Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that in the first turn players loose VP for the empty cards slots. My question is what is the point, every body only gets 5 cards so each player will loose 1 VP so why not just start with 7 instead of 8 VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First player will lose 2 VP on first turn since two slot will be empty (6 die slots + bribery = 7 possible starting places). Thenthe second player can possibly lose more than 2 VPs if the first player successfully attacks and eliminates opposing card(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
First player will lose 2 VP on first turn since two slot will be empty (6 die slots + bribery = 7 possible starting places). Thenthe second player can possibly lose more than 2 VPs if the first player successfully attacks and eliminates opposing card(s).

So the bribery spot counts as an empty slot? We didn't use it in our first game. I still don't understand why loose points the first turn, would it make things unbalanced to skip this step?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
fardoche wrote:

So the bribery spot counts as an empty slot? We didn't use it in our first game. I still don't understand why loose points the first turn, would it make things unbalanced to skip this step?

I like it how it's written because when teaching this game to someone new, it's a visual example of how important it is to keep your slots filled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get how the bribery spot works, can someone explain? Is it a new spot that you just pay whatever gold equal to the die you place there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, bribery counts as a slot.

How it works: once a card has been placed there according to normal rules, you can activate it by using a die of any value and paying an amount of money equal to tje value of the dice you used to activate it.

For example, if you use a "3" dice to activate a card in the bribery slot, you would have to pay 3 coins to activate it. Usually, of course, you will try to use low dice to pay less...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Yes, bribery counts as a slot.

How it works: once a card has been placed there according to normal rules, you can activate it by using a die of any value and paying an amount of money equal to tje value of the dice you used to activate it.

For example, if you use a "3" dice to activate a card in the bribery slot, you would have to pay 3 coins to activate it. Usually, of course, you will try to use low dice to pay less...

Cool thanks.

So if we wanted a longer game could we just start with say 10 VP each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
So if we wanted a longer game could we just start with say 10 VP each?

There's an option in the rules to not use the bribery spot. I find it makes the game a little longer, but not unduly so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with 10 VPs would leave 4 VPs less in the reserve and depleting the reserve is one way to end the game. So your tweak to lengthen the game could "backfire". But it's your game, play it as you wish if it fits your taste better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a few more games in tonight and figured out a way to slow the game down and make it more strategic. I tried starting with 12 VP but one player could still get reduced to zero rather fast depending in the way the cards come out. I finally decided to try with each player starting with 6 cards instead and this really worked well. It tacked on a few more turns without making the game drag but gave each player a chance to really try to develop some sort of strategy. When we tried it this way we started with 12VP but I may drop it back down to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding this thread a year later and am totally confused-- my rules say to start with 10 VP each. Did this change in a later printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, we officially start with 10 VPs but the very first thing the starting player does is lose 2 VPs because of the 2 empty spaces, so you really have 8 VPs to start with. The second player may start its first turn with less for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.