Subject: Quick Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I purchased this game in 1989. It is the only Clue game I ever owned and I still play it once in awhile.

I don't know why the game went out of print. The game has more rooms and basically more of everything so it is a little more challenging than the regular Clue game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also i think another thing that makes it better is that when you make a suggestion you don't stop at the first person who has one of the three things in your suggestion.This is different than regular clue so you need to be more creative when you make a guess.So its always good to suggest at least one card that you have in your suggestion but you need to remember things that you have shown to other players as well.The snoop spaces are fun too.There is nothing better than someone snooping your cards only to pick one they have seen already.Still a fun game to play and much better than regular clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
Also i think another thing that makes it better is that when you make a suggestion you don't stop at the first person who has one of the three things in your suggestion.

We find that that rule makes it far too easy, especially if some players make double or triple blind guesses. We always play with the original Cluedo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I don't think we played it with making more than one suggestion? I think we played with the old rules when it came to that. I'll look into it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Easy" or "quick?"

Everyone says "easy," but the difficulty of winning depends on your skill and the skill of your opponents. If you play long enough, eventually you'll have enough suspects, etc. eliminated that the remaining deduction element is very similar to the original Clue.

I believe that the Master Detective suggestion rules do nothing more than shorten the game slightly and change the available strategies. The slight shortening of the game partially offsets the larger number of cards that you must discover/deduce, to make game length a little more manageable, and in my opinion the newly available strategies only improve the game.

matt71 wrote:
I don't know why the game went out of print. The game has more rooms and basically more of everything so it is a little more challenging than the regular Clue game.

I'm guessing it was purely a matter of oversaturation. While Master Detective IS a perfectly good first Clue game, standing on its own, people perceive it to be more like an expansion in spirit. And you need only look at the box to know that they were marketing it to people who already owned the original Clue game, even though you don't need the original Clue board game to play Master Detective out of the box.

It's a lot like buying the special edition Star Wars release even though you already own an older copy. (Don't mean to stir up any Star Wars debates, I just thought it was a good metaphor.)

Edit: Typo and added quote/resposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.