K-Fresh
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
FULL METAL JACKAL
mbmbmbmbmb
First, the basic request: I'm looking for a game, not too heavy, for two players, that can be played on an airplane trip of 2 hours or so (game length, of course, can be shorter!).

The "airplane" part is the part I'm having trouble with -- not only can it not have bits, but I'm a little dubious about card games as well, if they involve not only the deck and the discard pile but cards laid out in front of you as well -- I think it'll be too cluttered at that point.

Backstory: My wife and I are flying from Seattle to Orange County and back at the end of the month. My wife hate hate hates to fly (really, the promise of Disneyland is pretty much the only thing that will get her on a plane) and I honestly am not that fond of it myself.

I'm looking for something to occupy our minds while we're in the air, so it should be something we can sink our teeth into a little, but not something which requires deep concentration, which will be in short supply during the trip. High immediate-replay-value is also a plus.

Furthermore: I searched around this forum and found a few leads, like the Mystery Rummy series -- do those involve much spreading out of cards on the table?

I'm also looking at Travel Blokus, although I have visions of the pieces flying all over the plane.

The games we play most often tend to be party games (Apples to Apples), which don't scale down to 2 players well. The only two-player game we ever play much of at home is Gin Rummy (and an occasional round of Battleship), so I'm kind of at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

I thank you in advance,

--K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Madden
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is perfect for seatback trays and requires just the right amount of concentration. I think it would work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lost cities is the number one, game.. its just a pack of cards with an extra-suit you could make up your own pack

2 standard packs with same backing, use faces/picture cards as the "gamble" cards and add one extra suit form the 2nd pack and use a felt highlighter to make it as diffrent
or just buy the game and discard the board!

air plane try are very small and your prolly have people asking to get in and out and thouse awfull plastic meals!

other then that CCG games tend to have small play areasa couple of magic decks,

other great 2 player games i've recently aquired are Fjords, jambo, zertz and hellas but all are bitty that would side away and possibly lost, though could be contained in a small cloth bag or use pencil and paper to note down the bits instead of the actual bits...

Ice house game might be your best bet( take 2 or 3 packs of the little plastic prymids, i love martian chess and there are loads of other games.. even a book dedicated to more games i think..

or other samll card games like be clocktowers i've seen game like this on the self in shop with loads fo similar but never played it yet..

phew think that my brain drained!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
On a recent trip i managed to play some Mu and More (Using the Safaru rules) on a plane. Another one that could work (and ive done it in a car) is Pickomino, the entire game can conceivably be played in the lid of the already very small box. Another one ive done in a car is Mahjong using cards instead of tiles (very cheap in any chinese general store). All 2 player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Don't dismiss Travel Blokus becuase of loose components. Each piece actually fits snuggled within the grooves of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played cribbage on transatlantic flights - each player uses their tray to play their hands, and the board sits on the edge on one of the two trays. This works fine, and doesn't take up too much room.

I just got Hive, and I think it would work very well. In fact, reading about playing it on airplanes is one of the reasons I wanted it (besides it being a very cool game!). I do think you'd have to be careful about what direction your pieces went - but you can easily slide the pieces if you needed to. When you play the online version there are scroll bars to use to move the field around, since you might end up playing off the "board" that is viewable.

I've also played lots of Icehouse games on airplanes - especially Volcano and Homeworlds, but... One real risk is, if you drop a piece, you might find that it is incredibly hard to find. While I've never lost a piece, I did drop a friend's piece on an airplane, and we never did find it. Fortunately, they aren't that hard to replace.

Small card games like Pico might work well, too. And of course there are the "travel" editions of lots of games.

Travel Blokus is great - but you do need some space to spread out your pieces. And your fear about losing a piece is entirely realistic.

One other you might consider is "LetterFlip", if you're wife is into word games - it is fairly self contained, and the only thing you'd need to do is to turn the boards so that you can't read the card in your opponents board.

Mystery rummy uses regular sized cards, but it does require room to spread out your melds. On the other hand, there are only 9-10 5 card suits (from what I recall), so this would be manageable on snack trays - it isn't too much, I think.

Good luck on your travels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corsari and Mamma Mia would not take up any serious snack tray space.

I would suggest you consider further the Mystery Rummy games- when I 1st read the title to this thread, Jack the Ripper was the game that sprang to mind immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
If word games are to be considered you might like to take along the old classic Boggle! Self contained and good fun. Not sure how many times you'd want to replay. The issue with picking up a game you don't know is whether or not you'll enjoy it enough to replay it. I'd suggest taking 3 or 4 games. In which case you're probably best taking a deck or two of cards, pen and paper (dots and boxes?) and a book of 2 player card games (of which there are thousands of good ones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I've played cribbage on transatlantic flights

Ditto for me and it can really eat up the time. Never experienced any problems playing on two seat back trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about bits too much, i mean, it's you and your wife playing, not 2 toddlers, i'm pretty sure you guys are going to be able to restrain yourself from flinging the pieces about. We like Guillotine a lot, you just spread out the nobles between the two tray tables. I also have a travel mancala that i like to take with me on the plane, that has small pieces and i've never lost one. Mystery Rummy is of course a great idea, so is cribbage for that matter. I'd think about boggle first though, the reason _I_ don't like boggle is because i can't stand the noise, so i would hate to do that to the passengers around me. Pass the pigs usually travels with me too, but it's pretty light, so i don't know if you want something with more concentration. Anyhow, that's my two bits.mintcamellimecamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Falling

You could even ask others in the plane to join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A third vote for the Mystery Rummy series, though Jack the Ripper seems the most complicated and may not be the best choice. Jeckyll & Hyde is good and others have suggested Wyatt Earp (another Rummy variant by the same designer) as a good plane game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I thought of was Hive. Of course, most card games will work. Mamma Mia is a good choice as is Canal Grande. Spicy Dice / Diangle is a book of six dice games and each page has a board. All you need is a box to throw the dice in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Try Falling. You could even ask others in the plane to join in.

As sickly funny as that is , it seems Falling is hard to get these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you want is Hive. It's a fun, interesting game with a decent ammount of depth, short play time, and high level of replayability. Also, the pieces are solid, will fit on a tray table, and will not fly everywhere if someone knocks it. Give it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corsari (mentioned above) or plain old gin rummy. Both very good two-player games with essentially no table space required other than the draw and discard piles. In Corsari's case, you also have a small set of face up cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlos the Jackal wrote:
I'm looking for a game, not too heavy, for two players, that can be played on an airplane trip of 2 hours or so (game length, of course, can be shorter!).

I would consider the following for airplane play:

Backgammon (the smaller magnetic briefcase style sets)
Battleship Card Game
Boggle (the travel and keyring sets don't make much noise)
Bushi Shogi
Button Men
Card Baseball (from A Gamut of Games)
Cinq-O
Cosmic Coasters
Cribbage
Gloom
Hive
King's Breakfast
LAP (from A Gamut of Games)
Lunch Money
Mancala
Plank (from A Gamut of Games)
Proton
San Juan
Scrabble (there is a nice travel set available)
Set
Shuttles
Sprouts
Stak / Steppe
Volcano
Waving Hands

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Ace of Aces. Classic WW1 air combat game that uses 2 books to show views from your plane to your opponents plane.
- Magnetic chess, backgammon & checker sets.
- "100 pencil and paper games" by Walter Joris. Quite a few of the games are very good.
- In the case of card games, some sort of tray might be handy to keep a draw or discard pile in good order--especially if the plane experiences turbulance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
"100 pencil and paper games" by Walter Joris.

That reminds me of another paper and pencil game that's free and seems appropriate:

http://www.ghoulash.com/welcome.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Others have mentioned these... but I have successfully played Mystery Rummy, Hive, and Canal Grande on an airplane. However, Mystery Rummy involved too many cards on the tray at the same time so I don't do that any more.

Now my flight triumverate is Hive, Canal Grande, and Blue Moon. And get ready for a quick flight. I swear 4 hours on a plane used to be a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
2P bohnanza is what I used to play with my GF on the plane all the time. It's a bit more luck, but still fun. I bet Lost Cities will fit on the fold down tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I saw today in Big Lots a palm-sized electronic version of Chess by Excalibur ideal for that. Allows to play against the computer or a human; and you don't have to worry about loosing a piece. The LCD display is acceptable and reasonable for the price ($10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wiswell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
If word games are to be considered you might like to take along the old classic Boggle! Self contained and good fun. Not sure how many times you'd want to replay. The issue with picking up a game you don't know is whether or not you'll enjoy it enough to replay it.

I wouldn't think you'd want to play Boggle more than once- after that first time of shaking the Big Box and making the loudest noise of the entire flight, you'd be taking your life in your hands with anyone trying to sleep.

I bought Lost Cities for my sister and brother in law recently, and they got in some really quality games on a transatlantic flight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the following link:

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/cg23/Paper_and_Pencil_Gam...

which I found at this geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Schwartz
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree that Cribbage is an excellent two-player plane game, but if you have the window seat, don't forget to pull down the shade!! My (very) ex-girlfriend kicked my butt one flight and later admitted that she cheated by looking at my cards in the reflection of the window. That revelation happened seconds before I broke up with her!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.