Subject: My self-inflicted KS sob story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Barrett
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
Back in March, , I backed the Dungeon Roll Kickstarter campaign.

Several days later, my credit card number was stolen and was used to buy $300 of goods somewhere in northern France, including a $5 stop at McDonalds.

I quickly moved to cancel the number and get a new one. It took several weeks, though to replace the number at the various web sites that I use on a regular basis.

I did not connect the two events until this week, when everyone else was getting their Dungeon Roll shipping notices and I was not. Digging through my financial records, I can find no record of having backed the project.

My best guess: The Kickstarter funding period ended after the card number was cancelled, but before I had replaced the number on Amazon. So when KS went to charge my credit card, it was declined. So, I ended up not being a backer after all.

I know this was an error on my part, and something that I should have noticed months ago. But I'm not an experienced KS backer and this is only my second backed project. I'm not used to clicking on a "purchase" but not having the card charged for several weeks. It was this delay between decision and drawdown that did me in.

This is a huge disappointment. I've been following the updates on the KS site, counting down the days, and looking forward to this week. To discover at the last minute that I won't be getting my copy of Dungeon Roll due to an odd coincidence of bad luck is such a punch in the gut.

I've contacted TMG with my sob story, but I doubt they will be able to do much. They only have my claim that I tried to back the project and that I'm only now discovering my error. Besides which, even if they believed me, I doubt they have many (if any) extra KS versions of the game to sell to a random schmoe like me.

Just wanted to vent. Thanks for hearing me out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing can be done about this, I am sure you'll be able to procure a KS copy from 2nd-hand sellers in a short while here. I can't imagine the price going bananas like some other KS projects; it was so cheap to begin with...

Best of luck; sorry to hear about your ordeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the six-pack myself without any potential buyers, simply because I figured there were people that missed out that would want a copy. I'm only selling them for $15 each (same as a single KS) and if I sell all five, my copy is free.

I've only got one claimed so far, so if you need one, let me know. Although if you can find someone local that did the same thing, you'll be able to get it cheaper than from me for $15 + shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
You can also try Tim Baldwin. He ordered a ton to help us hit the final stretch goal and is selling them for $20 + shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, if your Amazon card info is bad (e.g. the card expires before the project closes), Amazon notifies you, and gives you a few days to resolve it. If you didn't get this notification, I think the more likely scenario is that the KS commitment was considered part of the fraudulent activities by the bank when they were killing unauthorized transactions. Nonetheless, the end effect is the same, and I wish you luck. I'm sure that if there's anything TMG can do to help you, they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel White
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathan, sorry to hear about your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Galliher-Miller
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind...
mbmbmbmbmb
Better luck to you mate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Barrett
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
I've been in contact with TMG, and we're working it out. What a relief.

Great customer service, and I'll have words with any man who says otherwise. arrrh

ETA: Thanks for all the kind words and generous offers. It's great to be part of such a wonderful boardgaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Nathan, if your Amazon card info is bad (e.g. the card expires before the project closes), Amazon notifies you, and gives you a few days to resolve it. If you didn't get this notification, I think the more likely scenario is that the KS commitment was considered part of the fraudulent activities by the bank when they were killing unauthorized transactions. Nonetheless, the end effect is the same, and I wish you luck. I'm sure that if there's anything TMG can do to help you, they will.

Yeah I was in this exact situation last week with a non-Kickstarter Amazon transaction. After my card got cancelled Amazon sent me a polite email asking me to add a new one. They didn't cancel the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Barrett
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
In working to untangle this mess with TMG, we've found a number of things going on simultaneously. It's a bit complicated, and I won't go into it here. Suffice it to say, TMG has been great in communicating with me and working with me to figure out where the disconnect happened. I'll be getting a KS copy of Dungeon Roll, but it might not get shipped until after Gen Con. And that's a heck of a lot better than where I was a few hours ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. The true measure of a company is not how they do things well, but how they handle situations when something has gone wrong. Great to hear they're working it out with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hann_Boe
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlalocbyu wrote:
In working to untangle this mess with TMG, we've found a number of things going on simultaneously. It's a bit complicated, and I won't go into it here. Suffice it to say, TMG has been great in communicating with me and working with me to figure out where the disconnect happened. I'll be getting a KS copy of Dungeon Roll, but it might not get shipped until after Gen Con. And that's a heck of a lot better than where I was a few hours ago.

great to hear that Nathan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always happy Dungeon Roll was published by a class act like the team at TMG. Glad to hear it all worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salemchrist wrote:
Indeed. The true measure of a company is not how they do things well, but how they handle situations when something has gone wrong. Great to hear they're working it out with you.

I've said the same for years, but slightly different. I pay more attention to how a company fixes their screw-ups more than how they screwed it up.

Being in IT for years, it's nothing new to find out that we were sold the wrong thing or sent something different than what we ordered. Some companies were awesome in making things right, others took weeks of fighting and phone calls. The prior kept getting my business, the latter... Not so much.

Good to hear you might be able to work it all out with TMG directly, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Barrett
United States
Sahuarita
Arizona
flag msg tools
FunkyBlue wrote:

I've said the same for years, but slightly different. I pay more attention to how a company fixes their screw-ups more than how they screwed it up.

I just wanted to make it clear that this is MY screw-up that TMG is helping me to fix. It's one thing for a company to fix the messes that they themselves have made, it's another thing for a company to reach out to me, help me find out what went wrong, and then work with me to find a solution that works for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.