card luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.