Subject: You gotta be kidding me! A Rant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Chef
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Why companies still use lame wooden blocks and bad art for wargames is beyond me; I won't buy or play a game that is not up to the production standards of Memoir '44, Axis & Allies, Blood Feud In New York, etc. C&C Ancients looks like crap compared to them. There is no way in hell I am putting stickers on blocks; what am I paying the company for if I have to do that kind of grunt work myself? I must have cool plastic minis to move about the board or I have zero interest in playing. The artwork on the stickers is embarrassing beyond belief; boring and ugly and about the quality you'd expect from a high school art class, not a professional artist. This company obviously has no standards. You'd think Richard Borg has enough "street cred" by now in the industry that he could have gotten a "name-brand" publisher to put this out like Avalon Hill or Days of Wonder. What a sorry looking excuse for a boardgame. It looks like Squad Leader or one of those hideously complex old "advanced" wargames with all the little cardboard chits that were no fun and took days to play. Gimme a break!!!

Light ("beer'n'pretzels") wargames must be packaged to a different audience; that audience will not, by and large, accept such cheap, antiquated production standards. I certainly won't and neither will any of my friends. Our first rule of thumb is: If it doesn't look cool, with lots of flashy minis and art, then it must suck and be all boring and complicated like Squad Leader.

So... No sale!!! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
maybe this is more your speed...

http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.viewproduct/product_id.17412/d...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This argument was pounded by both sides months ago, when the production was reveled.

Neither won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you have absolutely no games listed as owned or rated, would you care to expound upon which games are "worth" playing?

I personally will not play any games that use wood, cardboard, plastic, bakalite, or metal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the most pathetic argument I've ever heard.

Stick to doily games.

Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders etc.

If putting a few stickers on throws you into a tizzy you aren't cut out to be a wargamer.

Sorting the counters for the ASL system woulda caused you to die instantly.

C&C:A plays fun. That's what matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
They obviously don't care of smacktards like you buy the game over at GMT. It's ok, I bought an extra copy to make up for you not buying one.Somehow, I think they will manage to stay in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Kooistra
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else take this sarcastically? My first thought was that it was a joke, but now I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron_Chef wrote:
Our first rule of thumb is: If it doesn't look cool, with lots of flashy minis and art, then it must suck and be all boring and complicated like Squad Leader.

I'll second Xlyce's suggestion--stick to 'My Little Pony' games, or perhaps if you're in the mood for something heavy you could whip out 'Barbie's Dream Date Game'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The post seems sarcastic or troll-like, I can't tell which.

The blocks are great. They look good and are easy to move around. I was impressed with the huge number of colored and finished blocks. I was not at all impressed by the cheap looking plastic minis that come with Memoir '44. If you want nice pre-painted minis, check out Heroscape or Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Martin
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the wooden blocks! I'm more likely to buy a wargame that uses the blocks over plastic figures or paper counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I must have cool plastic minis to move about the board or I have zero interest in playing.

It must be a joke. I can think of some die-hard Eagle/FFG-types that might think like this, but none that would embarrass themselves like this.

Either someone in an asylum snuck online, or Richard Borg is pulling our legs laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.