Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I managed to grow up without so much as having seen Heroquest. fast forward a couple (few) decades and I found two base sets at a Value Village for $5. Also included was Kellars Keep. Not a bad score. I figured at the very least I could burn it out on ebay but my first thought was it would be a great way to try out the cooperative mechanic with my game group.

The game rules seemed staight forward enough and the first quest leaves off traps and secret doors so it introduces and explains very well.

We decided that there were only 4 of us and as I was the evil wizard there would be 4 characters to play and only 3 people to play them. Pam took the elf, Jen took the fighter and Mark took the wizard. The Dwarf was relegated as the spare until someone died and then they would take over that character.

The line of sight mechanic is pretty cool and really gives the player a sense of exploring the dungeon. The players quickly learned that searching for treasure has its good and bad sides and they pulled their fair share of hazards and wandering monsters. It really added tension when reaching for the next treasure card.

The group quickly figured out where to place characters when entering rooms and attacking monsters. The wizard quickly ran out of combat spells and it was general concensus that next time we will use the wizard as the spare character.

The quest was completed in 90 mins or so. Longer than I would have thought but the game never seemed to lag. I also allowed "fast forwards" to cut down on needless cycles of roll and move.

Everyone in the group took damage and two came close to dying. The group collected a fair amount of gold and with some careful shopping weaker characters should get a bit of a boost.

All in all it was a fun time had by all and for 5 bucks you can't go wrong. In fact everyone was talking about playing it again and Descent is now on our "must buy" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you guys enjoyed Heroquest, you will probably dig Descent. I played Heroquest for a great many years growing up because it was the best dungeon crawl board game that I'd come across. Thankfully, Descent has been released to satisfy the need for a little more complex gameplay. It's a great game with a higher "tension" value, due to the Overlord deck mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.