Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original version of Torres is available fairly cheap on ebay, and the new "big-box" version is at my FLGS for about $45.00. Is the new version significantly more appealing aesthetically, or should I save the bucks and pick up an extra game with what I save?laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like the old version. I find the newer castles nicer looking but I like the original artwork and box size. My advice is to look at the photos here and buy the one that appeals to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewandowski
United States
Accokeek
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The older version looks the best to me, but it'll really come down to personal taste. I like the whole Spanish castle theme of the first version, and the tan tower pieces go nicely with it. The new grey towers seem very generic medieval to me.

Rules wise, the games are the same (well, maybe a very minor rules change... check the forums for the game), so as suggested above, take a look at the pictures and choose which one looks best to you. Either version will give you a great game, one of my favorites, and I don't really like abstracts all that much.

/Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the cut-and-paste collage-style art (I dunno how else to describe it) in the first game. Smaller box, too, from what I've heard about the new one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer the art in the older version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't like the old artwork, but the old box (smaller) is MUCH better than the new one.
It's just a matter of tastes; look at the pictures and make your choice.
Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is entirely abstract, so there's no point in going for a more 'thematic' cover art...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the older box is smaller...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We can't tell you which art style you'd like better. There don't appear to be any component quality issues between the two versions, so just go with what looks best to you.

If I were going to buy it, I'd probably go for the smaller box (older) edition. I like the artwork from that edition (YMMV) and it's a much more manageable box size compared to the oversized (Tikal-size) box the new version comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art on the old board/box is one of my favorites.

But, if I didn't own the game, I think I'd just buy the cheaper version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a perfect world, I would want the old-stlye artwork (and smaller box)with the new taller towers. The original artwork was fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.