Recommend
36 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Rise and Decline of the Third Reich» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A Most Audacious Game part 27 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter ’42 Allied Player Turn --- Grinding the Grind


The Allies continue their roll to a quick end to the Axis. During the first few turns after the fall of France they dithered. Essentially scoffing at the Axis knowing that reinforcements were on the way. Perhaps they were also not entirely with a good plan. But now they have one.



Britain is set on tackling Italy and Russia going to finish off the German presence in the east. Leningrad must be recaptured else more BRPs go to the withering foe. Germany bought itself at least a turn by its move but only because Russia is down to 15 BRPs and can only offensive on one front. The US finally gets in to the game and joins the UK in its Mediterranean offense.



First are the naval moves. Britain moves a 9FF from Oran and a 6FF from Port Said to Tripoli. Seeing no other units in port save the Maltese garrison, Italy seeks to prevent any substantial invasion by intercepting just the 6FF since 9FF can’t carry the 4-5 in Tripoli. All 27FF from Taranto declare the intercept and the battle is joined halving the British fleet.



Then the UK clears Libya of any Italian resistance en route to its target hex in Tunisia while the US rolls up to the Italians in the Kasserine Pass. Russia surrounds Leningrad and moves against the forces in western Poland.











Russia goes on the offensive but reserves its entire air force for defense. It will be entirely up the ground forces. First Leningrad is assaulted at 2:1 and the last Germans in Russia are eliminated. Then the isolated units are rescued from starvation by an attack on the Ge 12Arm which valiantly earns a full exchange. Berlin is once again in peril.



The Western Allies press the issue in a multipronged attack. The RAF spends itself counterairing the Germans in Western Sicily. Montgomery’s forces destroy the blocking Italian armor and advance to breakthrough, while the Patton’s green troops do the same against the other Italian armor corps. Meanwhile the forces at Malta land at Syracuse and the Red Devils drop at Cagliari. The exploitation attack cuts off all the units in Africa except the 2-3 in Tunis. This puts the first of the three Italian surrender conditions one turn from completion and the second not far behind. Even if Italy succeeds in repulsing the attack in Sicily, Corsica and Sardinia are now in play too. Grim news, my mini-goals of Italy surviving until late ’43 and Germany doing the same seem quite out of reach.



Russia moves more forces to the front line most notably the airborne into Konigsberg in range of Berlin. The US withdraws an armor back to Oran while another moves from Britain to Gibraltar. Nearly all of Britain’s SRs are putting the RAF into Africa plus two more infantry to port in Port Said – the Allies intend to secure one or all of the Italian islands. Even France’s defenses are put in jeopardy with two armor aboard ship in Britain and the US XVIII airborne corps littering the streets of London.



I feel as our end game practice is reaching its end game.












Part 28 @ www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1017337/a-most-audacious-game-p...
36 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
An absolute pleasure to read as always even though the outcome of the war seems little in doubt . Of course there is always the question of who will win the 3 player game.

In my experience of these type of games to be on the winning side is usually enough and most people (including me) dont care who the winning player is just glad that their/my alliance won.

Do your erstwhile foes feel the same way ?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bluekingzog wrote:
An absolute pleasure to read as always even though the outcome of the war seems little in doubt . Of course there is always the question of who will win the 3 player game.

In my experience of these type of games to be on the winning side is usually enough and most people (including me) dont care who the winning player is just glad that their/my alliance won.

Do your erstwhile foes feel the same way ?


Speaking on behalf of the anti-Axis coalition, Steve and I had an agreement that we would play cooperatively in the sense that any actions we undertook would be done with an eye on both of us getting a decisive victory. We weren't too fussed about how long it took ...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
bluekingzog wrote:
An absolute pleasure to read as always even though the outcome of the war seems little in doubt . Of course there is always the question of who will win the 3 player game.

In my experience of these type of games to be on the winning side is usually enough and most people (including me) dont care who the winning player is just glad that their/my alliance won.

Do your erstwhile foes feel the same way ?


Speaking on behalf of the anti-Axis coalition, Steve and I had an agreement that we would play cooperatively in the sense that any actions we undertook would be done with an eye on both of us getting a decisive victory. We weren't too fussed about how long it took ...



For my part, I would simply keep adjusting my mini-goals to fit the situation. Deter, delay, respond and spoil. Play as if it's '44 and hope the board becomes unbalanced enough to fracture the Alliance. There, at least, the length of game remaining works in my favor -- a mistake or an unfortunate roll might put one ally too far behind the other. Then I could swing the limited Axis forces against the superior threat.

But first, I must survive one more turn. So winter '42 must save spring '43.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also in a much better frame of mind by this point. The bad luck early is no longer a dominant theme and here I am getting to play a classic situation for both Italy and Germany though they should not be concurrently. This may rob Italy of some key German aid or worse cause Germany to fall too soon.

So while the outcome doesn't seem in doubt, the hows and whens are intriguing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So essentially, this is the Hitler-wishful-thinking-in-the-bunker reasoning.

If something dreadful happens, there's no way the West would allow Germany to fall to the Communists.

SewerStarFish wrote:
dougposkitt wrote:
bluekingzog wrote:
An absolute pleasure to read as always even though the outcome of the war seems little in doubt . Of course there is always the question of who will win the 3 player game.

In my experience of these type of games to be on the winning side is usually enough and most people (including me) dont care who the winning player is just glad that their/my alliance won.

Do your erstwhile foes feel the same way ?


Speaking on behalf of the anti-Axis coalition, Steve and I had an agreement that we would play cooperatively in the sense that any actions we undertook would be done with an eye on both of us getting a decisive victory. We weren't too fussed about how long it took ...



For my part, I would simply keep adjusting my mini-goals to fit the situation. Deter, delay, respond and spoil. Play as if it's '44 and hope the board becomes unbalanced enough to fracture the Alliance. There, at least, the length of game remaining works in my favor -- a mistake or an unfortunate roll might put one ally too far behind the other. Then I could swing the limited Axis forces against the superior threat.

But first, I must survive one more turn. So winter '42 must save spring '43.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than surrender, it's the only viable strategy left to the Axis. I believe it's called: "The Death of a Thousand Tiny Cuts".

Defend as best you can, counter attack at weak points and make everything as costly as possible. But within the confines of the game:

Mini-goal #1: Survive the next turn
Mini-goal #2: Have Italy survive until Fall of '43
Mini-goal #3: Have Italy survive until '44
Mini-goal #4: Have Germany survive until '44
Mini-goal #5: Have Germany survive until '45
Mini-goal #6: Have Germany surrender on the last game turn with some chance of recapturing Berlin
Mini-goal #7: Have Germany survive the game
Mini-goal #8: Have Germany achieve Stalemate conditions
Mini-goal #9: Have Italy survive the game
Mini-goal #10: Achieve original goal and win bigger than either of my opponents.


I am almost confident in #1. That's about it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing I forgot to mention that is funny to me only now. I got all high and might last session about building on a Soviet hex. Damned if that wasn't the first thing the Russians fixed during their move.

Nuts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Mad Corporal

By and large you seem to be having a conversation with yourself in this post.

Regards,

WC & FDR

Note: This would seem to confirm the Soviet and western Allied intelligence reports (at this point in the war) that the Axis leadership had inhabited an "odd world" in which Herr Painter appeared to have lost all sense of reality. Sources close to the Mad Corporal report that he had taken to pushing imaginary panzer units around on his strategic mapboard ... perhaps in a desperate attempt to stave off the inevitable?

This post must be tempered by the fact that neither Steve nor I can confirm such reports, though we did wonder ...

devil

This may be the AAR, but who says the war is over ... ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if I should update everyone that the next session is pending review and that the impatient ones can see it at geekmod?

Yes I think I will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.