Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this game last night, we hit upon a rules dispute which I consider silly, but I'll post it here and see what the rest of you think.

Here's the situation: a player with Ishtar (protects you/your pieces from another god) is in combat with a player who has Mars (+6 to a combat die roll after seeing the result). The Mars player...who, I'm guessing, is also into Magic: The Gathering...believed that Ishtar should not offer any defense against Mars because he targets the dice, not the opponent. I argued that since Mars is directly helping to wipe out the pieces belonging to Ishtar's player, Ishtar should most definitely be usable.

To me, this is a common sense issue that would have been no issue at all before the days of M:tG and its multitudes of timing and phrasing issues...but, if enough people here side against me, I'll relent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is interesting. I asked the very same question on the Mare Nostrum forum, and got a response from Serge Laget himself. He has used M:tG as inspiration, something which has not at all improved the clarity of the text, by the way. His answer was that since the effect of Mars is to wipe out one of Ishtar's legions, it is direct, thus targetted at the player, and that therefore Ishtar can be used to hold Mars at bay. Ishtar does not work against Athena, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would side with your friend. Mars' affects the dice directly, not your unit. However, it is hard to argue with the designer himself. The spirit of the rules and the wording of the rules are often not in accord and I believe this is one of those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ishtar works against Mars, this is specifically covered somewhere. It doesn't work against Athena, Hermes or Isis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Philip Thomas wrote:
Ishtar works against Mars, this is specifically covered somewhere. It doesn't work against Athena, Hermes or Isis.

I think that if I were a goddess, I would smite you where you sit for calling me an 'it' laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you're not a goddess then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Serge Laget himself says I was right. Awesome. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Y
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mb
My group had this same dispute. It was even discussed here.

though personally I'd agree, pointing out that it specificly says the bounus targets the dice... Interestingly this brings up the question could mars be used in conjunction with a fort or mythical beast only as there are no dice rolled at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes, cause it's assumed that dice WERE rolled for forts/mythical creatures, but given that it would be an automatic "6" anyway, there would be no reason to physically roll them.

If you like, you could roll dice for them ... they become a 6... then apply +6 to the total using Mars's ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.