Subject: ISO: Great 2+ player strategy for small playing surface. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C T
United States
Bloomfield Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Looking for an awesome game with great replay ability to play on a small playing surface like a table at a restaurant.

Looking for something to play during dinner.
I love playing a quick game that involves strategy while waiting for our food to arrive.

Ideal Game characteristics:
2+ players
Able to be played on small surface area
fairly quick less than 45 mins
Great strategy
Great replay ability

I have played a few that fit some of the criteria (Masques and Timeline)

Masques -is awesome, GREAT strategy, GREAT replay ability, quick,cool screw over your opponent kind of game but it takes up kind of a lot of room....

Timeline - Small, compact, quick, easy going, fun but lacks strategy and lacks deep replay ability

Ive been searching Hi and Low, Hopefully someone can help me out

- My first post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommend Love Letter-

Easy to carry...check
Small playing surface requirement...check
Quick play... Check
Fun with two...check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens
The Battle for Hill 218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Race for the Galaxy. Your quest is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For actual restaurants, id stick to card games, though its unusual for them to be on the "deep" category.

There's Biblios, which my group really likes, the aforementioned Love Letter, Mystery Rummy and Parade.
Hanabi is cool.
Tichu (exactly 4p) an Mundus Novus are somewhat meatier.

For boardgames, Hive (2p) is very portable, and Ra takes little space, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend Hive, especially with the pocket version that is smaller and cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna
Trax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are listed in order of my ratings, from high to low:

Roma - 2-player, could take 10 minutes, could take 30. Easily fits on a restaurant table. No board. Cards and dice.

Aton - 2-player. Because this was published in 2006, it's probably not easily available. But if it's still around, it has a small board, takes about 20 minutes. Just the right amount of time while waiting for a food order.

Spot it! - definitely NOT a strategy game, but very cute fun. Rounds take only a couple of minutes, but you can play more than one variation.

Battle Line - 2-player. Cards and tiny markers. Takes about 15 minutes. Very strategic.

R-Eco - 2 - 4 players. Cards. Somewhat strategic. Takes about 15 minutes. It's from 2003, but Geek says there's a 2010 update, so perhaps it's still available.

Lords of Scotland - I read good reviews before I bought it, but so far I haven't played it enough to perfect a strategy.

Mamma Mia! - about pizza! So you know where you have to play this one. There are three versions, so it might be quite easy to find. Just cards.

All of these games fit easily on a restaurant table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Hive Pocket, Mr. Jack Pocket, Love Letter and Blokus Duo are all very portable, fun and strategic.

Some other portable favorites for two are:
Hey, That's My Fish! - has a lot of small, loose pieces and takes a little longer to set up but otherwise I think it fits your criteria.
I like Ghost Blitz better than Spot it! - it's a dexterity/reaction time brain game, so you may or may not love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Hive/pocket edition is probably best for what you want.

Or pick up some sets of Treehouse/Icehouse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb

I would also recommend Mr. Jack Pocket and Cold War: CIA vs KGB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't recommend Hive enough. My wife and I play that at restaurants constantly, and it works great. It's short enough we can sometimes get 3 games in, the pocket edition is small and light enough to carry around, and the tiles are a good density plastic that are very resistance to food and drink (and yes, that's been tested, unintentionally).

We also play Haggis quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C T
United States
Bloomfield Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
jukujin wrote:
I can't recommend Hive enough. My wife and I play that at restaurants constantly, and it works great. It's short enough we can sometimes get 3 games in, the pocket edition is small and light enough to carry around, and the tiles are a good density plastic that are very resistance to food and drink (and yes, that's been tested, unintentionally).

We also play Haggis quite a bit.

Thanks! That's a great point! I wouldn't want my cards getting wet on a table.
Also, I am a huge fan of environmental games. R-eco looks cool.
I have hive on my phone as well as hey that's my fish.

I'd love to play these games out before I buy them.

Keep the ideas coming ! Thanks everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.