Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an entry for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest but I had to withdraw it due to time constraints. Now that I have time to work on it again, it is an entry for the 2014 Solitaire Print and Play Contest. This is my first attempt at a solitaire game, hopefully you'll like what you see and I'll appreciate any questions, comments, advice, or ideas you may have.

A solitaire game where you play as Captain Oscar Locke, a stranded pirate, whose luck just turned around. Another crew of pirates has landed on the island where you were stranded by your mutinous ex-crew. This new crew of pirates are here to bury their treasure; leaving their boat unmanned just off the coast. You could try to man the ship yourself but with no gold to spend, what's the point? Capture the treasure before it's buried and make it to the ship to sail the high seas with your newly claimed booty.

Components
50 Tiles
40 Tokens
26 Cards
6 Dice - 3 black, 3 white
1 Tracking Sheet
1 Captain Oscar Locke pawn

Gameplay Time
20 - 45 Minutes

Files
When viewing in Google Drive, the colors get distorted so these files are in gray scale. If you'd like the components and tracking sheet in color, send me a geekmail.
Rules - Updated 7/18/2014
Components - Updated 7/10/2014
Tracking Sheet - Updated 6/25/2014

Categories to be entered into:
Best Thematic Game
Best Written Rules
Best Medium Sized Game
Best Greyscale Printed Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP - Idea Phase] Stranded No More (2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest)
Reserved for future use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edits:
Too many to list at this point after an overhaul of the components and rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of the cards deck giving you random encounters. I would worry that with 49 tiles and only 50 turns you could sometimes end up just being very unlucky in not finding the treasure, perhaps having a card that let you peek at one or two tiles would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
That sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of the cards deck giving you random encounters. I would worry that with 49 tiles and only 50 turns you could sometimes end up just being very unlucky in not finding the treasure, perhaps having a card that let you peek at one or two tiles would help?

Thanks for the feedback. Since I don't have a prototype yet I haven't had an oppurtunity to see if the 50 turns would work or not. I felt like that would be one of the first things that would need to be tinkered with. I want there to be some sense of urgency and anxiety so it isn't guaranteed that you find the treasure as that is one of the losing conditions.

I like the idea of being able to take a peak at a tile once or twice a game. Perhaps I could make a Spyglass token to start the game with. Oh I really like that...or maybe instead of healing a player could use the spyglass but only when they don't have a full health bar or if their health drops below a certain amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the theme! Good luck in the contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Stranded No More - A solitaire game
I am now working on this game again after a 7 month hiatus. This post is just to bring it back up for people to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made quite a few edits to the components as I started putting a prototype together. For now at least, tiles have been replaced with cards. I have a rough prototype made so I'm hoping I can try this out in the upcoming weeks.

Also, I tidied up the rules in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Board Game Design: WIP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Stranded No More [2014 Solitaire PnP][Components Ready]
This has now been entered into the 2014 Solitaire Print and Play Contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to see your game back in the contest this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Saranac
Serbia
Kragujevac
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules, it seems that the game has too many luck elements and too little strategic decisions the player can make.
Maybe you should think about giving player more options.

This is just a thought thou, maybe I will not feel like this once I actually TRY to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saranac wrote:
After reading the rules, it seems that the game has too many luck elements and too little strategic decisions the player can make.
Maybe you should think about giving player more options.

This is just a thought thou, maybe I will not feel like this once I actually TRY to play it

It is heavily luck based but after playing a couple times, there are some strategies and decisions that can give the player some control. Please try it out and let me know how it went. This is my first attempt at a solitaire game so the rules will definitely need some work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a working prototype of the game files as seen in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to try this one out. Any chance of getting the colour files?

I googled around a bit and the poor colour behaviour seems limited to the on-line viewer only, if you download the actual file it's all correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
I'd really like to try this one out. Any chance of getting the colour files?

I googled around a bit and the poor colour behaviour seems limited to the on-line viewer only, if you download the actual file it's all correct.

I would be happy to send you the colored files. As I said in the contest thread, I left way too much space between the pieces, especially the tiles, so I'll need to fix that. But if you don't mind making some extra cuts, I can send it in a few hours when I have access to a computer.

Edit: the components file has been updated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome

I have a decent paper cutter so few extra cuts isn't the end of the world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AKRepublic wrote:

Got a play of this in tonight. Printed in greyscale, come out quite well. Here are my initial thoughts:

i found the rules quite well done. I would put clarification of lethal attack. I assume it kills enemy instantly? Also if you roll double/triple, do you still roll for enemy to see if they get double/triple or does your double/triple resolve that part?

1) It does kill the enemy instantly, I will clarify that in the rules.
2) The rules state that all dice are rolled together. I realized yesterday when I was playing that there needs to be rules for when both sets of dice roll doubles. I think I'll have the higher set determine the "winner" of that roll.

AKRepublic wrote:

found the fights too random. Just a case of rolling dice to see who wins. Would like to see more ability to try and control the fight, maybe more variety of weapons, with different abilities? Maybe if you encounter an enemy, have an option to flee but the card stays on that tile, so you know you have to encounter it if you land on that tile again? Just some thoughts.

1) I like the idea of more weapons. But I'm not sure where they'd come into play. I don't want the player to start off with a full inventory.
2) I really like the idea of being able to flee. It should come with some sort of penalty like losing 1 time. Adding some counters to put on the tiles would be easy enough. Then the card could be placed off to the side with the matching numbered counter on it to keep track of what enemy is where.

AKRepublic wrote:

tile exploration quite random too. I got to 3 from 50 before I found the treasure. It was a case of picking tiles at random and trying to find it. Maybe options to explore more tiles without spending more time, I think I would prefer more strategic options. But that is my preference.

1) I totally agree with you on this. I actually ran out of time because I kept drawing cards that reduced extra time like the torrential rain. I think I am going to change the ruling on the spyglass to allow for the player to peek at any tile, WITHOUT losing extra time, once per turn.

AKRepublic wrote:

I lost by the way, got to the tile next to the ship and got a pirate, he rolled better than I did, especially when he broke my sword

Had you already used the gun you started with and the one the captain had? I like to keep two swords in my inventory because of that very reason.

AKRepublic wrote:

Overall, a nice light game. I like the encounter cards, they are well done and is very good theme wise.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put together and play my game. You gave me a lot of great feedback that I'll use to tweak some rules and expand on others.

Edit: Made some tweaks to the rules and added the 3 flee counters. The files in the OP are updated to include those changes. I'll see how these all work out tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:

2) The rules state that all dice are rolled together. I realized yesterday when I was playing that there needs to be rules for when both sets of dice roll doubles. I think I'll have the higher set determine the "winner" of that roll.

It's not just when both roll doubles, what about if the loser rolled one? I.e. I roll 4,5,6 and the pirate rolls 1,1,2. I win, but does he break my sword?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
disom wrote:

It's not just when both roll doubles, what about if the loser rolled one? I.e. I roll 4,5,6 and the pirate rolls 1,1,2. I win, but does he break my sword?

In thay situation, yes he would. Special ability rolls overide regular dice totals. I'll clarify that further in the rules. I do however, need to adjust the rules again because when I played last night, a pirate kept rolling doubles but I had no sword so I wasn't sure if I should reroll or add the dice up.

Here is my experience from last night, I was down to 3 health with only a sword and spyglass in my inventory when I faced the captain after drawing torrential rain first which did nothing and then a pirate who I need to kill to get the sword. Doesn't the first roll break my sword? So I'm like "okay game over" only to roll four straight doubles, killing the captain. I automatically won at that point because I had uncovered all the spaces to the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh I had completely the wrong idea .

I was thinking more like
1) Dice rolled
2) Largest total wins
3) Winner causes damage or, if they rolled a double, special effect

Now I understand the problem if both people roll doubles. You could just say it was a draw i.e. no effects occur.

As for double effects that can't be enacted (e.g. break sword when there isn't one) you could just say 2 damage instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
Ahh I had completely the wrong idea .

I was thinking more like
1) Dice rolled
2) Largest total wins
3) Winner causes damage or, if they rolled a double, special effect

Now I understand the problem if both people roll doubles. You could just say it was a draw i.e. no effects occur.

As for double effects that can't be enacted (e.g. break sword when there isn't one) you could just say 2 damage instead

The current rules say:

If a special ability has been activated, it overrides dice totals.
- If both sets of dice activate a special ability, the higher numbered set prevails.
- If the sets tie, no abilities activate nor does damage occur.

I think I'm going to add that if the special ability cannot be activated, add the dice totals as if there wasn't a set of doubles or triples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I've played 3 times now here's my impressions in no particular order

* I like it,
* theme is nice
* I like the doubles trumps value combat, although what to do if the special ability can't be applied needs thinking about.
* Combat is pretty easy (until you get the Captain) if you have a sword
* Encounter cards seem well balanced between pirates, animals and weather. (It hasn't happened to me yet but insta-death crocodile could be a bit off putting)
* As AKRepublic said it would be nice if there was some strategy to the search aspect. More on that below.
* It would be nice if the time track was switchback style
* The Bee swarm card is written in third person "flee to the tile he came from" the others are first person
* How does the spider card ability get invoked? "3 rolled ability"?

One idea I had (just spit-balling) is to have backs on the tiles with 10 possible tiles where the treasure could be, that would allow some "shortest path" type strategising. Obviously it would be much easier to find it so you would need to drop the time allowed. This may actually be an advantage because right now unless you have had to uncover most of the board time doesn't really feel important. By reducing overall time the margin between a quick find and slow one is smaller

The downside would be that the game would be harder/more expensive to craft. On the plus side again the backs could make it look like a real island jungle, watering holes, clearing etc

PS I died twice and won once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:

What to do if the special ability can't be applied needs thinking about.

Agreed, I touched on that in my last post but have yet to adjust the rules file.

lukerazor wrote:

* Encounter cards seem well balanced between pirates, animals and weather. (It hasn't happened to me yet but insta-death crocodile could be a bit off putting)

Again I agree, every time I encounter the crocodile I fear I'll roll triples and lose. It's one thing if the captain does it but I think I'll change the crocodile's ability to something like 3 damage dealt.

lukerazor wrote:

* It would be nice if the time track was switchback style.

I like this idea, a very easy fix.

lukerazor wrote:

* The Bee swarm card is written in third person "flee to the tile he came from" the others are first person

Good catch! Another easy fix.

lukerazor wrote:

* How does the spider card ability get invoked? "3 rolled ability"?

I poorly worded that. It's supposed to mean if a 3 is rolled.

lukerazor wrote:

One idea I had (just spit-balling) is to have backs on the tiles with 10 possible tiles where the treasure could be, that would allow some "shortest path" type strategising. Obviously it would be much easier to find it so you would need to drop the time allowed. This may actually be an advantage because right now unless you have had to uncover most of the board time doesn't really feel important. By reducing overall time the margin between a quick find and slow one is smaller

The downside would be that the game would be harder/more expensive to craft. On the plus side again the backs could make it look like a real island jungle, watering holes, clearing etc

This is a very interesting idea, one that might work. The game definitely needs more strategy. Almost every game I've played, I find the treasure in the last 5 tiles just before I run out of time. As far as the production being harder/more expensive, I wanted to do tile backs similar to the way you described so anyway so adding a symbol or something to denote the possible treasure location wouldn't be a big deal.

Regarding the time, my fear originally was that if there are 49 tiles to uncover and only 50 time, it'd be possible to run out of time easily because some of the encounters cause time loss. I have changed the rules where you can use the spyglass once per turn without the time penalty if you don't heal. I'll need to play a few more times to see how this affects the game.

lukerazor wrote:

PS I died twice and won once.

I've played it a couple dozen times, losing slightly more than winning. Which I think is good because I don't want it to be too easy. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I want to thank you for taking the time and resources to try my game. I really appreciate the feedback and hope to hear more as the game evolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated all three files in the OP.

Changes:

Fixed wording on Spider cards
Changed abilities on Crocodile cards
Added triples ability to Pirate cards
Changed time tracking to switchback style
 Thumb up
 tip