Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with the new cards over the weekend, and I had an Exile deck that used 3 x Kati Jones and 3 x Daily Casts along with 1 Sure Gamble. I know the single Sure Gamble is probably not the right number, and that 3 probably is.

That aside, I found the two economy resources to be pretty underwhelming. In the case of Kati Jones, I just felt like I was losing a turn each time putting credits on her. It takes like at least 4 turns to reap any benefit at all, and that's about 9 credits. Which is pretty bad when I can get 10 out of Opus in 5 clicks (or 1.25 turns).

Daily Casts was a little better, and I could see having multiples out being really good. But during the games I often found myself in a position where I needed credits and couldn't get any. I'd get the two at the beginning from DC, but then that's it. So I'd have like 2 credits that turn.

I went back to Magnum Opus and it was just like old times, 6 or 8 credits a turn if I want, easy to just pile them up for when you need them. I ran Dinosaurus to pick up the slack on memory.

It seems like the current trend is shying away from Magnum Opus for 'better' economy, but what is that? I'm really not sure what a good economy suite is right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kati is more efficient over the long term. You can get up to 3 credits/click with her.

For the best economy, you should mix Resource based economy with Event based economies. Events for quick infusions and resource for steady growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I played with the new cards over the weekend, and I had an Exile deck that used 3 x Kati Jones and 3 x Daily Casts along with 1 Sure Gamble. I know the single Sure Gamble is probably not the right number, and that 3 probably is.

That aside, I found the two economy resources to be pretty underwhelming. In the case of Kati Jones, I just felt like I was losing a turn each time putting credits on her. It takes like at least 4 turns to reap any benefit at all, and that's about 9 credits. Which is pretty bad when I can get 10 out of Opus in 5 clicks (or 1.25 turns).

Daily Casts was a little better, and I could see having multiples out being really good. But during the games I often found myself in a position where I needed credits and couldn't get any. I'd get the two at the beginning from DC, but then that's it. So I'd have like 2 credits that turn.

I went back to Magnum Opus and it was just like old times, 6 or 8 credits a turn if I want, easy to just pile them up for when you need them. I ran Dinosaurus to pick up the slack on memory.

It seems like the current trend is shying away from Magnum Opus for 'better' economy, but what is that? I'm really not sure what a good economy suite is right now.

The current trend is late to catch up to the new cards; Magnum Opus really was a pretty poor play prior to C&C, but with all of the various new ways there are to get it into play with the new cards quickly and reliably (Self Modifying Code + Stimhack and Test Run + Scavenge are two big combos for getting it out for even fewer credits than playing it from your hand, for example, and either one can FETCH it in addition to making it cheaper), the case for Magnum Opus is better now than it has been for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Angell
msg tools
i like daily casts, modded, sure gamble, opus and workshop in shaper.

imo self modifying code has solved almost all the problems i had with opus and that was if i played it on turn 1 i couldnt risk an ichi or rototurret so i could not apply pressure. now with opus + code spoofing a sentry breaker you no longer need to find a sentry breaker before you are up and running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afrofrycook wrote:
Kati is more efficient over the long term. You can get up to 3 credits/click with her.

For the best economy, you should mix Resource based economy with Event based economies. Events for quick infusions and resource for steady growth.

Yeah, I think that was my problem is that I leaned to heavily on the resource cards. Maybe I could do 3 Kati, 3 Daily, 3 Sure Gamble, and 3 Easy Mark. That's a lot of deck space though.

I'm not sold yet. I think Magnum and Modded plus 3 Sure Gamble might be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kati Jones exists mainly to support a front-loaded economy, typically event driven, as a solution to running out of money in the late-game. She is not a replacement for MO, which is much more a backbone economy card. If you expect her to do the same job, you will be disappointed.

Honestly I just think she doesn't fit well in Shaper, who have a lot of economic stability already. Also Dirty Laundry is better than spending influence to get Easy Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best Shaper Economy card is Aesops Pawnshop.

Cards that becomes better by being sold to Aesop:

Ice Analyzer (when most rezzing has been done)
Armitage Codebusting (with 2 cr left)
Daily Casts (with 4 cr left, take 2 cr and then sell it)
Bank Job (with 1 cr left)
Imp (empty)
Kati Jones (empty. If you just needed that one big credit boost and don't want to build her up slowly again)
Any copy of a card already in play, that you also have on Personal Workshop

plus it can turn any 0 cost non-event into a slightly delayed Easy Mark.

And Aesop doesn't even require a click to do all this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SonnyDK wrote:
The best Shaper Economy card is Aesops Pawnshop.

Cards to that becomes better by being sold to Aesop:

Ice Analyzer (when most rezzing has been done)
Armitage Codebusting (with 2 cr left)
Daily Casts (with 4 cr left, take 2 cr and then sell it)
Bank Job (with 1 cr left)
Imp (empty)
Kati Jones (empty. If you just needed that one big credit boost and don't want to build her up slowly again)
Any copy of a card already in play, that you also have on Personal Workshop

plus it can turn any 0 cost non-event into a slightly delayed Easy Mark.

And Aesop doesn't even require a click to do all this.

Yes, this too. I forgot about Aesop's, it's crazy good and keeps getting better as more valuable zero-cost cards come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my Shaper deck, my best econ card is Aesop. I earn something like 20-30 credits with it.

I support it with 3x Daily Cast, 3x Modded, 2x Personal Workshop... and only 1x Magnum Opus for the late game.

Inside Man is also very good : install extra copies of Replicator for 0, sell them to Aesop for 3, then sell Inside Man for 3 too when your RDI are installed.

Dirty Laundry could be good too in an aggro deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're installing a lot of programs, Ice Analyzer and Sahasrara are fantastic. I have an Exile deck that does a lot of swapping of the rig based on board state, and this lets me install almost everything for free, once I've got a bit of the setup going. As others have mentioned, if you then combine this with Aesop's Pawnshop, you can sell off the Sahasraras and Ice Analyzers once you're finished to turn them into pure profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.