Game Length : 4.75 hrs
Winner : SHAWN
End Card: Crown & Sceptre

Adam: Troll
Paul: Swashbuckler
Shawn: Dwarf
Brian: Philosopher / Dread Knight

* * * * * * * * * * WORST OF THE WORST * * * * * * * * * *

Check out my Gallery for pictures of this event!

We had decided to take the 8 worst characters and play a “Worst of the Worst” game. Much debate and research went into deciding the 8 worst characters. We settled on the following (in no particular order):

DreadKnight
Elf
Dwarf
Ghoul
Priest
Swashbuckler
Philosopher
Troll

The idea was we would each be dealt two of the above characters. If our first character was killed we would have to play our second one. No other characters would be in play. In theory it sounded like a fun idea - and in fact it truly was!

Things started out well. Each of us were happy with our particular choice. Shawn thought that despite the lack of any good abilities, the Dwarf had a fate of 5 and pretty good attributes making him a well rounded character. Brian elected the Philosopher since he started with 2 spells and had some good abilities too. Paul chose the Swashbuckler. He said it was because he could add 1 to his die roll in the tavern but I think it was the feather in his hat that did it for him. I decided upon the Troll. Yes, he only had a craft of 1, but his strength was 6 and with the ability to regenerate lives on a roll of 6 I figured I could get through the worst of it while i built myself up.

For a couple of months now, I have been talking up the Timescape from the 2nd edition and we have included it in our revised 4th edition games. So far only Shawn and myself have had the gusto to head in there. When Paul drew a Warp Gate card we simply said “Look - it’s the worst of the worst game - what have you got to lose?” So off he went. He was rewarded for his trouble with a Power Glove and an Alien Artifact before being Imprisoned!!! We had to look up RULE 8. Nobody actually knew what Rule 8 was so to the Rule Book we went.

It turns out Rule 8 says that you have to roll equal to or less than your Craft on two dice to free yourself. With a craft of 3 Paul wasn’t too happy about this and we thought for sure he’d be sitting there for three rounds.

I was as shocked as anyone when he actually rolled a 3 on two dice his first time! He was thrilled and had certainly earned an “I’VE BEEN TO THE TIMESCAPE AND BACK” T-shirt. Too bad we don’t actually have any of those.

Relatively early on in the game Shawn had picked up the Hammer of Light. This was a card we had yet to see in play in all our games and all were envious. Brian especially so and he made no bones about it - he was going to take that hammer from Shawn if it was the last thing he did. Shawn was up for the challenge and less than 20 minutes later Brian cast the Acquisition Spell on Shawn to take that very item. Shawn (who had been smug the whole way along) simply pulled a spell of his own - (and now we knew why he was being so smug)- it was the Hydra Spell thus allowing him to effectively steal it right back! Shawn was thrilled and may have been destined to stay that way for the rest of the game.

Brian was unhappy and alas, may too have been destined to stay that way for the rest of the game! The clock struck 12 noon and the Philosopher was killed! Brian had to play his 2nd Worst of the Worst character which was the Dread Knight. For those who do not know there is a long and bitter history of Brian playing this character. Even though the Dread Knight looks like the toughest MF that’s ever graced the earth, the reality is...he sucks. Every time Brian has played him he has been killed. As soon as he had to take the Dread Knight I could tell Brian wasn’t happy.

I had picked up the Wand which allowed me to always have a spell. By the way it took me three hours to get enough craft to actually have one! Eventually though I did and the spell casting started. One of my spells was Toadify. I had to engage a character or a creature. The fates determined that Brian aka the Dread Knight would be that foe! I hated to do this to Brian since he had already been killed but war is war and happy monks are happy monks.

Being Toadified was the last straw for Brian. He hated the Dread Knight and hated being a toad even more. His bad luck wasn’t even done yet though and within an hour he was taunted - I mean - killed a second time. He saluted us, bid us fare- well and left. His drive home more than likely exposed some drivers on New Jersey’s Route 78 to some Talisman Road Rage....Sorry Brian (and anyone on Rt 78).

So with three players remaining the game was heating up! Spells were being cast, lots of great magic objects were being picked up and each of us felt we were within reach of the Crown Of Command. There was a lot of action in a very short space of time - Shawn cast the Shatter spell getting rid of my Wand thus ending my Magical Supremacy. I got more Followers than I have ever had before - Warhorse,Wayfarer,Beast Master, Mule, Magpie, Trailblazer, Treasure Hunter, Fez...the list goes on and on! At one point I had to discard a Follower at random so under the table I went with the followers spread out in a fan. Paul volunteered to be the one to reach under and pull one at random. After two minutes Shawn asked what the delay was. “I’m still reaching” said Paul.

Unexpectedly Shawn ended up at the Portal of Power and decide to try to go into the Inner Region. Usually when we get to this point we’ll have somewhere between 12 - 18 in the chosen Attribute. He was doing it with 9! (Maybe that’s why it was the shortest game we’ve ever had).
He slowly made his way through the inner region while Paul and I realized time was running out and scrambled to make something out of anything. Can I tell you that this is the first time ever Shawn has reached the Crown of Command?

He was thrilled - check out his picture...

When he turned over the End Card it was one we have never experienced. CROWN AND SCEPTRE. Paul was miles from the Inner Region but had a good 9 lives. I had 5 and was actually at the portal of Power when Shawn reached the Crown. Earlier on in the game I had got through the Highlands and earned the Arnkell. At the time I though it was a pretty crap card since you had to dump all your followers to teleport, I discarded it. Now i realized what an incredibly powerful card it is. I could have used that to get to the Crown Of Command in one turn and possibly changed the outcome of the game. But I had 5 lives and 6 moves to get there.....I was killed at Werewolves Den and Paul was killed just two turns after that.

Congratulations to Shawn (and the Dwarf) for his first ever win!!!!!!!!

He won the WORST OF THE WORST GAME But as he likes to tell everyone he is the:

BEST of the WORST of the WORST

QUOTE OF THE DAY : “It’s been 20 minutes, i thought it was my turn to roll” Brian muttered quietly to himself.

DRINK OF THE DAY : The Merry Monks. It’s a Belgian Style Tripel ALE. Does it taste good? Why yes it does but that’s not why I bought it. Look at the picture on the bottle. Not we were not playing with the Monk Character but still....how could I not?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: onsters & Magic Game Log 8/4/2013
adjogi wrote:

We had decided to take the 8 worst characters and play a “Worst of the Worst” game. Much debate and research went into deciding the 8 worst characters. We settled on the following (in no particular order):

DreadKnight
Elf
Dwarf
Ghoul
Priest
Swashbuckler
Philosopher
Troll
Troll for me is one of the best characters. Starting with Str 6, he only really needs to gain three Str (quite possibly just 3 turns in the Dungeon) and he is ready for the Inner Region assuming he has a Talisman. Elf too is in the upper half of the characters (even when adding power-creeper expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme.
badge
"Drip"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and the Dread Knight is also quite strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another group playing the Hydra Spell incorrectly!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please expand on your thoughts on the Hydra spell - we had questioned it at the time and i would love to get another opinion on it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For a couple of months now, I have been talking up the Timescape from the 2nd edition and we have included it in our revised 4th edition games.
I just can't see doing this. I know we're short a corner xpac still but including that in a 4e game just wouldn't feel right. In fact, IMHO it would be outright wonky.

Regardless... Nice session.

Regarding the troll, I also think he's not bottom tier. Six str is really exceptional. One would be right to think he'll lose a lot of early/sissy craft battles but he has the life pad (6) to take a few of those hits.

I have yet to see a troll win but I've never known him to be anemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls