sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am planning on putting some things up in the Gen Con auction this year. I have already pre-registered my stuff, but I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

Here is one of the instructions:
Quote:
Affix the item tag to the corresponding item. Note that this should be done in such a manner that it can be removed without damaging the item, but secure enough that the tag will not get separated from the item accidentally. Also make sure that the bar code is not obscured and is in a "flat" area of the item.

What are some good ways to do this? I do not want to use tape, but I am not sure if Rubber bands are going to do the trick. Is there anything else that works well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubber bands work quite well. Put the tag around the item, bar code on some flat side, then put a rubber band over it. I then tape the tag to the rubber band securely with clear tape, making sure not to cover any of the 'auction staff only' blanks. My preference is to use two pieces of tape at either end of the tag where the rubber band crosses it.

I get the ex. large bands from the office supply store, you don't want it stretching too tight and snapping mid-auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masking tape works fine and does not damage anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people use tape. Rubber bands occasionally break or the paper slips out.

Gen Con Auction is one of my favorite things about the con. Love the auctioneers; they're pretty funny, and when the old guys get up there for the wargames, RPGs, and strategy games it's like a history lesson in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there any way to know when the train game auction will be? I'm only going to be able to go for at most one day and that is the highlight of the convention for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the schedule posted (and it often changes) every morning. Before the con? Don't know; I think it changes depending on the number of entries they have in each category.

LiveGameAuctions.com are the guys who run the Gen Con auction. Perhaps you could contact them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a sample of the auction schedule from 2011 (when and if it's approved). I don't have one from last year, and I'm not sure where train games would be included. Maybe party/family games or historical/board or euro?

Egg on my face. There's a teeny tiny spot for RR games there on Friday. Don't know if it's like that every year, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karadek wrote:

LiveGameAuctions.com are the guys who run the Gen Con auction. Perhaps you could contact them?

Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what times do they check in games? I am arriving LATE on Wednesday and it would be nice to get it out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
what times do they check in games? I am arriving LATE on Wednesday and it would be nice to get it out of the way.

Noon to 6 on Wednesday and starting at 10 AM the Thursday-Saturday (no Sunday auction).

I think they need to leave the room by 6 on Wednesday or they would keep checking stuff in later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that they are really trying t limit items on the auction platform this year. In order to reduce always running over time and such, they're asking that most of it go in the store unless it's a real great piece.

From the web site:
Quote:
Live Auction Item Limits: Our aim is to have no more than 4000 items pre-registered for the stage, leaving us a little room to still take items in onsite. We will be asking for your help to continue putting your best stuff in the live auction and put a few more in the consignment store instead.

That's also a good idea because the store is usually pretty bare until Thursday afternoon. Now with more stuff going directly into the store, shopping in there will be a better idea than waiting for pieces to go up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.