Popular Tags: [View All]
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
All,

For a while I have been wanting to start a regular boardgame group that will serve those parts of the San Francisco bay area that are currently underserved. Specifically I am looking to attract gamers from the region defined by (say) Walnut Creek/Concord/Martinez region to the east, Richmond/El Cerrito/Pinole to the south, Novato (say) to the west, and Fairfield (maybe even Vacaville) to the north. Of course everyone will be welcome.

I am currently thinking about Thursday nights, which seems to be a day of less activity for boardgames. This will probably begin as a bi-weekly affair, and depending on interest may grow to be weekly or (maybe) even a couple of days a week.

I plan to host the actual game night in Vallejo or Benicia. I am currently scouting out an appropriate location, and have a couple in mind. In the meantime, I thought I'd post in here and see if there was any interest from local BGGers. Also, if you would like to get involved in helping found this group, please let me know; I want to make an effort to make this a solid group with nice exposure, and plan to do a little bit of guerilla marketing to this purpose.

I am also thinking of the idea of having a "rotating group" that, for example, plays one week in Vallejo/Benicia and one week in, say, Antioch, another underserved area. This will require a co-founder from that area to arrange the hosting over there, but I will want to make this a true joint effort, creating a sense of community for people playing in the group regardless of its specific venue.

Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. I'm representin' for the hidden community of El Sobrante, tucked here between Richmond, El Cerrito and Pinole. I work in Berkeley. I've been to one game night so far at EndGame in Oakland which happens on Wednesdays. Games of Berkeley does board games on Tuesdays and Eudemonia, in Berkeley also, does board games on Thursdays. I haven't been to either of those yet though. I've wondered if there were any game groups around here. Would be cool to start up with one.

One good place to play games in public is the Albatross Pub in Berkeley. They are game-friendly and even lend out board games (traditional, not euro cry ). Just keep those pitchers flowing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Hey Gabe, good to see you.

Didn't know about the Thursday night gaming at the location you mention; still, knowing that Endgame's wednesday are pretty popular, and that Tuesday has two candidates (there's another group that meets in San Rafael), I think Thursdays work best. I also want to keep away from the classic east bay communities, since they are well served already; anything south of Vallejo will have little chance of attracting people from Fairfield, Napa, Vacaville and the like, which is one of my goals.

The other option is something like Concord. This would make it far easier to find a location, still has a chance to draw people from as north as fairfield, and possibly grab the eastern communities all the way out to, say, Oakly. Heck, maybe even Byron, who knows?

Right now I want to see whether I can gather some locals to be the core group. Would you be interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Endgame seems to draw a lot of people.
My group, The Gamers' Conclave, is holdin' the fort at SFSU, on the south side of San Francisco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested once in a while I guess. But I too was looking for something in my 'hood, like right here in El Sob. It's good to be close to home when things get late. It's 30 minutes door to door to Berkeley for me. Some might think that's close, but I'd prefer even closer. Any groups in El Sob, Pinole, Richmond, San Pablo or El Cerrito?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Gamehappy
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Weeellarrrh

You can't do any better than to join the 100 strong Contra Costa Wargamers club which meets just about anywhere as well as

Black Diamond Games in Concord

Join up at

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Axisandalliescontracosta...

Lawrence
Concord, California

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.