Jeffrey Roe
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thought I'd pass on this recent news story from Reuters:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.as...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oy vey!

Come children, let's go back to the Screen, must go to the Screen, the world is in the Screen zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The time required for a traditional board game is an hour. We came up with the concept of a snack. We identify that most people today just don't have discretionary time."

Wow. People today don't even have an hour to spend? Wow.

I guess I'll go back to playing Three Days of Gettysburg now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wang
United States
west covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They dont have 1 hour to spend on boardgame but spent at least 2-3 hours on TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Roe
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here are comments from readers on Fark:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1932561

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was given a Trivial Pursuit DVD Pop Culture game. We tried playing it with the DVD and quickly realized that the DVD was more annoying than bringing additional enjoyment, as intended. Personally, if I want to use my TV for games, I'll play a video game. If I'm going to play a board game, I don't even want to be in the same room as the TV. Board games will also always hold some appeal for strategy and player interaction that video games just can't compete with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
"We identify that most people today just don't have discretionary time"

*steps up on soapbox*

People spend how many hours a month watching tv, playing video games, going to movies or surfing the Internet? Truth is people today have a lot more discretionary time than people use to.

It takes 5 minutes to load a dishwasher. Doing laundry takes all of the amount of time it takes someone to get to their washing machine and turn the dial to on. Cooking takes minutes in the microwave and if not we have all these wonderful things that "cook in 5 minutes". All these day to day things today take a few minutes as where they took much longer 50 years ago when one washed dishes by hand, had to take the wet laundry out and hang it on the cloths line and we didn't have minute rice sitting in the cupboard.

Problem is nobody wants to say "Oh I have more spare time than I know what to do with these days". Having no spare time we equate with being important and successful so we like to brag that we don't have any. Truth is our generation has much more spare time than our grandparents had thanks to all the gadgets we have to make our lives easier. That's also why we have so many different ways to spend it.

I think a better description for these games are they're designed for people with short attention spans in mind. People who who simply don't have the attention span to play a game for an hour or who really don't want to take the time to play a full game of Life with the kids. Instead they can pop the DVD into the player and 20 minutes later think they spent some quality time with the kids and go back to surfing the net or watching the TV show they recorded on the DVR.

*steps off soapbox*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Saint Charles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the "time" complaint is superfluous. The popular "Scene-It" DVD games take at least an hour to play. It may be more the concept of quieter and less structured time that dissuades people from playing board games nowadays. The hour-long DVD game is flashy and noisy and attention-grabbing, whereas a game on the table requires a little more human input to generate its excitement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasey Relford
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this :

Quote:
"People don't want to invest an hour and a half in a game waiting for turns. You can wait six to seven minutes for a turn."

...makes me very sad. Isn't *THAT* what's GREAT about our hobby !? This complaint COULD be directed towards SOME instances of AP, but..'an hour and a half to play a game' ? I've played games that took longer than THAT just to SET UP !?

I pity the people who fall into the quoted category.

Nothing worth having ever came EASY.

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All these day to day things today take a few minutes as where they took much longer 50 years ago when one washed dishes by hand, had to take the wet laundry out and hang it on the cloths line and we didn't have minute rice sitting in the cupboard.

I understand your point, but I actually do wash dishes by hand & we hang wet laundry out on the washing line, as do most people we know.

Maybe Australia is just 50 years behind the US.

wow
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote (probably too much) about this story on this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/824005#824005

But we were bringing up the same points over there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion - I think there are two other factors in the Aussie fabric that indicate why people choose the path you are doing for some of your "chores". First is the "almost unconcious" green thinking Aussies have. Almost all Aussies I know think greener than US folks, even our liberals, which woudl be your Labor - even your Liberals, which are our conservatives, think more green than our moderate liberals. wowshake

Second, most of these gadgets we get relatively inexpensively are more expensive. Not sure exactly why that is, maybe import taxes? Maybe shipping? Maybe because people have less disposable income because of higher taxes? A combination of all of them?

But you do have other gadgets I presume that still reduce your time - say an oven or stove, better than having to light a fire to cook. Or a car to get you from point A to point B as opposed to a horse or walking.

But regardless, since you are a member of the site, I presume you still fall into the segment of having more time than at least 2 generations ago...

Just observations, not a criticism. (soon off to Melbourne with my wife to visit the in-laws...)

Cheers!
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, an hour discretionary time IS huge to me!!!

I do not watch TV. I will watch movies with the kids. But otherwise, my time is extremely tightly scheduled between work, freelance work, taking and teaching karate, and being in a very active band.

Boardgames, which are absolutely dear to me, come waaaayyy at the end of the list of valuable things to do with my time and usually need to be scheduled in.

Today's actual schedule:
6-7 AM get up, work out
7-8:30 AM wake kids, get them ready for school, get ready for work.
8:30-9 AM get kids to school, self to work
9-12:30 work
12:30-1:30 Go home for lunch, cover some freelance work, package game for trade and deliver
1:30-5 work
5-6 PM get kids, bring them home and feed them, prepare for karate class
6-7 PM play with kids, get showered, dressed and head to karate
7-8 PM karate class
8-9 PM go with family for ice cream or such
9-9:30 get kids to bed
9:30-10:30 Clean house, spend time with wife and get ready for bed

Sorry, no hour free to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.