Brian T
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this type of question.

I used to play the Milton Bradley version of Axis and Allies when I was in college, but it's been 10 years or more since the last time I played.

I wanted to get a version of the game that was as close to the classic version as possible, but with so many variations out now, I wasn't sure what to get, so I picked up Axis and Allies 1941. I was pretty disappointed once I opened the box.

The red and white plastic tokens and industrial production credits aren't part of 1941, and while I haven't opened up all of the units, there appear to be fewer pieces all together than what I remembered. Also, after browsing through the rule book, it seems that 1941's rules are quite different and seem somewhat simplified.

At this point, I'd like to know if it's possible to add to what I have with the 1941 version of the game to get something that more closely resembles what I used to play in college.

I found a pdf of the Milton Bradley version rule book. I've also found some scans of the IPCs which I can print out and use. I also assume I will need additional units for each country, but I've found a few resources online where I think I can buy those.

My biggest question is whether or not the 1941 board is the same (or close enough) to the classic board to be able to play the classic rules. Since it's been so long since I last played, it's hard for me to tell if it's divided up the same way.

I would greatly appreciate the help. If it's possible to use the board and pieces I already have to play the classic game by adding to it, what all exactly will I need in terms of additional units?

If it's not possible and a lost cause, then I'll probably just trash it and seek out a complete version of the original on ebay. Of all the current versions of the game, do any of them closely resemble the original?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably shoulda asked before you'd bought one

The first edition of 1942 is probably the most like the original that is still orderable (I think.) You can play revised on the map too, which is probably even closer to the original.

Might get more attention if you ask an admin to move this to the 1942 forum too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

In my opinion, making up your own rules for A&A variants is half the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian! Welcome to BGG!

To answer your questions; Yes, 1941 can be modified to play a Classic rule set.

Probably the simplest way to pull this off would be to use the 1941 setup/IPC costs in conjunction with the Classic movement & battle rules.

Otherwise you can always find a copy of Classic on e-bay...

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Welcome Brian!

There are currently three versions of A&A in print right now: 1941, 1942 2e, and 1940 Europe/Pacific 2e.

1941 is an introductory version, uses the current rules but they drastically reduced the IPCS, Unit density and territories to bring the playing time to under 2 hours. Strategic bombing, AA guns and amphibious assaults were removed from the rules in this version to keep it simple for the newbies.

1942(2e) is the best fit for what you are looking for. It's at the same level as classic but new and improved. As a long time A&A player I can attest that this is much better than the original classic A&A.

1940 comes as Europe and Pacific (2 games) which are more complex and lots more territories and units. They can be combined to create a monster global game which takes a weekend to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTown wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and this is my first post. I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this type of question.

I used to play the Milton Bradley version of Axis and Allies when I was in college, but it's been 10 years or more since the last time I played.

I wanted to get a version of the game that was as close to the classic version as possible, but with so many variations out now, I wasn't sure what to get, so I picked up Axis and Allies 1941. I was pretty disappointed once I opened the box.

The red and white plastic tokens and industrial production credits aren't part of 1941, and while I haven't opened up all of the units, there appear to be fewer pieces all together than what I remembered. Also, after browsing through the rule book, it seems that 1941's rules are quite different and seem somewhat simplified.

At this point, I'd like to know if it's possible to add to what I have with the 1941 version of the game to get something that more closely resembles what I used to play in college.

I found a pdf of the Milton Bradley version rule book. I've also found some scans of the IPCs which I can print out and use. I also assume I will need additional units for each country, but I've found a few resources online where I think I can buy those.

My biggest question is whether or not the 1941 board is the same (or close enough) to the classic board to be able to play the classic rules. Since it's been so long since I last played, it's hard for me to tell if it's divided up the same way.

I would greatly appreciate the help. If it's possible to use the board and pieces I already have to play the classic game by adding to it, what all exactly will I need in terms of additional units?

If it's not possible and a lost cause, then I'll probably just trash it and seek out a complete version of the original on ebay. Of all the current versions of the game, do any of them closely resemble the original?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.
. hi welcome, you can post specific game related post in the game thread instead of general thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Axis & Allies 1941 Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTM07 wrote:
1941 is an introductory version, uses the current rules but they drastically reduced the IPCS, Unit density and territories to bring the playing time to under 2 hours. Strategic bombing, AA guns and amphibious assaults were removed from the rules in this version to keep it simple for the newbies.

Minor correction. 1941 does indeed include amphibious assaults.

It would be rather difficult to capture Tokyo otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.