Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if there is any way I can avoid seeing forum posts about a particular game. I have noticed that whenever I go on to BGG a certain game dominates many of the recent posts. I am not interested in said game so would rather see recent posts about anything else but that game.

Can it be done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cannot remove a particular game from your front page.

What you can do is block it, if it's triggering subscriptions or edit your front page to remove the module in which it's showing up or change the module to show you recent rather than 'hot' or 'active' threads, which will likely reduce the number of listings you see on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mainly talking about the Game Forum tab, and both recent and active end up with the same phenomenon.

Perhaps people that want to discuss a certain game ad nauseam should create their own forum elsewhere - I think that happened with Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see what you mean sorting by 'recent' doesn't solve this problem but in the long run I think it will give you a faster turn over so I'd still go for this.

These things come in cycles, taking about games in their forums is explicitly what the site and these forums are all about - so I can't see the site encouraging anyone to go elsewhere.

I'm afraid, though, in the meantime there isn't an easy solution for users who don't want to see threads about a particular game, my expectations are that the site will work on providing greater customisation of the site in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

This would be a really useful feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like you're talking about blocking a user-- you're allowed to say the game!

Not that it'd probably help, but maybe someone could convince you that it was a sort of selective noticing. Like, I bought an Elantra, and all of a sudden the only cars I see are other Elantras. Or sometimes an author uses a word I don't know, and then after looking it up, it's a little jarring everytime they use it again.

I just know I do most of my forum reading from whatever active posts are in various modules, and I don't find myself too hindered by the module being flooded with any single title.

I mean . . . Netrunner? X-wing? I see those a lot. But is having one or two posts removed every now and then actually 'really useful?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more than one or two posts Derry. Every time I log on Strategy games, the Game Forum is clogged with Android Netrunner posts - like 7 or 8 of the 10 or so recent or active posts are about this game.

I subscribe to a few games, so I see all posts on a limited number of games, but usually look at Game Forums as well to see if there are any posts about games that I am also interested in.

I thought this might be a passing new hotness thing, but it seems to have been going on for most of this year. I'm getting a bit sick of it and can't be the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I don't have any of the category modules up, so I can see how that would seem much more clogged!

I also might get bored and click on netrunner posts even though I have no idea how to play . . . blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
A runner has just made a successful run on your HQ and has hacked in more advertising. That is what the problem is. You need to set up some more ice or see if you can tag the hacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add this to the list of features for my add-in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wishing this feature was available for years, and it's been asked for in the past. The answer is always "it's not possible". The suffering of geeks continues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can take a pretty good guess why.

The front page is no doubt cached for all users. To tailor it for each individual user as the page is requested would no doubt put a huge load on the servers. So do you want "fast" response or a tailored page? If the page took 45 seconds to load, folks would scream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.