The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Setting up 'To The River' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Trying to play 2 handed with my core set.

Setup says to reveal 1 encounter card per player, so I reveal 2. Start the round and the other side of the card makes be add a Hill Troll. Then I reach the actual staging phase and reveal another 2 cards from the encounter deck.

Is this right? You're meant to be pummeled right out the gate by 5 cards including a Troll? Just struck me strange since it's only the first quest of the second scenario. Been crushed a couple times now, unable to make it past the first quest.

I cobbled together two 50 card decks. One Eowyn, Aragorn and Theodred. The other Beravor Legolas and Thalin. The first deck seems good for questing; with eowyn's power and theodred to help aragorn ready himself again. The second deck I'm not so sure of. If I have to keep one hero it would be legolas. one of the few that gives me offense and questing power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did the setup right, though the Hill Troll is added only when it wasn't revealed as one of the first two cards.

Also try with decks with less than 50 cards. The core set contains quite a few crap cards you have to take if you want a 50-card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yep, looks like your setup was correct. You might want to consider having two Spirit heroes in one of the decks. It really helps to get some of the Spirit cards out faster, like Northern Tracker and The Galadhrim's Greeting.

Other than that, just hope for a bit of luck. It really helps to reveal a Troll as one of the first two cards, and you might occasionally come across an early Treachery card that has minimal effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Well, I kept the heroes as they were and just trimmed down the decks, and I won! Though by the skin of my teeth.

It was actually an unlucky start. Began with two Hill Trolls in the first round! And just as I was finishing them off, Marsh adder showed up. It felt so much easier once I passed the first quest. Then the Eowyn deck died by threat overload in late game.

On the last quest my Beravor was up to 48 threat when the staging area ballooned from 0 to 5 monsters due to surge effects. It was Thalin who saved me by taking out two crows and weakening the last 3 baddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Markson
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you didn't know Thalin kills the crows before the surge keyword triggers!
Makes him very useful against those pesky enemies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Really? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but is that explained somewhere in the rules? I just kind of assumed they both triggered simultaneously since they both say they trigger upon the card being revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the FAQ posted at FFG's site (scroll down a bit to reach the FAQ). The entry for Thalin reads:

The FAQ wrote:
When an enemy card is revealed from the encounter
deck, Thalin’s ability resolves before any keyword or
“When Revealed” card effects on the encounter card.

Since the crows have only 1 HP, Thalin's ability kills them, and thus they leave the table before the Surge keyword gets resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esin .
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Oh, and just to make sure; what counts as a card being 'in play'? I was wondering if I was allowed to damage enemies in the staging area when I played Gandalf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
esin wrote:
Oh, and just to make sure; what counts as a card being 'in play'? I was wondering if I was allowed to damage enemies in the staging area when I played Gandalf.

Yes, staging area is considered 'in play'.

When playing 'Escape from Dol Guldur', I don't think the Nazgul is considered 'in play' until the prisoner is rescued, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Nazgul is not in play at the beginning.

'In play' means in general 'face up', excluding the cards that were set aside as per the scenario setup instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.