Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone. I want to share my "case" with my last buy from Coolstuff:

First, let me tell that I love Coolstuff and almost all my games came from them. I ordered over $500 from them - and when you live in Brazil that means A LOT of money as you will see.

I think that most of you know that recently USPS raised their prices for international shipping. It was already expensive and now it became even more crazy. What you might not know is Brazilian regulations: If you buy something from another country and the total of the invoice (product + shipping) is over $ 50.00 then you will pay taxes. These taxes are something like 75% of the invoice value. Sometimes they let it go untaxed if the value is not much over $ 50.

Well, a few days ago Coolstuff's deal of the day was the X-Wing Core Set for UDS 20.99. I pulled the trigger on that and I also bought 2 fillers to play at the office: Hanabi and Saboteur 2. After adding and removing the items a lot of times from my cart, I ended up doing the following (2 orders):

CSI Order 851111 wrote:
08/05/2013
Hanabi (R and R Games, No, New)
$7.39
Saboteur 2 Expansion (Z-Man Games, No, New)
$9.99

Sub-Total
Customer Reward Non-Singles 2.00%
USPS 1st Class Int.

Total
Games $17.38
Discount -$0.35
Shipping $32.85
-------------
Total $49.88

And

CSI Order 851113 wrote:
08/05/2013

X-Wing Core Set (Fantasy Flight Games, No, New)
$20.99 $20.99

Sub-Total
Customer Reward Non-Singles 2.50%
USPS 1st Class Int.

Total
Games $20.99
Discount -$0.52
Shippint $32.85
-------------
$53.32

I also added a note in the Paypal payment:

Paypal Note wrote:
I made another purchase today. Please, DO NOT combine shipping as brazilian customs TAX packages that are worth USD 50 or more.

But unfortunately, Coolstuff did combine the orders in one shipping... And, obviously, it was stopped by Brazilian Customs and now I have a tax of $75.00 to pay.

Well, two things bother me. First, if I was to place just one order, the shipping cost would not be $65.70 (2 x $32.85) but $53.40 according to Coolstuff site. I payed more because I wanted the games to be in different packages... not to throw my money away.

Second, order 851111 would pass without being taxed and let's say that order 851113 would be stoped and taxed. Let's assume it would be taxed by $40.00. So, I end up paying $35 more of taxes that I shouldn't have to if they followed my instructions.

Granted, I didn't call them to specifically ask for NOT combined shippings, but I made 2 orders, payed more for the shipping and made a note with my payment.

With all that said, I'd like to know from you guys: what would be a reasonable solution for this case ? What would be fair for both sides ?

Looking forward your constructive replies.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I'm sorry for your troubles. That really is a bummer.

But my constructive feedback is that I would not assume that any comment you put in Paypal would make it to the shipping department of CSI. Those are (conceivably) entirely separate. A better place to put that comment would have been in the second order itself, where they're guaranteed to see it when viewing the order.

I'm sure you can work something reasonable out between you & CSI. I don't think you need to take a poll on BGG to solve the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Rose
United States
Skokie
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that a comment on Paypal was not sufficient communication. An email to customer service would have been better. CoolStuffInc is pretty good about holding orders when they receive an email.

As for solutions, the overcharge on the shipping should at least be credited back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would email CSI and ask them exactly what you asked us: what do you think is a fair solution? Let them have the chance to make things right in your eyes before you ask others...I bet they take care of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
That isn't right. Coolstuff definitely paid less shipping to ship that as one combined order, yet they kept both shipping fees? Very disappointing. A Paypal note is easy to miss, and since you're in another country calling to make this arrangement isn't necessarily an easy option, and an email to CSI might not have been read in time for them to be sure to separate the orders.

Sounds like you probably should have placed order #1 on the "Deal of the Day" day, waited for it to ship, then placed order #2 on another day since it wasn't time-sensitive like the Deal of the Day. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

At minimum, Coolstuff should definitely refund the difference in shipping between what you paid and what they paid, because that's simply wrong of them to keep the extra. They should have refunded it without being asked, and the fact that they didn't really affects my opinion of them.

I'd also like to see them refund to you whatever profit they made on the actual items, so they'd essentially be selling them to you at cost with them making no money on it, to offset the massive tax you're paying on it due to their shipping choice.

You might also suggest an improvement to their checkout system where buyers can include a note when checking out on the CSI website (in addition to the Paypal note) to hopefully prevent this in the future. Boards and Bits has one, and CSI should, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from Argentina and I buy from CSI too.

Never had a problem with them and emailing them directly is your best option. They answered right away.

Here the customs work differently. They charge you 50% no matter de amount. So in my case it's always better to combine shipping.

On another subject just being curious: USPS raised how much? And more important: how much do you pay (average) for a game to be shipped to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally wouldn't chime in, as I know nothing about how Coolstuff ships to other countries. But in 8 years and 81 domestic orders I've never had Coolstuff combine orders on their own decision. Even when it would have made cost effective sense, even when it would have been more convenient, the orders to the same address have always been sent in separate shipments with no mixing of the order inventory.

I've also had in stock items sit in a pre-order bound order for months without them moving any of them to subsequent orders to the same address. Even if doing clearly would have reduced their overall shipping costs.

So, at least domestically, they seem to consider it verboten to combine orders. It seems odd that their international policy would run so completely counter to that, especially when the shipping is being directly buyer paid (rather than domestic free ship threshold). I'd definitely question whether they may have made an abnormal exception to their own established policy, and hold them accountable for the results if so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
If you buy something from another country and the total of the invoice (product + shipping) is over $ 50.00 then you will pay taxes. These taxes are something like 75% of the invoice value. Sometimes they let it go untaxed if the value is not much over $ 50.

While this is not relevant to your question, I should inform you that the sentence above is incorrect.

Taxes are 60% (not 75%), and your state can also charge taxes (ICMS) (going until 80%, or stay at 60%, as far I ve experienced)
All the stuff about $50 value is incorrect.

Of course, this does not justify combining items at all and charging them separately. Next time, write an email to Cory too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the law says that the limit is $50.00. Sometimes they let you pass (I had luck several times) and sometimes not.

Here's the link from Brazilian post office:
http://www.correios.com.br/Produtosaz/complementos/pdf/limit...

Second board: ISENCAO (tax-free) for values up to $50.00, otherwise taxes of 60%.

My state (Santa Catarina) charges ICMS from 17% to 25% (don't remember) over the "customs value" which is product+shipping+import tax.

I have done this several times and I know how much it can be. But thanks for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:

Here's the link from Brazilian post office:
http://www.correios.com.br/Produtosaz/complementos/pdf/limit...

Yes, you r 100% right, however you forgot the "from person to person" (that is different of "from person/company/enterprise to person")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fernqn wrote:

On another subject just being curious: USPS raised how much? And more important: how much do you pay (average) for a game to be shipped to you?

Hi, Fernando. In the beginning of the year USPS raised their prices by 20 to 40%. Now, when I buy a game like Ticket to Ride - for size comparison - the shipping alone is somewhere close to $50. It used to be $35. I can try to be more precise by checking my older orders.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the future: Vote for politicians who will change the law!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesar Puga
Brazil
FLORIANOPOLIS
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your comments. Things I should have done:
- Make my purchases in different dates
- Send an email to CSI immediately after placing the orders
- Don't rely on a paypal note to get to the shipping people
- Vote for someone that will change the law.

I already sent an email to CSI, pointing them to this thread so they can write their side.

Again, CSI is still my favorite OLGS and I have many stories of great customer service with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike_Bonn wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments. Things I should have done:
- Make my purchases in different dates
- Send an email to CSI immediately after placing the orders
- Don't rely on a paypal note to get to the shipping people
- Vote for someone that will change the law.

I already sent an email to CSI, pointing them to this thread so they can write their side.

Again, CSI is still my favorite OLGS and I have many stories of great customer service with them.

Actually, maybe even send the note to CSI before you place the order, just so they know what's what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.