Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Townsend
Italy
Roma
Lazio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried out this game a few times on my own to see how it plays.
Since it is lacking a full review I thought it is at least worth giving my thoughts on this game.

The designer has distilled the features of warfare into five main properties - deployment, maneuver, advantage of terrain, bluff and surprise, and objective.
The board consists of irregularly shaped spaces about 21 per side I think. The middle 7 on your side are the ones you must defend as the enemies objective is to move one of their pieces off from there to win.

The forces are equal but may be deployed differently, ie. you get 15 bases each with 3 holes on them and 30 flags to share out amongst those holes. The more flags the slower the base moves but the better it is in attack and defence. So someone may decide to have more 3 flag bases and 1 flag bases and the other person may choose more 2 flag bases.

You maneuver your forces onto the board from the two edges of your defendable strip. I only tried two forces, one against one, but 3 or 4 can be played. In each players turn they can move all their pieces. After a successful battle the defender gets to move back or laterally and the winner gets a go. So you can keep moving forwards with every win, until the initiative passes to your opponent when they win a battle.

The central space on the board confers an advantage to its holder in allowing 3 artillery strike attempts each turn instesd of the usual one. This is tried before moevment and on a roll of 7 you get to remove any one enemy flag.

After movement you may fight one battle, one place wherever you bases are touching enemy bases. All the bases in this group will fight and the aggressor can roll the dice in the bell as many times as they flags in that battle. However you only declare what you rolled, if your opponent decides to retreat he does so, and you take another turn, if he decides to try and beat your declared number he does so, you pass him the bell now and he will declare his number. After any declaration you can try and beat it with rolls and declaration or call it. If the number is what was said (and must obviously be higher than what you declared) you lose and must retreat, etc. If it is false you win.

That's the game in a nutshell, and I could great potential for excruciating moments - should you bluff a higher number that is concievable considering your number of rolls?, are they bluffing?, its a high number that will be hard to beat, but what if they do have it, shall I accept it and hope to roll higher or even bluff higher?...

I look forward to playing someone at it. It is simple, has the main traits of the competition of war, and especial rewards the bold and the surprising, whilst allowing the cautious to have a play too. But who will win out of the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.