Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Do Different Printings Exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard a few mentions (really only in passing) of newer English printings of Mage Wars in which the text has changed for some cards. Is this truly the case? (I'm not talking about the recent errata for three cards).

There seems to be no information about this anywhere that I can find. If so, does anybody have a list of cards which have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheels2050 wrote:
I have heard a few mentions (really only in passing) of newer English printings of Mage Wars in which the text has changed for some cards. Is this truly the case? (I'm not talking about the recent errata for three cards).

There seems to be no information about this anywhere that I can find. If so, does anybody have a list of cards which have changed?

Battle Fury
Hand of Bim Shalla
Temple of Light

The info is on the mage wars site and here in the rules forum somewhere. I've heard a lot of entitlement-based whinging about getting new versions of these cards but I haven't seen anything definite from the Arcane Wonders boys about printing errata'd versions. Might have missed it though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know the core spell tome 1+2 cards differ in some cases from the ones in the core set. The FAQ that was published before the release of Forcemaster vs. Warlord had been implemented in the print run for those. Unfortunately some of these cards have been changed/tweaked again in the most recent FAQ (March 2013) which has not been implemented in any print run as far as I know.

There is no list keeping track of the various small changes over the various expansions, its just something I realized when I bought core set and the core set tomes together in this spring and checked the FAQ of that time.

Example Malacoda (creature):
Core set: every living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct damage
Core set tome expansion: every other living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct damage
Latest FAQ: every living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct poison damage. Malacoda has poison immunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wheels
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
Wheels2050 wrote:

Battle Fury
Hand of Bim Shalla
Temple of Light

The info is on the mage wars site and here in the rules forum somewhere. I've heard a lot of entitlement-based whinging about getting new versions of these cards but I haven't seen anything definite from the Arcane Wonders boys about printing errata'd versions. Might have missed it though

Read the last sentence of the first paragraph

Shelfwear wrote:
As far as I know the core spell tome 1+2 cards differ in some cases from the ones in the core set. The FAQ that was published before the release of Forcemaster vs. Warlord had been implemented in the print run for those. Unfortunately some of these cards have been changed/tweaked again in the most recent FAQ (March 2013) which has not been implemented in any print run as far as I know.

There is no list keeping track of the various small changes over the various expansions, its just something I realized when I bought core set and the core set tomes together in this spring and checked the FAQ of that time.

Example Malacoda (creature):
Core set: every living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct damage
Core set tome expansion: every other living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct damage
Latest FAQ: every living creature in Malacoda's zone suffers one point of direct poison damage. Malacoda has poison immunity.

Hmm, OK thanks for the info. Hopefully Arcane Wonders comes out with a list at some point - I'm sure it will cause some people some grief having different card text to their opponents unless there is an official document somewhere detailing the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a comprehensive document that lists all the changes. It still is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/td4af9xtcf4vs09/Mage%20Wars%20Offi...

However, it is no longer comprehensive. The recent three card errata haven't made it to the FAQ/Errata yet:

http://magewars.com/jsite/item/159-tournament-rules-and-erra...

It's all a bit of a mess. Looks like they're upgrading the site and want to have everything sorted out eventually, but right now the situation is not optimal IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars is currently in its 2nd printing in stores. A 3rd printing will be happening sometime in the near future with all associated errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Can I assume any changed cards (apart from the recent 3) have just been changed to *clarify* their intent? If so, that doesn't seem like a big deal. In fact, I would encourage such behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:
Can I assume any changed cards (apart from the recent 3) have just been changed to *clarify* their intent? If so, that doesn't seem like a big deal. In fact, I would encourage such behavior.

Certainly looks like that to me for the most part, yeah. Exception being that they added the poison damage type, which affected Idol of Pestilence and Malacoda - with the sole net effect (as far as I can tell) that Malacoda is immune to the Idol (well, and some other things, like Rot). There's also the Moonglow Amulet thing, which has gained the Mana subtype.

The more I think of it and edit this post, the more impacts I find

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Fwing wrote:
Wheels2050 wrote:

Battle Fury
Hand of Bim Shalla
Temple of Light

Here is a .pdf with the errata'd cards to print at your leisure.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12797.0

The print 'n play errata'd cards ARE tournament legal and the actual cards will be printed with these changes in a future set or expansion.

Thanks,

Patrick Connor
Communications Director, Arcane Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pconnor wrote:
The print 'n play errata'd cards ARE tournament legal and the actual cards will be printed with these changes in a future set or expansion.

Thanks,

Patrick Connor

Hey Patrick, would you know when these cards will be reprinted? I am willing to wait for that set before plunging into the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fargy wrote:
pconnor wrote:

Thanks,

Patrick Connor

Hey Patrick, would you know when these cards will be reprinted? I am willing to wait for that set before plunging into the game

Looks like it'll be late-ish 2014. I wouldn't wait if I were you, the game is too awesome for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lorence Syfargo
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="haslo"Looks like it'll be late-ish 2014. I wouldn't wait if I were you, the game is too awesome for that [/q]

Haha! If that's the case, i may never actually get to play this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following 10 cards were changed from 1st to 2nd printing:

Battle Fury
Force Push
Idol of Pestilence
Malacoda
Moonglow Amulet
Reverse Attack
Reverse Magic
Tanglevine
Wall of Fire
Wall of Thorns

Chain Lightning and Helm of Fear have errata but still have the old wording even in second printing.

Force Push has the correct second printing wording in the Forcemaster/Warlord expansion.

The second printings of the base game have the Vasel quote on the back, first did not.

---------------------------

Can anyone tell me if second printings of the core tomes were made and how to tell the difference if so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen Glenn wrote:

I agree that the original 12 cards that received errata were just clarifications and/or 'missed' wordings/subtypes.

The most recent 3 cards are of a different variety, being actual functional nerfs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vlarg wrote:
Can anyone tell me if second printings of the core tomes were made and how to tell the difference if so?

I'd guess not; I got the core tomes just recently and they all have the first printing wordings. Minor Heal also has less awesome art

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.