11 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: To buy or not to buy... that is the question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
A buddy of mine was telling me he had been looking around for World of Warcraft the Boardgame. It came with a hefty pricetag, but everyone was trying to get their hands on it and our local game store was always sold out of the couple copies they were shipped.

I started reading up on WoW-TBG here on BGG and there were some pretty poor reviews. Every game has its supporters and detractors, but there were really some disappointed people with that game.

So then I took a look at Descent. The Reviews are pretty good and people seem generally pleased with it. The ranking is pretty high as well, at least in comparison with WoW-TBG.

However I looked at the pictures and I recognize a lot of the heroes from Runebound, which I bought recently and am really enjoying right now.

So my question is, should I buy Descent? I enjoy Runebound and I bought the IoD large expansion and the 6 mini expansions as it is, and they have a new midnght expansion and 6 more mini-expansions on the way this month... and I will probably buy those as well. Descent does look different as it seems more a dungeon crawl and sounds very interesting, but is it just that much different from Runebound that it is worth its hefty pricetag?

If I have both after a few plays, will Descent collect dust on my shelf while I continue to play Runebound? Will it be the opposite that I would get hooked on Descent? Or are the games different enough that I would want to play both games equally?

Anyone that has played both please let me know your thoughts. If I could order it for $25 I would just get it... but over $50 before the shipping charge I want to make sure I am going to get some play out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games, and have played them numerous times each. They are totally different, despite the similar world and characters.
Descent is a miniatures game, with a strong dungeon crawling adventure component. Runebound is a questing adventure board game. Both games have character advancements, but they play differently.
Descent is a group vs. overlord game...Runebound is an individual game for the most part. Descent has more player interaction and dialogue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner (and player) of both, I must say that I'm happy to own both Runebound and Descent. One is a sprawling RPG-style adventure that is grandiose in scale, the other is a dungeon crawl with some interesting strategic and tactical decisions to make. One is a competitive race-to-kill-the-big-bad-guy game, the other is a cooperative effort of Heroes against an Overlord out to plot their doom.

Good thing they're different enough (play-wise) to justify me owning both! The only thing that similar is that they're set in the same universe with the same Heroes. Other than that, they're quite different.

Pick up Descent. You won't regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are great. If you like the setting of Runebound, there's more of the same in Descent. But the mechanics of each game are totally different. I was looking at buying either WoW or Descent, and the thing that tipped my over were the reports that WoW in the endgame becomes rather tedious in figuring out your dice pool each attack, there's little game interaction between sides, and it takes a very long time to play.

Having played through 6 complete Descent quests, I can say that it's an extremely fun game, although it, too, takes a while to complete a quest. We need to make sure we have a good 5 hours, although with a 4 month old, we do take frequent breaks. Descent accepts rules tweaks well, allowing you to tailor the game exactly to your own tastes. And with the FFG quest editor available, it had endless replay right out of the box. Even at full retail price, just the number of miniatures alone makes it a good value. You do get your money's worth.

And you'll still want to play Runebound. There's just some days that you want that epic adventure feel, over killing wave after wave of beastmen. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Wow thanks for the quick replies everyone. It is my busy time of year right now (tax season) but I think when things settle down for me in about 6 weeks, I will definitely pick this game up.

Thanks again. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that there's a ridiculously easy-to-use scenario editior for Descent that will extend the life of the game infinately. There's also an expansion due later this year. So replayability isn't an issue.

Being a fan of Runebound will definately get you into Descent even more, as it's based in the same universe (story wise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Humrich
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakjaks wrote:

So my question is, should I buy Descent? I enjoy Runebound and I bought the IoD large expansion and the 6 mini expansions as it is, and they have a new midnght expansion and 6 more mini-expansions on the way this month... and I will probably buy those as well. Descent does look different as it seems more a dungeon crawl and sounds very interesting, but is it just that much different from Runebound that it is worth its hefty pricetag?

Let me see, you bought Runebound for $50, Island of Dread for $35 and the six card expansions for 6x $6 = $36 for a total of $121 and think Descent for $80 does have a hefty pricetag?

Okaaaaaaay.

blakjaks wrote:

If I have both after a few plays, will Descent collect dust on my shelf while I continue to play Runebound? Will it be the opposite that I would get hooked on Descent? Or are the games different enough that I would want to play both games equally?

The games are different enough that you want to play both. We currently play Descent more than Runebound, although due to the long playtime of Descent that might change after the "it's new" effect wears of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike tauman

New Jersey
msg tools
Lorien17 wrote:
blakjaks wrote:

Let me see, you bought Runebound for $50, Island of Dread for $35 and the six card expansions for 6x $6 = $36 for a total of $121 and think Descent for $80 does have a hefty pricetag?

Okaaaaaaay.

Well other than the main game I bought the IoD and the 6 mini-expansions from my local game store for 25% off, so 35+6+6+6+6+6+6=$71 * 75% = $53.25.

The main game I bought online for $34 (shipping around $9 though) for about $43, for a total of $96.

Yes this is more than $80 (and a lot more than what I will ultimately pay since I am not going to buy everything online) but not terribly so.

However being a long time fan of Talisman I was looking for a game just like Runebound. Descent I have read about but I wasn't sure if it would be for me, especially since probably only 1 friend of mine and I will play it (my dad and g/f won't like it I am sure), and then when I saw it was the same characters and tokens as Runebound I just wanted to make sure it was different enough that it is worth the investment to have both.

Again I probably will pick it up in about 40 days or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reality, I think it was worth it for me, because I got Descent for $65 online, and although I play the game quite regularly with my wife, I also use the figures for other board games (my home-made Warhammer Quest game, for one).

Just the bits itself was worth $40 of price I paid.

Now, if you aren't into customizing adventures and trying new scenarios you write yourself, using house rules, or creating weird hybrids of games, I don't think that Descent is for you.

However, I really, really like this game. The issues others seem to have don't seem to occur in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Humrich
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakjaks wrote:
However being a long time fan of Talisman I was looking for a game just like Runebound.

You might want to check out "The Prophecy" or "Return of the Heroes" if you like Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.