Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are meeples naked? Well, that's a question that has been keeping me awake for the last couple of nights.

The only evidence the meeples are not naked, but are in fact wearing clothes is that their different skin colors (blue, black, red, green, yellow and gray) are pretty strange (figure 1). Even though people have slightly different skin colors few people are as brightly colored as the meeples, and none are blue (exceptions being the Blue Man Group and The Smurfs). However, we forget one important thing. Meeples are not people and might in fact have totally different skin colors than humans.

Figure 1: Meeples with different skin colors.

One of the main evidence the meeples are in fact naked is that the entire meeple has the same color. Unless the meeples are wearing matching shoes, gloves and a hat pulled down very low, or their skin has the exact same color as their clothes then they are in fact naked.

Further evidence meeples are naked comes from the fact that the Carcassonne pigs come in the same colors as the meeples (figure 2). Unless the pigs are wearing clothes (which they rarely do) we have further evidence the meeples are naked.

Figure 2: The pigs have the same skin color as the meeples (and the builder in this image).

This is strong evidence the meeples are in fact walking around the tiles absolutely naked (figure 3). Naked thieves might not be that hard to imagine and farmers and knights have been known to work naked occasionally. Naked monks don't seem very likely though. Unfortunately, that's something I can't explain. However, further Carcassonne research will hopefully resolve that mystery as well.

Figure 3: Are they working naked?

If the meeples are in fact naked, how do you tell the difference between male and female meeples? I have looked very closely but haven't managed to see any difference between my meeples. Maybe the meeples included with Carcassonne are of the same gender. That would explain why there are no baby meeples in my Carcassonne box even though the meeples have had plenty of spare time lying around in the box all alone without me disturbing them (figure 4).

Figure 4: The meeples inside this box are not making babies.

Perhaps the big meeples that comes with Inns and Cathedrals are of another gender. However, I keep those in a separate plastic bag so they have not had any chance to get close to the other meeples (figure 5).

Figure 5: Two meeples of different gender?

Well, we may never know for certain if the meeples are naked or not. Maybe we need to contact Rio Grande Games to get a definite answer. Another entirely different meeple-mystery is what this huge meeple ate to get that big (figure 6). Cats perhaps.

Figure 6: Cat-eating MEGA-meeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh they're definately naked. That's been found to be the only way to keep them in the game they belong in. You see, most meeples are fairly shy. So, in keeping them naked, they are too embarrassed to venture out to other games and become "lost". Every once in a while, a meeple with strong self confidence will emerge from the pack and make a break for it. They can often be seen streaking about in the wrong games..

This rarely ends well for the venturesome meeples...

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very entertaining.

Meeple traders do sell textiles, although I've never witnessed them selling to another meeple. Hmmm. I guess it is not for us humans to truly understand the meeple and her ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But according to this image the Count and the Fairy are not meeples. They might have clothes on, but meeples dont

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they wear very provocative body paint. So...they are naked in a way...and covered up in another.
Their naughty bits have been neutralized to avoid confusion, disagreement, and mild amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I figure they are clothed or otherwise there would a least a little meeple reproductive activity going on in my Carcassonne box, but alas, I just checked and there are no new meeples...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But does anyone know the actual gestation period of meeples if they reproduce? nope. Maybe it's 20+ years..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a blue and a yellow meeple were to "get together," so to speak, would you end up with a green meeple? Or is yellow a recessive gene? I guess we won't know until the Carcassonne: Geneticists & Obstetricians expansion comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote clothed - clearly these are uniformed officers;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that Meeples are like the dwarves of Discworld: only they can tell the difference between the sexes, 70 years is considered too young to know these things, and discretion is paramount.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of another reason why the Meeples probably are all male or all female. If that wasn't the case you would be able to breed your own replacement parts instead of buying new replacement meeples from Rio Grande Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly they don't attach the same significance to clothes we do. Naked Monks could just be taking the vow of poverty to extremes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ah but as the philosopher said, “Meeple is in the eye of the beholder”. What does this mean? Well basically it means that meeple exist in both states at once, in potentia. Whilst in the game box or unselected by a player on the table, they are both clothed and unclothed. It is the selection by the player and their personal belief about meeple that collapses the wave form and renders the meeple clothed or naked. Once freed from the control of the player the meeple once again returns to a dual state of potential. It’s a bit like Schrodinger’s cat really.

Now if only I could figure out the answer to the question ‘If a farmer meeple falls in a field and there is no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?’

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This assumes the Meeples themselves are inanimate objects. Shame on you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Several years ago I implemented a standalone Carcassonne game that you could play over a network. I took some artistic liberties and clothed the meeples so that you could more easily tell what they represented based on their position on the tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top row, third across: gave me a Star Wars flashback...

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
gavingva wrote:
Top row, third across: gave me a Star Wars flashback...

Gavin

Yeah. A little too similar to the Jawas of Tatooine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY PAQUETTE
United States
ATTLEBORO
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Carcassone apparently left out the rules about the gun-toting ninjas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
imbiginjapan wrote:
My copy of Carcassone apparently left out the rules about the gun-toting ninjas.

The nerve of some companies! I'd complain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
If a blue and a yellow meeple were to "get together," so to speak, would you end up with a green meeple? Or is yellow a recessive gene? I guess we won't know until the Carcassonne: Geneticists & Obstetricians expansion comes out.

Opening gaming to whole new markets...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are naked, they are naked! Can't you see their privies? Of course, you need to use a really powerful magnifying glass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Well it's always been apparent to me that the "Builder" is sporting the sacred garments of Freemasonry, what with his baker's hat and ritual apron. A more fearful thought is that the rest of the Meeples are wearing head-to-toe, face-veiling burkas! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And why should we fear those wearing burqas, especially those wearing burqas who are 1/100th of our own size?

So long as they freely chose to wear the burqa, that is their right.
Of course, if the games manufacturers are forcing unwilling meeples to wear burqas, that is quite another matter.

Maybe we could make a board game about it?

Edit: I don't think many people put burqas on their pigs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Appelbaum
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Quote:
Edit: I don't think many people put burqas on their pigs!

No, generally the burka-wearing people aren't real big on pigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
fsumarc wrote:
But does anyone know the actual gestation period of meeples if they reproduce? nope. Maybe it's 20+ years..

I don't know why you're worrying about the Meeples. It's obviously the TILES that are gettin' it on. We refer to a new generation of tile babies as an 'expansion', and all evidence shows that the gestation period is pretty quick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.