Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Rules

Subject: When cards are exiled, do counters and enchantments 'fall off'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Example: My opponent controls a vanilla creature with an aura and +1/+1 counters on it. I play banisher priest.

The banisher priest is soon killed. When his card returns to play, does it have counters and/or an enchantment attached?

Explanations/references to comprehensive rules much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have no counters and no enchantments anymore.

I hope others can provide you with links to the exact rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
I think these are the relevant rules

Quote:
110.1. A permanent is a card or token on the battlefield. A permanent remains on the battlefield
indefinitely. A card or token becomes a permanent as it enters the battlefield and it stops being a
permanent as it’s moved to another zone by an effect or rule.

121.2. Counters on an object are not retained if that object moves from one zone to another. The
counters are not “removed”; they simply cease to exist. See rule 400.7.

400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or
relation to, its previous existence. There are seven exceptions to this rule: [cut irrelevant exceptions]

303.4c If an Aura is enchanting an illegal object or player as defined by its enchant ability and other
applicable effects, the object it was attached to no longer exists, or the player it was attached to
has left the game, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard. (This is a state-based action. See
rule 704.)

In short, the exiled permanent becomes a non-permanent card that is a new object, causing all statuses, counters, equipment, enchantments, etc to detach. Enchantments will go to the graveyard.

When the permanent return, it enters the battlefield as an entirely new instance of that permanent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that if you destroy/exile/bounce/etc the Banisher Priest in response to its trigger, the target will never go to exile and will retain auras and counters. This is a new ability wording in M14 and also applies to Colossal Whale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
In short, the exiled permanent becomes a non-permanent card that is a new object, causing all statuses, counters, equipment, enchantments, etc to detach. Enchantments will go to the graveyard.

When the permanent return, it enters the battlefield as an entirely new instance of that permanent.

Broadly speaking, whenever a card changes zones it loses all memory of anything that happened to it and is treated by the game as a new object. Counters go away, enchantments and equipment fall off, damage is cleared, all effects that had applied to the original card are gone, effects on the stack that were targeting it lose track of it, it's no longer in combat, and summoning sickness applies. That's the value of spells like Momentary Blink. (There is at least one card that spells out an explicit exception, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
(There is at least one card that spells out an explicit exception, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave.)

And don't even get me started on Phasing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Get started! Do it!

(Phasing is no longer a zone change. So it isn't an exception to what happens upon zone change like Skullbriar is. It's just a rules cluster****.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say Phasing was a zone change...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I like Phasing in Mirage's block
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked phasing to save a creature. Otherwise, it was terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you very much. You guys are rather awesome. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.