Subject: death of a vampire hunter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know in the rules it says that the players who get defeated go to the hospital and stay there a turn. but, it seems it would be more realistic if they were eliminated from the game. Plus, eliminating someone like mina harker is a huge advantage for dracula himself. then he doesn't have to worry about the hypnosis card. just some thought for everyone, let me know what you think??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
More realistic yes but less fun and less balanced.

At the very least who wants to sit out of a majority of a game that can take 2-3 hours?

An oft used tactic for Dracula is to immediately attack an isolated hunter before they can get any items (usually first or second turn. Would kind of suck to be killed on first couple of turns and watch your gaming group play for 2 hours

As soon as you remove a hunter that's 25% less territory the hunters can cover - a huge (if not game winning) advantage to Dracula.

You often have to sacrifice total realism to make a game a bit more fun. Just imagine the hunters are not really dead just so badly wounded that they are incapacitated. You know left for dead but saved at the last moment. But if you want to play that way by all means...

That's the beauty of board games - want to change the rules - go ahead. Feel free to play that way as a variant but I think you'll find it takes away from the game quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like the original version of Fury of Dracula then. You can get eliminated. It's brutal, but it makes the game tense. Even if you do get eliminated, it's a cooperative game against Drac so you can still advise and help figure out where he might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rationale
I prefer to think of it this way: the hunter dies a grisly death, and their next-of-kin discovers how it happened. Now, the next-of-kin vows to join the fight against Dracula... and they just happen to happen the same abilities as the dead hunter. Oh, and that lost turn covers the time for them to discover the truth of their loved one's death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh. I might just suck at playing Dracula, but we played our first game of this one Wednesday night, and Drac was beaten mercilessly in the few fights we had. So, the Hunters weren't exactly fearing for their lives in any case. blush

The first battle was against a fully stocked Lord Godalming, at night, and Dracula went from having all but 3 blood tokens down to having 4 blood tokens, total. It didn't help that he had a slew of great items and someone played an event that kept Drac from fleeing in the first 3 rounds (I think?), but the big problem was that we were new at the game. I didn't really know which attacks were safest against certain weapons, so it was sort of trial and error.

That leads to an interesting question, actually: If unfamiliar with a weapon or power, can the opposing player ask to review the card once its revealed in order to determine what effects it has versus his/her own tactics deck? I don't see why not, but maybe that information is meant to be sort of nebulous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watkins
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
Dave,

Hehe, yeah fully loaded Hunters can be a tough battle - night should help even the odds though. Hopefully you made sure to check if you could discard some of their items with certain combat results and noted that some others are one-shot items.

Also make sure Goldaming wasn't rolling two dice against you - we made this mistake our first game then noted this was only against agents.

Quote:
That leads to an interesting question, actually: If unfamiliar with a weapon or power, can the opposing player ask to review the card once its revealed in order to determine what effects it has versus his/her own tactics deck? I don't see why not, but maybe that information is meant to be sort of nebulous

Well both combat cards are played facedown then revealed. Once revealed you can look at the cards all you want (well you kind of HAVE to to see the results) but by then it pretty much a moot issue. I think there is a combat chart posted in the files section that lists all the possible outcomes - sounds like exactly what you need. Far as I know there is no rule that says you can't have this info readily available during a game. Of course some hardcore players who have nearly memorized this info might want to ban this so they can have that edge.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.