Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble: This session report is in honor of the Solitaire Games on Your Table - August 2013 geeklist. If you play any type, style, genre of game solo, please come visit the monthly geeklist and post what you've played. There are plenty of solo gamers out there who enjoy this part of the hobby and like to discuss these games with other solitaire players. I hope you see you there. Now, on to the session report...

8/4/2013

Units = Black, Blue, Green, Red
Void Lock = 2 Player, Solo

VOID LOCK / 4 GS
Current Formation, Top to Bottom: Gideon, Deino, Noctis, Valencio, Leon, Scipio, Lorenzo, Lexicanium
Leon begins the mission with Full Auto and hits one of four attempts.
The Genestealers return the favor and miss their attack against Leon.
Meanwhile, Lorenzo Counter Attacks a single GS, but misses badly.
Rescue Space Marine

CORE COGITATOR / 8 GS
Current Formation, Top to Bottom: Gideon, Deino, Valencio, Noctis, Leon, Scipio, Lorenzo, Lexicanium
Scipio activates the Control Panel. Only 1GS may spawn at the Ventilation Duct next Event Phase.
Black Unit uses Stealth Tactics to remove one Blip card.
Deino and Lorenzo both miss upon their attacks.
Noctis tries to Run and Gun but misses all together.
Both Noctis and Valencio pay the price for so many missed attacks by the marines. Our first two marines have fallen.
Temporary Sanctuary, a 5GS swarm is moved back to the Blip Pile

Lorenzo Intimidates one more GS back to a Blip Pile.
Lexicanium tries his Psionic Attack but fails with a zero roll.
Leon follows up with Full Auto again hoping to help out. Again, another complete failure.
Gideon is under attack by 4GS but is able to Block them and survive.
Lorenzo fights off a smaller, 2GS swarm.
Secret Route

TELEPORTARIUM / 12 GS
Current Formation, Top to Bottom: Deino, Gideon, Lorenzo, Leon, Lexicanium, Scipio
Leon activates the Control Panel. All marines must discard a ST or roll higher than (0) to survive:
Deino = 5, Gideon = 1, Leon = 1, Lorenzo = -1ST, Lexicanium = -1ST, Scipio = 5
Lexicanium uses the Power Field to stop a 3GS swarm this round.
Gideon takes Dead Aim at a 4GS swarm and slays three of them.

GENERATORIUM / 9 GS
Current Formation, Top to Bottom: Deino, Gideon, Leon, Lorenzo, Lexicanium, Scipio

The GS make their attack after the location change.
Gideon is taken out by a single GS.
Deino is jumped from behind by 2GS and is slain.
And Lorenzo tries to Counter Attack but comes up with a zero.
The team loses three more of its brethren in the blink of an eye.
Quick Instincts, Lexicanium takes out 1GS as minor consolation

Scipio activates the Control Panel successfully taking out 4GS.
Stealth Tactics again removes a Blip card.
Leon hasn't given up on Full Auto yet. He hits one of three attempts this time.
Scipio is under attack by 8GS. He has no hope of survival.
Leon avoids attack from 1GS.
Stalking from the Shadows

TOXIN PUMPING STATION / 11 GS
Current Formation, Top to Bottom: Leon, Lexicanium

With only two marines remaining, the TPS is a hopeless location for our squandering team.
Lexicanium uses the Power Field to stop the 9GS swarm from attacking.
Leon survives the attack from the other swarm of 2GS.
Resupply

Lexicanium tries to activate the Control Panel but fails.
Stealth Tactics removes 1GS from a Blip Pile.
Leon makes one final Full Auto attack slaying 2GS.
Leon is then attacked from behind by 2GS. He cannot escape his end.
A large group of 11GS rush the lone Lexicanium. He has has no chance in the face of such a large number of evil beasts.

MISSION NOTES
For the past ten games I've played of this, I've used the Mission Pack 1 for the locations. I thought it was a good time to go back and use the locations from the base game and remind myself what those had to offer. Unfortunately, our return to them was not very successful.

The only thing my marines had going for them was forward movement. They did not stay in one location for more than two turns, with two of them only being one turn a piece. This is normally a good thing in this game, as staying in one location for too many rounds of enemy attack only increases your chances of failure from my experience. There have been a few exceptions of course, but generally moving quickly is a good thing.

Sadly, my marines failed miserably in the attack department this mission. As you will see in the stats section below, the attack numbers do not look so good. I normally hope to have at least a 60/40 split between Attacking and Defending. The less you need to defend the better. This mission, it was close to 50/50. You really want to be on the offensive as much as possible. Also, our successful attack percentage was barely over 40. Again, not what you want to see in this game. Just using basic statistics, you should expect a 50 percent hit ratio. The goal is to use your special abilities to increase that mark. Here, we went the opposite direction.

Oh well. It was still a fun time. I do enjoy this game quite a bit, and hopefully, we'll have a more successful mission next time out.

MISSION STATS
Result = Loss
Space Marine Survivors = 0 (0.00% survival)

Total # Die Rolls = 41

Total # Attack Rolls = 22 (53.7%)
Total # Attack Roll Hits = 9 (40.91% success)
Total # (0) Attack Rolls = 4 (18.18% of all Attack Rolls)

Total # Support Tokens Used for Attack = 3
Total # of Successful Rerolled Attack = 2 (66.67% success)

Total # Defense Rolls = 19 (46.34%)
Total # Defense Hits = 10 (52.63% failure)
Total # (0) Defense Rolls = 2 (10.53% of all Defense Rolls)

Total # Support Tokens Used for Defense = 1
Total # of Successful Rerolled Defense = 1 (100.00% success)

Final Note
If you enjoy this type of session report and stats, please take a look at my blog...Mo Plays SH: DA 100 Times.

And thanks for checking out this AAR!
Mo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't pulled this one out in awhile. Perhaps Ill try to get it on the table tonight after the kids go to bed. If so Ill post a report to the Solo games on your table list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mo7189 wrote:

Spotted your problem .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
mo7189 wrote:

Spotted your problem .

Yes, I know a lot of players say that. However, my least successful Unit has been the Black Unit. I'm not sure why that is; I should delve into that a little more. You can check out this blog post to see a listing of my cumulative stats through the first forty plays. Black has easily been the worst one.

Green has been right in line with Blue, Red, and Purple overall. The Yellow Unit is the only base game pair of marines that I've had excessive success with so far. The two marine Units from the Space Marine Pack 1 also have a very favorable win percentage so far.

Thanks for reading the report, Rauli! Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Friman wrote:
mo7189 wrote:
my least successful Unit has been the Black Unit. I'm not sure why that is

It could be because of lack of practice with that particular team (I can't remember if you recorded the number of plays with each team). Also, in my experience, the Black team is heavily configuration dependant. They rock or they may suck, depending on the rest of the teams you draw and the number of teams in play. Anyway, they are a bit hard to master.

LC got stuck at the bottom of the formation the entire game as well. He didn't get involved in hardly any of the action. I wonder if I should have spent two turns to move him toward the middle early on. I hedged against it worrying that the number of GS would jump up too quickly. But it happened anyway. shake

Thanks for the comment, Nano!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PotatoChip .
msg tools
Yeah, black combos very well with purple.

I find that green is only bad in smaller games. As the squad size scales up, green becomes a lot more useful. In a 6-player game for instance, where you can feasibly have a tank on every entrance, he becomes immensely useful since every major spawn is a deathball that needs to be tanked and you get a lot more out of the "roll a 4 and kill 3" special since if I remember correctly it has one of the highest attack priorities aside from blue meaning you can luck out and save some support tokens on your other marines when shooting onto the 3+ swarms, which are every swarm in a 6-player game. Really my only gripe with green is that run and gun is basically worthless. If run and gun let you make a free attack after moving without having to spend a support token, green would be substantially more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
PotatoChip wrote:
Yeah, black combos very well with purple.

I find that green is only bad in smaller games. As the squad size scales up, green becomes a lot more useful. In a 6-player game for instance, where you can feasibly have a tank on every entrance, he becomes immensely useful since every major spawn is a deathball that needs to be tanked and you get a lot more out of the "roll a 4 and kill 3" special since if I remember correctly it has one of the highest attack priorities aside from blue meaning you can luck out and save some support tokens on your other marines when shooting onto the 3+ swarms, which are every swarm in a 6-player game. Really my only gripe with green is that run and gun is basically worthless. If run and gun let you make a free attack after moving without having to spend a support token, green would be substantially more useful.

A 6P game?! That's sounds harsh, PC. I hope you aren't playing that way solo. Although I would like to try it...once.

As for Run & Gun, I've used that more often than Red Unit's Overwatch. Obviously, they have different main actions, so maybe I shouldn't compare them, but I've used the special attack with R&G much more often than the special attack with OW. At least with R&G, you can get a shot in before your regular Attacks. With OW, you're sort of waiting it out until after the Event Phase, hoping you're where you want to be to get in that one-shot.

With both of them, I think they are most useful when the Gun Jam event card is in effect. That way, you can still make an attack with those marines even if they can't use the main Attack card.

BTW...welcome to BGG! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PotatoChip .
msg tools
I did a solo 6P game once. I think a lot of the difficulty is supposed to come from your team not making optimal moves every turn, since when I did do it alone, it honestly seemed too easy.

I've mostly played the standard 3 fire team solo rules with genestealers, although I'm started to play around with the two player rules that includes 4 fire teams, since you've got more permutations and it plays differently somewhat (I've also played some games with nids, but they're just too hard, my win rate against genestealers is ~65%, and my win rate against nids is ~15%).

Anyways, I agree Run and Gun is more useful than Overwatch, but that isn't saying much, since I think I've used the Overwatch effect 1-2 times in over 50 playthroughs. I also think Overwatch would be more useful if you got a free shot after the Event Phase, rather than having to spend a token to make that shot. Arguably could make red too useful though so I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.