Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first foray into this game, though I have heard quite a bit about it. We played this with 7 players, Dee (me), Bobbie, Lana, Doug, Joe, April and Ruth.
After the rules were explained for Dee and Lana, Joe and Doug squared off on whether or not it was worth it to buy a 3rd beanfield for 3 gold. Doug didn't think it was worth it, while Joe made it clear it would be the first thing he did given the chance.
Joe started off wheeling and dealing right away, going so far as to make a deal with April in which if she gave him the Chili he needed, she could have her pick of either one of the two cards he turned up on his turn. April took this deal and it worked out in her favor: she got her coffee. Dee was collecting coffee for what seemed like hours and finally cashed out and followed Joe's lead: she bought a third field. At some point she made the vital mistake of collecting red then had to rip it out when Doug ended up picking up 2 at different times, leaving her with little hope to ever get a harvest. Dee also followed Joe's lead and made a deal with him for a pick of whatever she ended up drawing.
Doug never quite got his economy off the ground and ended up ripping out many of his planted beans, Ruth quietly took some freebies and made many smart choices in what she planted and Bobbie also quietly kept chugging along, picking up freebies and making good harvest choices. Lana and April did well but they both got stuck having to make some tough choices and luck seemed to be against them.
Dee and Joe probably made a mistake with the 3rd bean field, although Joe will deny this. Considering neither one won, the reasoning seems to be clear. The third beanfield did make it easier to not have to make tough choices, though.
It seems that at one point or another everybody was in the Wax Biz and eventually everyone hated Wax beans and declared that they were out of that end of things forever.
In the end, slow and steady Bobbie and Ruth tied for first with 16 gold, followed by Joe and Dee with 14 and 12 respectively, with April, Lana and Doug rounding out the bean count.

I cannot see this game ever getting boring, but Joe, the wheeler-dealer of the group, can do without it. Everbody seemed to have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes this game is always close and one of the tough decisions is whether or not to buy the third bean field.The only time it seems to be an advantage is if you are the first one who can do it.But it seems if you are the 2nd or 3rd person to do it than you can not make up those three beans you spend to buy it.Still a great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Third bean field
It really depends on the number of people. With 7 players, the cards are gone through so quickly that there is little advantage to getting the third field. The winners in our games with seven arre split between those with and without the third field. The story is quite different with fewer players. With 3-5 players, there are many more turns during the three times through the deck, and the third field is almost a necessity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Douglass
United States
East Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While its true that a combination of poor choices and even poorer card draws kept me from really getting a thriving bean business off the ground, (I scored a measly 10 gold) I take solace in that fact that I was right and the winners did not have that 3rd bean field.

That and I'm always at a disadvantage when I play Bohnanza with Ruth. She will only trade with me as a last resort. She hates it when I win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Loggy wrote:
... I take solace in that fact that I was right and the winners did not have that 3rd bean field.

Ah, but the question is not whether the 3rd field makes you win. The question is whether the 3rd field increases your score. In other words, did that field provide opportunities to score at least 3 more gold than without the field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.