Matias Vierimaa
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After being rather irritated of encounters, boring monsters etc. I made three changes for the game that have greatly increased my enjoyment of CR.

1) Increase monster variety (makes game harder)
Mix monsters from dungeon command. I have now Sting of Lolth and Curse of Undead mixed to standad CR monster deck.

2) Use crypt encounter v2 (makes game harder?)
I really love the rule of exploration and encounters in this variant. I made some additional changes though:
- Removed cursed well (I disliked this card too much)
- Used monster card descriptions from dungeon command instead of crypt v2 when available (gravehound, zombie hulk = umber hulk, tomb guardian)
- The current v2 of crypt deck pdf lacked some monster tokens/cards so I didn't include curse of the mummy,demonic possession and calling of the hag. I will most likely include them later as I print the monster cards/tokens.
- I am also considering not to use some special abilities that monsters have. They seem far too powerful. Didn't change this yet though

3) Throw dice for monster activation (makes game easier)
Whenever monster is placed because of exploration or crypt deck (excluding encounter deck and special adventure tile monsters drawn) roll dice to see if monster is activated in is first turn:
If 1d20 + (speed/2 rounded down) >= Monster AC, monster is placed but does not activate in first turn

In overall, I like these changes much more than the base game. I have played it twice and maybe I will adapt the activation rule to 1d20 > Monster AC as it seems that game may be too easy. But I was also very lucky with activation roll during the test games so I have to test more.

I don't think that above changes make game much more complex and for me the enjoyment of CR has increased a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm just gonna be a tiny bit presumptuous here and presume you're referring to Dungeon Master's Guide - CRYPT Deck v2 (complete).

If so, thanks for the feedback. I have all the Dungeon Command sets as well and have been pondering how to integrate them into these games. Good idea with the substitutions.

By the way, what did you not like about Cursed Well? I intended for it to force the players into making painful choices. What if 1 token was removed whenever a hero was hit, hence not requiring said painful choice?

Also, please do provide feedback on the monsters that you have found problematic. With such a huge variety, I've not encountered all the custom monsters frequently enough to really see how they affect game balance in all situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Vierimaa
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Yes, I was referring to the crypt deck v2 you linked.

I haven't played enough yet, so it might be that monsters' special abilities nicely counter my activation rule that makes game easier.

But on quick look, following ones seem most powerful:
- zombie hulk (replaced with SoL umber hulk card)
- tomb guardian (replaced this too with CoU card)
- boneclaw
- dread warrior
- battle wight
- flameskull
- skull lord
- warfonged minion

Cursed well felt to me too much like auto-damage (3 ). Having -AC that affects all heroes felt already very hard. I just didn't find it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.