Subject: How does this game play with only 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rawson
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm considering giving Niagara to friends. They prefer games like Carcasonne and Alhambra, which are almost as enjoyable with two players as they are with 4 or 5 players. Does Niagara play well with only 2 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 2-player a few times, and it was enjoyable. However, when only 2 play, the river movement tends to get quite rapid on occasion because there are less movement markers played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgin
United Kingdom
Kempston Hardwick
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful to know these comments.
I have just bought Niagara & thought it was for 2-5 players. However, when getting the game, it says 2-5 on the back of the box, 3-5 on the sides, and 3-5 in the rule booklet!!!
Good to know that it can still work as a 2 player game as, more often than not, it's just me and my partner available to play games.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgin
United Kingdom
Kempston Hardwick
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following previous comment.
I have now tried this game as a 2 player.
I don't think it works very well for 2 with just the standard rules. As Tom says, the river gets quite rapid & I think play becomes quite predictable and not that enjoyable - no matter how great the running river mechanics are.
We then tried it with Brent's suggestion of dummy hands and I have to say that this worked much better and made the game a much more enjoyable experience.
The other comment I would make is that with 2 players it becomes the easiest option to try & win by getting four purple gems as they are the easiest ones to grab. I read on another link that someone suggested reducing the number of gems used in the game for 2 players to stop this from happening so easily. Will give that a go next time we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought this game based on the incorrect statement that it is designed for 2 players. That's clearly not the case.
It seems though that the modifications are straight forward since we came up with the same ideas that have been mentioned here earlier.

1) add dummy player: we just added one and it seemed to work out okay. Revealing the cloud for that dummy player should have no impact on gameplay.

2) reduce number of gems to 4, 5, or 6 in each cave. This way players are forced to use some strategy rather than playing a solitaire "get the purple gems" game.

Not 2-player related, but important: when moving the river keep pushing with the extra tiles from the far end. If you get lazy and keep pushing the same tile along the river rather than adding new ones at the far end all the time, it's much more likely for the river to get stuck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am going to have to try the dummy player or dummy hand options. As for the jamming issue, the disks don't seem to jam if you stop sliding the new disk just before it's back edge crosses the rope line (almost immediatly after the disks drop over the waterfall). Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.