Subject: Master of my own disaster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rawson
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love this game, and the other the other reviews captured the game play and strategy very well. This is a slightly different review. I'm not going to go into the full details of the game, just a few other issues worth considering. Please learn from my mistakes.

Managing the Math
This is a math-heavy game. The math isn't complex, it's just that the numbers are bigger than I can count on my fingers and toes. (For example, 13+19+26 = 58.) When I played 2 or 3-player sessions, we used some cheap calculators (conferences give-aways or dollar store purchases), and we checked each others math. (My wife doesn't trust me.) When I played a session with 6 players (me and 5 newbies), we didn't have the calculators, but surprisingly, we played just as fast.

Breaking the Banker
In a 6-player game, the banker is very busy. A smart banker will take advantage of slower times (such as the plant auction) to lay out some pre-counted stacks of money in preparation for firing plants. I'm only half-smart because I only thought of doing this when all six of us were collecting 54 or more in income.

All the little pieces go flying!
This is kind of a no-brainer, but there are so many pieces in play that it's worth ensuring your table is in a relatively low traffic area, especially in the presence of pets or children.

My worst disaster - a baptism of Ouzo
I was a busy banker in a 6-player game when I spilled a glass of Ouzo into power plant draw pile. That was dumb! I quickly took all the cards to the sink and ran them under the tap to rinse off the syrupy liqueur. The surface of the cards wiped clean just fine, but the edges absorbed some the water. I dabbed them thoroughly with paper towel before re-stacking them to finish the game. Nothing got sticky, but by game end, several damp cards began to curl. After that, I stacked all the plants (alternating wet and dry cards) and pressed them overnight with big clamp-style paper clips. Voila! They are flat again, and smooth enough to shuffle. New rule: Bankers should avoid drinking Ouzo. (Actually, everyone should avoid drinking Ouzo. It is rather nasty.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doesn't it belong better into general forum for this game? where's the review? which sentence says anything about whether the game is good or bad? i could also understand a session report, but a review??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - great article! But not a review. Maybe goes into the "Power Grid/general" category?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jones
United States
Jupiter
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm glad it accidentally ended up here because I don't normally read session reports. I may check them out now for games that I play regularly. Good info for newbs though, and I agree with you on the ouzo.
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.