Subject: Arrrr Matey! Is Pirates for You? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently picked up a Collectors Tin and three Booster Packs because this game looked interesting. I am the type of person that looks for different types of games, and since I have never owned a pirate type game, I was curious to give the game a try.

In general, I am not a big fan of CCG games because they are designed to keep you buying pack after pack of cards in order to have a fair chance of winning a game if you are into playing others at a local hobby store and the like. But I did not pick Pirates up with that idea in mind. I purchased the game with the idea that I could take the game out and share my cards with family and friends just as I would share a board game with them. I did not buy Pirates with any intention of getting caught up in a buying frenzy like many do who enjoy CCG games.

I have ranked different aspects of the game below.

Playability Rank: 8. It’s a fun game. I played it twice so far. The first time was with the basic rules and last night I played it with some of the advanced rules. I have not tried using the crew, special abilities, or obstacles yet. But judging from how the game went last night, I think that using crew and the other elements I have mentioned would make the game harder and even more fun. Some gamers who are into heavier games may think the game is simplistic, but I enjoyed playing it. And who says you can’t make up your own table rules to beef up the game to suit your style?

Sturdiness of Pieces Rank: 9. Nice thick coated card stock that should stand up well. However, I suggest that you take it easy with inserting and removing the sails. I have not had any problems, but I have read other posts that state that sails bent while inserting them, so just keep that in mind. If you follow the advice that is given in the instruction booklets that come with each game pack, you shouldn't have a problem with the sails.

Readability Rank: 3. Each ship has its name printed on its hull so you can keep track of your ships and reference the Deckplate (the card that tells you the ships special abilities, cannon ranges etc.) during the game. However, the names are WAY too small to read across the table. You have to physically pick the ship up to read its name. That can get annoying and slows the game down. Wizkids should consider printing the names of each ship in big bold letters across the entire hull; that would resolve the problem. However, it is a small inconvenience and should not deter you from trying an otherwise fun game.

This is an enjoyable game that I will continue to play. If you are curious about it, go pick up a couple of packs and give it a try.

One more thing I should mention. If you read the back of the wrapper on a pack of cards at the store, it says that a die is included. This may baffle you a bit because inevitable you will probably do what I did. That is, you will pick up a pack and start feeling and proding the pack trying to figure out how a die can fit in there. Before you come to the conclusion that Wizkids forgot to put a die in the pack, understand that the die is smaller than a Tic-Tac. So, its in there, it's just a really small six-sided die. Actually, I found its small size to be a good thing if you play on a hard surface, because you don't have to worry about the die jumping off the table or knocking over any ships in play.

If you want to know more about the rules of the game, you can watch the various "animations" at http://www.wizkidsgames.com/pirates/howtoplay.asp. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After running a Pirates club at my school, I have a few comments on the game.

1. Younger children will break off sails if they are not careful enough...and many are in a rush to put them in. I show them how to coax them in by grasping the sail near the base, and not the top.

2. Pirates is a very finicky game for movement and turning. Thank goodness the come about rule was changed, as it is clunky.
Using the card to measure distance is finicky. We used sticks with the distances measured off.

3. Many of my kids complained that it was hard to get to discuss the game on the online forum. I don't know as I have never tried.

4. My kids thought that you should be able to fire and move, regardless of whether you have a captain or not. My sentiments exactly.

Despite these shortcomings, the club went well.
It'd be nice if members of Wizkidsgames, or the designers themselves would come here to the Geek and discuss stuff regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If Wizkids would come on this site, I think it would be a good PR move on their part.

I also agree that using the cards to measure distances can be "finicky". I have seen the various images that people have uploaded to this site that show players using a piece of paper or wooden dowel to measure the distances, which is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Wizkids has their own forums, so I doubt that they'd hang out here. http://forum.wizkidsgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
Also, I've found that a lot of the members in the Wizkids forum post at PSMRealms. I know personally, actively posting to too many forums gets confusing.

The thing I like about this forum is the file downloads!
Especially, the complete checklists...

As for the subject of this thread, Pirates is a great game!!!
It's easy enough for me to play with my kids, but not so easy that I loose interest. My 10 yr.old son couldn't wait for the jade rebellion to come out. Though, the 3 masted ships seem really fragile especially the sterndeck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt,

Yeah I heard about the downloads on the site, I'll have to check them out. I'm new to this site so I'm still exploring it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpatine wrote:
After running a Pirates club at my school, I have a few comments on the game.

1. Younger children will break off sails if they are not careful enough...and many are in a rush to put them in. I show them how to coax them in by grasping the sail near the base, and not the top.

Yeah. We use small strips of masking tape stuck on a mast to idicate its loss.

Quote:

2. Pirates is a very finicky game for movement and turning. Thank goodness the come about rule was changed, as it is clunky.
Using the card to measure distance is finicky. We used sticks with the distances measured off.

4. My kids thought that you should be able to fire and move, regardless of whether you have a captain or not. My sentiments exactly.

I've developed a rule variant that uses simultaneous, pre-plotted movement and allows moving and firing during the same turn (among other changes).

If you're interested, check it out here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/827081#827081

Please let me know if you try it, and how you like it.

Regards,
-Drew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find this game is best played on "Heroscape" water hex terrain, eliminating the fiddly "measure with the card sides" mechanic altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.