Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorite games are co-ops; Flash Point, Hanabi, Ghost Stories, Shadows over Camelot... I like working together to defeat a game system.

But, I'm not in any way a fan of the whole Cthulu thing. I just never got into it. I played Arkham Horror once, years ago, and it bored me silly. I don't mind Elder Sign because it's pretty quick and I love dice games. So I'm willing to give Eldritch Horror a look if it seems like it might be a great co-op at its core. However, I'm kind of worried that FFG is treading water now. If you include Mansions of Madness, this will be the fourth Lovecraft-based co-op game they've put out.

So, are they milking the Cthulu fans or do they have a winning formula with this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is.......both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there is a good chance you will like this game still. Now of course this is all hypothetical since obviously I have never played this game, but it seems to be less fiddly and maybe more cooperative. I love AH to death but sometimes it feels like a bunch of people kinda going around doing their own thing. This game SEEMS like you have to work together a little more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG milking??! Never!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, the game has just been announced. That's it. No one is going to be able to answer your question. After Gen Con when people have played the demo, we'll know a little more.

Just...a little.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate Arkham Horror and most COOPs, but I love Cthulhu - will I like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of SMERSH is probably a better option for you. There is a kickstarter for the new expansion going in right now as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Agents of SMERSH is probably a better option for you. There is a kickstarter for the new expansion going in right now as well.

plus, you can get the base game with free shipping from Cool Stuff Inc. It's linked from the expansion KS page. I did just that.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Basically no one knows what the game will be like so we cannot possibly answer the question really. All we have to go on is a vague video and shots of some components. There's nothing really tangible on the gameplay yet.

Although I can tell you its virtually the same theme wise as Arkham so if you don't get the Cthulhu Mythos you are almost certainly looking in the wrong direction. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The winning formula is knowing when to quit and reboot. Expansions sell less units than the base game (but, I think, cost almost as much to produce), so it's only a matter of time before they're no longer cost-effective. That's what they did with Descent, am I guessing FFG thinks it's a good decision. (FFG had a 2nd DOOM expansion planned, but did not publish it because of sales.)

AH has long been criticized for its long setup time and play time, yet is still quite popular. EH looks to be "fixing" these issues, so rather than cynicism, EH should be seen as providing certain customers the game they've always wanted. Also, it will be available for longer than a 30-day window, so you can wait for the reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I think it is lame that they still won't throw in plastic investigators when they have the molds. FFG is so underwhelming nowadays.

If they threw the plastic figures in with every game that could use them (Mansions, Arkham, Eldritch), you'd end up with a bunch of worthless duplicates--and FFG would have to account for that worthless duplication, meaning you'd pay more at retail. Seems to me they got that one right: introduce a few plastic figs in the game where miniatures make the most sense aesthetically on the board (MOM), and then sell the whole line separately for people who want the Cadillac upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I'd love it if they would fix the criticisms of Arkham Horror. But it is likely that they are not.

Have you played the game, then?? If not, don't speculate. Let someone else buy the game and post the review. Ask them questions.

I'll agree that FFG means bits. Corey Konieczka means bits. But this is an Ameritrash game. There *are* Eurogamey coop games, as well as Eurogamey Cthulhu-themed games. But I don't know any adventure boardgames (go somewhere and draw a card) that don't have a fair share of bits. I guess you could argue that Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective has as much Ameritrashy adventure boardgamey storytelling as AH or EH, and doesn't have bits, but sure lacks the replay.

As for plastic, the miniatures are *grey*. With MoM, there are at most four grey investigator miniatures on the board, so it's easier to tell who is which. With EH and AH, there can be as many as eight, so it's not too difficult to mistake one grey miniature with a hat with another grey miniature with a slightly different hat. With an adventure boardgame, if you spent half a turn with the wrong token, you may have resolved a card and "rewinding" your turn would be an annoyance. With cardboard tokens, they don't have this problem.

EDIT: Whoops. Of course, the mini's don't have to be grey. With MoM, they're reusing investigator art from AH, so can include miniatures from the AH game. With EH, they're using new art (good) but that opens the possibility for needing new miniatures sculpts (costly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to the thread opener:

The answer to you question is yes. After you´ve taken a look at, you can decide. It´s upon you to decide now, or later as soon as the first reviews are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
At this point, the game has just been announced. That's it. No one is going to be able to answer your question. After Gen Con when people have played the demo, we'll know a little more.

Just...a little.

jorune
Hopefully FFG will lift the gag on beta testers so they can provide a little more info. I know some of those testers have played over a dozen games so they should have something useful to say... when they are allowed to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron McCommon
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
not a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos? GET THE FFFFFFF-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabsoul wrote:
not a fan of the Cthulhu Mythos? GET THE FFFFFFF-

goo fhtagn? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
EDIT: Whoops. Of course, the mini's don't have to be grey. With MoM, they're reusing investigator art from AH, so can include miniatures from the AH game. With EH, they're using new art (good) but that opens the possibility for needing new miniatures sculpts (costly).

Actually the investigators are the same as have appeared in AH and MoM, just different artwork, so you don't need new minis. FFGs thoughtfully included them in yet another gaming to make a few more minis sales!

I wonder if the Investigator choice for EH was based on low mini sales- that's why they are all from expansions- maybe FFGs is hoping to shift some dead stock. laugh shake goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narlgoth wrote:
[q="Sam and Max"]

I wonder if the Investigator choice for EH was based on low mini sales- that's why they are all from expansions- maybe FFGs is hoping to shift some dead stock. laugh shake goo

I think you just nailed it. The choice of characters is a bit weird and although having some african and asian in the bunch as one of the criteria for global flavour sake, the stock issue might be not too far behind. Or ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.