Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things right now that really convince me that EH is a going to be a worthy sibling to AH is the GOO and the status effect cards.

More involved GOO:
1. Multiple mystery cards specifically for each one

2. A reverse back that provide two win-conditions (?)

3. If you look on the left side of the card below the cultist section (Setup) you can see that the monsters might be themed to each GOO.

4. Cthulhu at least has a special encounter deck (Setup)

5. The Mythos deck also as a special set up for each GOO: Yellow, Green, and Blue

6. The Omens track, that dial in the upper right hand corner of the board, some how plays into this as I think those symbols match those on the GOO and the Mythos cards.

1. I love how Maddness, Injury, "Personal Stories", and Deals will be incorporated from the get-to. I think those cards really added something to AH when they were introduced and really help create a specific narrative for the Investigator

2. Taking a cue from MoM, they might have the same front but different backs. Again making it harder to calculate the risk reward. Also perhaps causing the player to trigger it at a less than optimal time.

3. I also love that the Investigators will have consequences of death, instead of it going past with barely a "He's dead, Jim". In AH its almost "Gee sorry we went on all these adventures and got close but we'll just dump your mangled corpse in a shallow grave now".

Again, all of this will be incorporated into the game design from the beginning instead added on top. I think it will make a more exciting and interesting game. You Investigator will feel like a unique character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
but these changes could have easily been turned into a simple arkham horror expansion and applied to that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
but these changes could have easily been turned into a simple arkham horror expansion and applied to that game.

Would have been nice if they had but perhaps a better idea to start afresh rather than try to make this fit this onto Arkham Horror. This is Arkham Horror redesigned and new, just to a global setting.

But I agree with OP there's some great stuff here to look forward to. Listening to Coreys comments on the video reminded me of Mansions of Madness and his enthusiasm for storytelling. It looks like this idea has passed onto Eldritch Horror so I fully expect this to be a more focused experience rather than just random card drawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

Im pretty sure someone here on BGG will figure out how to connect the two for epic GOO fighting adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror game leading to a revenge Eldritch Horror campaign? Sounds like an awesome weekend, even if you'll be a little hamstrung till they release more investigtors/ancient ones (for continuity's sake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

Given that there are 4 big box expansions and 4 small box expansions this would not be an easy task. Remember the last big box expansion was created to help smooth over all the bumps from 7 previous editions. People still got mad at an "expansion-expansion".

And if you reprinted all the investigators, all the GOOS, added new encounter, location, and mythos cards to replace the old ones, then added 2-3 mechanisms on top of that it would not add up to a simple expansion.

Also people would get mad if they couldn't use the card they already had and instead say had to replace all their mythos cards with new ones.

Its not an easy task. Its not an efficient task.
And its a task that would always keep you constrained within the designs of the Arkham Horror game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people seem to think that just because Eldritch Horror has the same theme as AH, it should be a part of the same game. I just can't agree with that. From what little I've read about this game, it really seems like FFG are trying to apply lessons they earned while working on AH, and are producing a new game that actually may be more successful at telling a story than Arkham Horror is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodySloth wrote:
A lot of people seem to think that just because Eldritch Horror has the same theme as AH, it should be a part of the same game. I just can't agree with that. From what little I've read about this game, it really seems like FFG are trying to apply lessons they earned while working on AH, and are producing a new game that actually may be more successful at telling a story than Arkham Horror is.

And to add:

Make it more accessible by streamlining the system. As old as it is, there are still questions on how to resolve issues that the FAQ remains misty about.

Arkham Horror is big enough. I welcome a different game and love, love the globe trotting aspect to it. With the two Fortune and Glory expansions coming and now this, its gonna be a good season.

Okay, all together now,

"Shut up, and take my money!"

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
couldnt they use that knowledge to release a second/third edition of arkham horror with a more streamlined approach?

now theres 2 games very similar with the same theme and in the end 1 is going to be overshadowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:

3. I also love that the Investigators will have consequences of death, instead of it going past with barely a "He's dead, Jim". In AH its almost "Gee sorry we went on all these adventures and got close but we'll just dump your mangled corpse in a shallow grave now".

Again, all of this will be incorporated into the game design from the beginning instead added on top. I think it will make a more exciting and interesting game. You Investigator will feel like a unique character.

thumbsup

There may also be an element of 'noble sacrifice'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
couldnt they use that knowledge to release a second/third edition of arkham horror with a more streamlined approach?

now theres 2 games very similar with the same theme and in the end 1 is going to be overshadowed.

This is probably a debate worthy of its own thread. The simple fact is that for FFG it makes more sense to release a new game than to re-hash AH.

I see this as a good thing. We get to keep AH as the game we all love, and also get to play the new globe spanning EH. Best of both worlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

What? FFG has basically turned Cthulhu into a franchise, Eldritch Horror is just one more of a suite of games that they already produce. I doubt one more addition is suddenly going to be the thing that ruins it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
no doubt ffg will make plenty of money, but it will be the gamers that own both who in the end will have AH and 4 expansions overshadowed by what is essentially arkham horror 2.0 with a different theme and its many expansions in their cupboard.

Im not a huge fan of AH, in general i find it clunky and difficult to remember all the steps each turn and i usually end up forgetting to do something, like make sure the environment card is in effect make sure you roll for losing blessed, make sure you move the terror track, adjust your stat sliders, remember to add to the doom track etc.. especially with 1 or 2 expansions just becomes to much.

I find the game exhausting playing solo just keeping track of everything and rushing around the table grabbing chits, rolling dice turning over cards etc..

I would have rather had a cthulhu game with a new set of mechanics like deduction, story telling, mystery etc that provides a totally fresh experience. But i suppose a streamlined ah would be great it will jsut result in selling off all my AH boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ogilvie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
I would have rather had a cthulhu game with a new set of mechanics like deduction, story telling, mystery etc that provides a totally fresh experience. But i suppose a streamlined ah would be great it will jsut result in selling off all my AH boxes.

Eldritch Horror should be the thing for you, then, since it sounds like the game's mechanics are built around things like solving mysteries and telling stories. The OP was made in order to talk about them, even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
what i mean by story telling is tales of arabian nights kind of story telling, in AH you dont do any real investigating unless you consider gobbling up clue tokens akin to some lovecraftian pacman investigating. Hopefully EH differs in that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
what i mean by story telling is tales of arabian nights kind of story telling, in AH you dont do any real investigating unless you consider gobbling up clue tokens akin to some lovecraftian pacman investigating. Hopefully EH differs in that aspect.

Im with you on this but judging by the card component listing it doesn't look like there will be much variety. Then again, we don't know how often story cards get pulled. In ToAN and AoS (Agents of SMERSH), each time a player moves to a location they get an encounter/story. EH may be different.

Then again, this could all be part of FFG's master plan to release expansion after expansion that will add story cards. I'm betting this will be the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has nothing to do with mechanisms, per say, but I recently pulled out Arkham Horror after a hibernation period and one of the things that has me really excited is getting a meaty Arkham Files game with nice linen cardstock. I'm not a fan of the glossy finish, as they feel cheap to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am worried about the overshadow aspect as well. I love Arkham, its been my baby for a long time and is one of the reasons I now get excited when I hear the phrase 'new board game'. Arkham is without doubt one of the reasons I now do board gaming as a hobby.

I'd be sad to see it permanently shelved by a younger model!

I had the same worries with Descent and its 2nd edition. Having now played both I consider them BOTH to have there own little faults and pluses, and am happy that I've got 1st edition without having to run off and grab 2nd edition.

Will Arkham and Eldritch be a similar affair? I watched the video and read up on everything about it so far, and regardless of how they wrap it up it just looks like Arkham Horror 2nd Edition to me.

Sure is has some different stuff, but you still move around a map drawing narrative encounters cooperatively hunting for stuff to help you whilst trying not to die because there's a GOO coming in for landing and there's monsters and stamina and sanity and if you fail he awakes and you have to have a final battle- **sharp inhalation**!

Sounds similar to me!
Only time and previews will make it become clearer. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely looks like AH Next to me, too, just with a different look on the theme. I wouldn't take this as a bad, though. I really don't see how they can add more expansions to AH -- Miskatonic being the final makes sense being an expansion expansion.

The nice thing is since it's a different thematic scope, it doesn't feel like they are directly overshadowing AH with EH. Only time will tell, though. I'd be surprised to see any more AH expansions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
It definitely looks like AH Next to me, too, just with a different look on the theme. I wouldn't take this as a bad, though. I really don't see how they can add more expansions to AH -- Miskatonic being the final makes sense being an expansion expansion.

The nice thing is since it's a different thematic scope, it doesn't feel like they are directly overshadowing AH with EH. Only time will tell, though. I'd be surprised to see any more AH expansions, though.

I agree with this, content is now overloaded for Arkham Horror and difficult to add new whistles and bells to this one.
I was always interested to see a modern redesign of Arkham Horror, especially after Coreys work on Mansions of Madness. I can see some of the similiarities carried over from that game to Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
I would have rather had a cthulhu game with a new set of mechanics like deduction, story telling, mystery etc that provides a totally fresh experience.

Actually, it might be amusing to adapt Chaosium's world-spanning "Masks of Nyarlathotep" adventure to EH mechanics so... never mind. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
world eater
msg tools
I'd really like to see a deep Cthulhu co-op with interesting mechanics and decisions.

I'm fine with RP and story telling, but MoM... I have nothing nice to say about MoM.

Please not another cthulhu themed stumblefest.

I love RP and theme, but I want great decision inducing mechanics too. I would like to have to strategize for the best character progression, cultivate particular resources and relationships in order to reach the win objective(s) in one of several possible interesting ways. How far under cover can I go, and how powerful can I become in my quest before my mind is turned to mush or my outspoken morality offends the wrong people or things? Perhaps in this game I need to court the forces of order and in the next the insane and horrifying ancients to assure victory. Perhaps my proclivities complicate my relationship with my co-operatives who were forced or opted for a different path.

Without knowing more about the game it would be hard to discuss specific mechanics that would play and theme well but I'd love to talk them through when we do.

heavily themed strategy game > box full of cardboard with a script.

BTW, thank you designers and publishers for bringing us new and fun things to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i think both AH and MOM are stumble fests, difficult to keep a rhythm going and notorious for forgetting to do something on a turn that pretty much makes you feel like giving up. For example a character is blessed and forgetting to roll for the belssing 3 turns then thinking no biggie ill just remember to do it next time only to forget about an enivorment card that would have had a dramatic impact and now im like awww i give up, feels like im cheating even if it is not intentional

to much to remember, to much to teach and to much space required for play. Also i once played a 5 hour game of AH ended epically but 5 hours. Not even sure how that was possible surely the doom track should have filled up by then but i remember it taking all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
gorkel wrote:

Im pretty sure someone here on BGG will figure out how to connect the two for epic GOO fighting adventure.

Three. When the explorers arrive in Arkham (in Eldritch Horror), then move to the Witch House (in Arkham Horror), you can start playing the Season of the Witch scenario (in Mansions of Madness).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

That's what they've done. I guess whether AH gets retired or not depends on how successful EH is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.