Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have spent the better part of an evening mock-setting-up and mock-playing Scenario One, with the intention of inviting some friends over for an Evening of Horrific Games.

My wife and I are old hands with Lovecraft, but I'm wondering what the community here would recommend for non-familiar people as a bit of pre-reading to get that ol' Lovecraft feeling. We were sorting through some rusty memories of the H.P. stories, and the mythos classics -- Call of Cthulhu, Mountains of Madness -- are more "hey, sea voyage with monsters!" stories than "haunted house" stories.

Other favourites of ours also don't quite seem to line up: "The Rats in the Walls" is more full-bore crazy with the added bonus of a rrrreally racist cat, "The Color Out of Space" is kinda... hillbilly.

We admit we're a bit Mythos-rusty. What do you send to friends to really juice them up for an evening of Lovecraft gaming? Dunwich Horror? Charles Dexter Ward?

What stories would YOU advise non-familiar friends to read to get ready for an evening in the Mansions of Madness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Dexter Ward might be a good fit, thematically, for scenario one.

Longer answer: I think it depends on the scenario, and I'm blanking out on some of the obvious titles right now. For example, if you play The Yellow Sign expansion, you will want to read The King in Yellow (not Lovecraft, but an inspiration). If you play scenario 3 or 4, you will probably want to read The Whisperer in Darkness. Forbidden Alchemy has a sequel scenario to Herbert West: Reanimator, while Call of the Wild has one that's a take on The Dunwich Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your noon-Love craft blowing friends are as lazy as mine, you might want to point them toward the H.P. Lovecraft Live podcast. They do pretty good readings of HPL stories. They even got a German guy to read "The Temple," which was pretty sweet.
Their version of "The Picture in the House" really creeped me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Thompson
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to get my friends to watch (not read) the 2005 movie Call of Cthulhu. Despite being only 8 years old, It's B&W silent movie and serves as a nice lead-up to what the game is about. Stays pretty close to the short story of he same name.
I don't think anyone watched it.
For the game day, I put on a stream of "Midnight Syndicate" on the speaker system (There are channels with multiple songs).
Which everyone said helped add to the creepy atmosphere of the game.

Also, Call of Cthulhu and I think Reanimator were free on Netflix streaming. If you have time, you could play one or the other for your friends before you start play (assuming you have netflix streaming, that is).
-Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.