Subject: Cover bonus; what do you do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So think a 7 figure unit, 1 figure in the open, 3 in a wood, and 3 in rocky ground. When its shot at which if any cover does it get?
Given that the the original rule on p22 said "to benefit from cover a unit must have at least 2/3 of its models within or behind such terrain", and the Ravens Shadow errata changed it to "to benefit from a cover a unit must have at least 2/3 of its models within or behind such terrain"
Any thoughts appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to boil down to rounding up or down. +1 cover for the wood and +2 cover for the rocky ground. I would go for +1 as there are more figures out of rocky ground than in it. The same can be said for the wood, but a rounding down of cover I think is acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive thanks for the reply. Tried same question on the saga forum and the concenus appears to agree with your soft cover option. I'd imterpret "a cover" to mean that 2/3 should be in a terrain feature to claim that cover, otherwise no cover! I have to admit the more I read the rules, the stranger they appear to be, and most players seem to use whats reasonable instead. Of course that leads to the question "whats reasonable"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hiers
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with this consensus.

We have found the rules don't get in the way of game play. They provide a sound foundation, which is then augmented as you say by playing what is reasonable. For instance, we automatically assume infantry three-deep, and mounted two-deep can get into the fight regardless of base size. We still measure occasionally for the odd man out, but communication between players before and during the game keeps everything in check. Bottom line, rules should enhance the enjoyment of the game, not bog it down.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.