Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I just bought Puerto Rico and have never played the game before and in fact have not even read the instructions yet. I bought the game because so many people love to play it and the price seemed very reasonable.

Here is my dilemma. I love to go into a game fresh without knowing any strategy and then this one guy I was playing another game with recently said "The game is all about corn wharfing. Buy corn, ship corn"

I really hope the game is not as cut and dry as far as that being the definitive strategy.

While I am not looking to read strategic articles or advice, I would greatly appreciate comments as to if this game is balanced and still enjoyable given any perceived obvious strategies.

Thanks,

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, more reassurance for you, Bob.
There's no perfect strategy. There's no way to always win.

As you learn the game, you'll learn how to adapt to what everyone else is doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobm174 wrote:

Here is my dilemma. I love to go into a game fresh without knowing any strategy and then this one guy I was playing another game with recently said "The game is all about corn wharfing. Buy corn, ship corn"

I really hope the game is not as cut and dry as far as that being the definitive strategy.

Don't fear Bob. That is certainly not a foolproof strategy. Its a common newbie strategy, but after a few plays you will find it is anything but surefire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. And tell this friend to leave you the heck alone.

There are perhaps not as many different strategies as I would like, but no, it's not just one strategy and then executing it properly. Fine game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many viable strategies. If you're playing with beginners, a strategy will beat no strategy. This is true whether the strategy is corn shipping or not.

Just get in there and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jones
United States
Jupiter
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game for the first time while in a similar position, but be warned: I almost did not play it a second time. Going in blindly usually is more fun for me also, but in this case it was extremely frustrating. It IS a game of very specific strategies, as the posts above illustrate. It's not that you need to choose a strategy, just be aware that there are strategies. That said, it is a very good game, and it may become great in my eyes once I play it enough.

There are plenty of session reports, reviews, and strategy discussions that you can check out beforehand under the game listing. Take the time to at least get an overview and check out the rules.

Hope that helps in your decision.
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mecoides
Australia
St Kilda
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it can be frustrating to play as a new player, I would recommend still skipping the strategy articles for a while. This game is best if all the players are at a similar skill level. If you start reading strategy articles before your group gets a chance to fully explore the nuances, you will find that most of your games will be, all the players trying to work out how best to stop the player who has read the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say read nothing!

Well, maybe read the rules once or twice. surprise But other than that, nothing!

Puerto Rico's a super-nifty, well thought out, well balanced game. Maybe you'll get more enjoyment out of not worrying about the strategies and the 'proper' plays, but just having fun with your friends. The game has much to offer, and will reveal itself in the fullness of time... devil

OK, well, if you end up going first, take Settler-quarry.

But other than that, don't read any strategy articles! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to use the tutorial here at the geek ...
160 slides in a powerpoint presentation to teach you the game.

When you did use the tutorial, make sure you read the comments by the post as well, two minor errors are in the presentation...

Greetz,
JeVo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=11973

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, PR is definitely one of those games that's more fun to "figure out" on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it is fun to figure out a game. It's especially fun if you are doing it with friends who have a similar interest. I had that kind of experience analyzing St. Petersburg with my group of friends because we all became interested in it at the same time and all enjoyed exploring strategies for it.

If you mainly play PR with your friends then enjoy the ride. However, if you venture on to BSW, you should read up on some PR strategy IMHO because the fun of figuring out the game will start to wane if you happen to find yourself losing over and over and over again to people who are playing the game from a more informed perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Compton
United States
Lawrence
KS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do decide you want to read some strategy then there is a posting here at BGG by "paeanblack" where he provides links to some of the best strategy articles. Here's the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/64032

That link will save you a lot of time rather than wading through lots and lots of postings. You may also consider trying my thread on strategy because a lot of what I put forth is based on or even directly comes from some of those articles listed in paeanblack's thread. Here's the link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/84735

There is also a Word document available in the P.R. files section that contains all of the postings (including graphics) on my thread so you can download it and print it off or read it in your spare time if you want (warning: it's a 36 page long read).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
As many more experienced players have said: it's not that simple.

As a relatively new PR player, here's some problems I've seen:

PR rules are very exact--I haven't seen a single erratum--but I have never seen more misapplied rules! In your first game, do things one at a time, reading the manual. For example, in setup, put the colonists on the colony ship, *then* put the number of colonists indicated in the colonist supply--the colonists on the ship *do not* count toward that total. The rules aren't hard, but there are a lot of them and they are not as parallel as players expect. For example, the Craftsman's privilege is taken at the end of the round, not immediately, unlike most other privileges.

Try different strategies. This can be difficult with such a long game: the temptation is always to try to do more of what worked last time. The different strategies that work are quite opposed from each other: you can't really ease from one to another.

***Maybe the following is more strategy than you want to know***

PR appears to be an economic game, which it is in a sense. But, pretty much all standard Economics mislead: coffee has the best profit margin, so coffee is best; I got a three hole tobacco storage, so I better make use of it with three tobacco plantations; money is good, more money is better--no, no, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.