Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Belgae start the game with 10 units on the board. They also have 10 units in the game (total). The timeline states there's a reinforcement of 2 units in Round I: leader Boudicca and 1 unit.

I thought that the reinforcement at the very beginning of the Round and not on the Nation's turn. If so, there's 1 unit missing. Is this incorrect?

Also, rule regarding leaders on page 13 state that leaders that do not have a starting area listed on the Timeline are placed on the board at the end of the nation's Increase Population Phase. I would assume the army listed on the Timeline, with Bouddica, is placed at that time, after the population increase has been completed. Is this correct? Wouldn't there be a situation where you would be unable to add the army because all the army are already on the board because of the Population increase (may seem like a silly question).

The Belgae nation card states that the army and leader are received at the beginning of the nation turn, without specification to the Increase population phase.

I'm confused!

This looks like a great game, but reading some of the rules left me wondering (raiding vs invading + sea movement). I guess it will become all clear when I actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
I can't answer your question. But I will say this. When games have been republished (sometimes more than once) its very important to say which version you're asking about. Especially if they are all lumped under the same game entry on BGG.

For example, I started reading your quesion and said to myself, Belgae reinforcements?!? and a leader?!?, there's no such thing in my Avalon Hill version. Then it dawned on me you might be asking about the Fantasy Flight verion that just came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Per the Fantasy Flight rules, reinforcements (or what is called "Population Increase") is the first phase of each nation's turn. It does not occur for all nations at once at the start of each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Sergerie
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, it didn't occur to me that there was such a difference in rules between versions. I was referring to the newly published Fantasy Flight version.

If the 1 infantry and leader are added before all the nation's turn (including the Roman), then there are insufficient game pieces in the game to place the infantry on the board. After re-reading the rules, I think it's only the Invading armies that are placed on the board before all the nations turn.

If the 1 infantry and leader are placed on the board during the Belgae's turn (which is after the Roman), then I would concur with so of the comments: with the Romans combat capability, I'm sure a lot of Belgae replacements will be generated

I'm just wondering what is the timing of those replacements. On the Roman Nation card, there a 6 VP bonus for killing Bouddicca in Rounds I or II. If the Belgae play after the Roman, that means that the Belgae have to be silly enough to attack the Romans, with Boudicca, and loose the battle (repeat history?).

For Boudicca to be killed in round II, it must be done during the Romans turn, because leaders are removed during the Population increase phase (phase 1) one turn after being placed on the board. Whew!

There are plenty of little details in the rules; strategy-wise, there's a lot to consider, given the fact that each player control 4-5 nations with different objectives/habilities. Looks like a real fun game. Can't wait to find 3 other "victims" to test this puppy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 15 under 'Belgae submission to Roman Rule' it says that Boudicca and the army appear on the Belgae turn of Round 1. Leaders always appear on the nations' turns, and these extra armies like the Romano-British cavalry and the Belgae army appear at that time. Armies in the seas appear at the beginning of the Round.

Yes, that could mean you need more than 10 Belgae. In that case you would save 5 points on the Population Track.

That wouldn't be likely, though - the Romans should have mauled the Belgae on Round 1. When the Belgae take their turn they usually have fewer surviving armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lahut
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Also, leaders vanish at the beginning of the player's *next* turn, so Boudica could either die in a suicide crusade on Belgae turn 1, or on Roman turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garzahd wrote:
Also, leaders vanish at the beginning of the player's *next* turn, so Boudica could either die in a suicide crusade on Belgae turn 1, or on Roman turn 2.

It would proably make sense for Boudica to not die at the hands of the Romans as they get points for her head. It's a perfectly valid tactic to come on with Boudica but move into a defensive position... so as to not allow the Romans the chance at her demise. Though, the game sistuation may not allow that.

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of people would see the points the Romans get for Boudicca as a trade off for the points the Belgae get for the Romans she kills. They only get those points on the turn Boudicca attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By that I mean the Belgae only get the increased points on the turn Boudicca attacks - yes, the Romans score for Bou-bou on either Round I or II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, it's a trade off. But it may make sense to not attack with her as the Belgae are sure to be down to 1 or 2 armies.... though, again, game situations should dictate moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Belgae should have submitted ASAP, so they should have 4 armies (more if they were able to retreat in some combats)+1 reinforcement. The main source of Belgae points is killing Romans in their round 1. Not attcking with Boudicca is pretty pointless, precisely because the Romans aim to kill her. The Romans have enough troops to do that wherever she hides, so you're just losing opportunities for you to score points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Braund
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and if the Belgae submit at 4 areas, they are guaranteed a sixth army through Population Increase. Generally Belgae players I've seen like to submit without even token resistance. Personally I'd like to keep an aura of mystery about my intentions. Don't let your suitors take you for granted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.