David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
I want both. I can afford one. So short of some highly generous Geek saying "I hated so much you can have my copy for the postage just to take it from my sight", I need to choose.

My usual group is four people, so no help there. They're fans of Settlers, Carcassonne, Diplomacy and Shogun (AKA Samurai Swords... I sold one of them my copy for £25 before I found out how much it was worth yuk ) - no help there either. I personally don't want either more than the other; I want them both, dammit!

So, can anyone help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Caylus for your group. A Game of Thrones is probably my favorite game in the whole world, but you really (REALLY) want five players, not four and definitely not three. If your group likes Diplomacy they'd probably like AGOT, but you'd need to find a fifth player.

Caylus is sort of Settlers on steroids. It's much deeper than Settlers and there are many differences, but at heart Caylus is a collect-the-resources-and-spend-them-wisely game. It works well with any number of players from two to five. Playing time is a little shorter than AGOT: games often last over two hours but rarely as long as three hours. I think you and your group will enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Caylus. I've read the rules. I've watched people playing it. I've heard it can be a real brain-burner. I'm eager to try it...but I can wait.

I just bought AGoT and I've gotta say...I REALLY like it.

The tastes of your group leads me to believe they will REALLY like it. I would also pick up the expansion Clash of Kings. The ports option is very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

If you're not going to regularly have 5 people together to play then I would NOT recommend Game of Thrones. While it's an outstanding game, I think you need 5 to really make it shine. Caylus on the other hand is an even better game, and works really well with 4 people (or with 2, 3, or 5). I think you should probably go with Caylus, and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Sholto wrote:
I just bought AGoT and I've gotta say...I REALLY like it.

The tastes of your group leads me to believe they will REALLY like it. I would also pick up the expansion Clash of Kings. The ports option is very cool.

I agree with Major Sholto in every way. But it's still true that you don't want it if you don't have five players. And while it's also true that AGOT is even better with the expansion, that doubles the price and the original poster has already made it clear that, tragically, he can afford only one box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Game of thrones works with 4 pretty well and seems better suited for your gaming group...
Caylus has nothing in common with settlers (not even the steroid thing). it has new mechanism and gameplay wich you can read up on here at the geek...
Look at the pro and con's and decide wich one you would like better not what others say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ordered from a US mailorder game store chances are you could get both games for about the same as what a single game would cost in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lexen wrote:
Game of thrones works with 4 pretty well

This is true, especially the part about "pretty well." YMMV, but if I could buy only one game I wouldn't want to settle for "pretty well." Caylus works great with any number.

lexen wrote:
Caylus has nothing in common with settlers (not even the steroid thing). it has new mechanism and gameplay wich you can read up on here at the geek...

There are plenty of differences between Settlers and Caylus; I'm just pointing out the similarities to someone who has played Settlers but not Caylus. And yes, there are similarities. Both are the standard resource-management type of eurogame. Both involve building up your own position without tearing down those of your opponents. Both involve purchasing and placing buildings in order to gain victory points, and both offer other ways to obtain victory points as well. Lots of eurogames are like that, and if you like any one of them, you're likely to enjoy others.

I love A Game of Thrones; I just don't think the original poster's group is large enough to make it an ideal purchase. But any group that enjoys eurogames and can handle the intensity of Diplomacy should get great enjoyment from Caylus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you ordered from a US mailorder game store chances are you could get both games for about the same as what a single game would cost in the UK.

You're grossly underestimating the amount of shipping and duty I'd have to pay. Thoughthammer sell Caylus at $32.47 pre-order, which is the cheapest I've seen; that's £18.50 at the current rate, so I'll have to pay tax at 17.5% for a total of £21.75. On top of that I have to pay shipping. Even at the $8 for domestic US shipping - and I'll bet my copy of Aliens: Expansion that it will be far more than that - would put the cost up to £26.31.

Or I can go into my FLGS and pay £27.99 even if I don't get my 10% regular customer discount.

Anyway, the point is moot as I don't have any means of buying from a non-UK store - no credit card, and FraudPal locked my account when I refused to refund money to a thief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
MrSkeletor wrote:
Caylus is for dorks. A game of Thrones all the way babbbby!!!

People who play Caylus lay with sheep. It is known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Caylus is for dorks.

Not quite up there with "Bite me Euronerds", but I'll give you d10-7 for effort but d10-2 for accuracy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You will like Thrones more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayden Scott
Australia
Glen Iris
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

You like Caylus, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
I recommend Caylus for your group. A Game of Thrones is probably my favorite game in the whole world, but you really (REALLY) want five players, not four and definitely not three. If your group likes Diplomacy they'd probably like AGOT, but you'd need to find a fifth player.

Caylus is sort of Settlers on steroids. It's much deeper than Settlers and there are many differences, but at heart Caylus is a collect-the-resources-and-spend-them-wisely game. It works well with any number of players from two to five. Playing time is a little shorter than AGOT: games often last over two hours but rarely as long as three hours. I think you and your group will enjoy it.

well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

That's a vote for Caylus, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Caylus (seems to be consensus here on the Geek too). I found A Game of Thrones dull and random. There are many more chance elements in it than in Caylus.

I have only played AGOT with 5 and Caylus with 3 though. Caylus is a deep game and there is plenty there to play with. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Caylus is a much heavier, thinking, analysing game. GoT is much more about negotiation and psychology and bluffing. GoT is also slightly longer*, and has the possibility of someone getting eliminated (Unlikely) or very nearly eliminated (Much more likely) and Caylus has much less of this. GoT is also more random, there's no randomness in the battles (Aside from teh other player's choices), but the event cards are random and have an _enormous_ effect. If the card that allows everyone to get more troops doesn't come up for a while, it'll be a boring game until it does. Caylus also suffers from analysis paralysis and can be a bit dry, which GoT never suffers from.

*But, oddly, it doesn't seem as long.

Summary: Both are great games. You won't go wrong whichever you choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
Caylus is sort of Settlers on steroids. It's much deeper than Settlers and there are many differences, but at heart Caylus is a collect-the-resources-and-spend-them-wisely game.

Caylus is sort of Snakes And Ladders on steroids. It's much deeper than Snakes and Ladders and there are many differences, but at heart Caylus has the same kind of winding track on the gameboard.

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

While there are some superficial similarities to Settlers (collect-the-resources-and-spend-them-wisely), the games are in fact very different (IMHO). A perhaps better comparison I've seen bandied about is that Caylus is a mix between one of the Breese games (Keythedral?) mixed with Ys, but I haven't played either of those so can't comment.

I don't know about AGOT, but Caylus is excellent (and if that makes me a dork, so be it ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus has more replayability value than AGoT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, loved Caylus, hated AGoT. In its defense, to be fair, AGOT is a great game. But in the beginning, in a 5-player (recommended) game, not everyone will be able to develop strategies intuitively, and there's a VERY good chance one or more of your group will not like it, or even hate it, due to the asymmetrical nature of the houses. If you go the AGoT route, be sure to get them all to read the rules and strategies for all the houses BEFORE you ever set up the game for play. The more you know about the background and the game, the better chance you'll get it back onto the table. Also, many people say the game is broken without the expansion, which is another chunk of money.

Caylus works fine as is, and is a great 4-player game. It offers equal opportunities to all players from the start, and is totally determined by player choices and player position. There are multiple routes to victory.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your equation, but I highly recommend Fury of Dracula. It's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bookgnome wrote:
Not to throw a monkey wrench into your equation, but I highly recommend Fury of Dracula. It's great.

I already have the real Fury of Dracula. The fake one isn't out here yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both games and unlike most here I like AGOT as much with four as I do five. Since your group likes Diplomacy I think you'll like AGOT as well and if you have read the books you'll like it even more.

I am also a big fan of Caylus as well. I have played Caylus a few times over the last month and I'm looking forward to playing it again. I have the 2nd edition on order and can't wait until it comes in.

If you are looking for a negotiation war game with battles and backstabbing then AGOT is the way to go.

If your looking for a resource management city building game with plenty of backstabbing then go with Caylus.

You won't be sorry with either choice. In fact I suggest buying one and having one of the other members of your regular group buy the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Potvin
United States
Brooklyn Park
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong vote for AGOT's. That being said I am one of the few on the geek who dislike Caylus. I find Caylus to be long boring ride to no where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, Games of Thrones is dorky.....laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thank you all for your help. It was interesting to compare the differences between gaming for fun and gaming for perfection.

I eventually went for Caylus, partially because it was cheaper but mainly because I saw an offer on AGoT and its expansion that would make it cheaper at a later date. However, be warned that should it come to pass that we not like Caylus, I shall hunt down those of you who recommended it and kill you all! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! devildevildevil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.