Subject: Deadpool: Random Acts of Unkindness timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
I have a question about the timing of the effect text:

Quote:
"You may gain a wound to your hand. Then each player passes a card from their hand to the player on their left."

First of all my assumption is that since the card passed to the left is not being "gained" by that player, the passed card is going into their hand, correct?

The Timing question is, when does that card get into the player on the left's hand?

My first thought was that the passing to the left happened simultaneously, so that once all players have passed, everyone picks up the cards they were passed. But then there is also this section in the rulebook (pg 16 - Special Abilities on Cards):

Quote:
..."Some cards tell each player to do something. In those cases, the player whose turn it is does it first. Then go in clockwise order"...

So now it appears as if this situation is possible within these rules (in a 3-player game for demostration purposes):

Player A:
- Plays Deadpool: Random Acts of Unkindness and chooses to take a Wound card into their hand from the supply. ("gain .. to hand")
- Passes the Wound card just gained to hand to Player B on their left.

Player B:
- Passes the Wound card they just received from Player A to Player C.

Player C:
- Passes the Wound card they just received from player B back to Player A that played Deadpool in the first place.

I can't seem to find anything else in the rules that would prevent this scenario from happening. For a rare card ability, it would seem like a waste to try and stick the player to your left with a wound in this case.

If the intent of this card was that the passing of cards happens first, and then the passed cards are picked up (which makes alot more sense strategically speaking), then I think there needs to be some sort of clarification for this card.

On the other-hand, if the scenario I described above is within the intent of the rules and card's design, I guess it could be in keeping with Deadpool's unusual nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was brought up a while back I believe. The intent was that each player simultaneously chooses and passes a card to the player on their left, being able to "backstab" your fellow players, in the words of the designer. While it doesn't directly answer your question, the designer's discussion about intent on backstabbing makes it pretty clear to me.

Discussion was HERE.

Deadpool is a wacky guy

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... It would definitely be a very Deadpool thing to end up with the ticking time bomb that he had just passed off to Wolverine...

However, while I agree with you that a literal reading of the rules makes that possible, I feel that that goes against the clear intent of the card. As you said, it is Deadpool's rare, and that would basically make the ability meaningless.

So I will definitely continue playing it that everyone passes their card at the same time without knowing what they are getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'then each player passes a card from their hand to the player on their left'

to me this clearly indicates the passing is simultaneous. otherwise it would be worded differently (like 'then in turn order each player' or something like that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbabel wrote:
'then each player passes a card from their hand to the player on their left'

to me this clearly indicates the passing is simultaneous. otherwise it would be worded differently (like 'then in turn order each player' or something like that).

Look at the rules reference Robert posted in the original post - it uses exactly this wording and says that it is not simultaneous. I feel there is definitely a conflict between RAW and RAI here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
Jacovis wrote:
This was brought up a while back I believe. The intent was that each player simultaneously chooses and passes a card to the player on their left, being able to "backstab" your fellow players, in the words of the designer. While it doesn't directly answer your question, the designer's discussion about intent on backstabbing makes it pretty clear to me.

Discussion was HERE.

Deadpool is a wacky guy

Cheers!

That previous discussion was more about the taking a wound part and whether the passing of cards still occurred if no wound was taken. That discussion doesn't clear up my issue, which is whether the card that gets passed to the left goes into that player's hand immediately, and therefore is able to be passed to the next player on the left.

The section in the rule book I've already quoted above regarding "Each player", would make it appear possible that the card passed by the Deadpool player, could make its way around the whole table and back to where it started.

This may not be the design intent (maybe it is, I can't assume I know what the designer intended), but I'm unable to find anything in the rules to use as a counter argument.

-Meaty1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Robert, but the designer commented about backstabbing your neighbor. It wouldn't be much of a backstab if they could stuff it back into your back instead. I agree it is vague, but it IS something to imply intent by the designer himself.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.