Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
TNG Session Report - December 26, 2000

Gamers Present: Kevin Whitmore, Peggy Whitmore, Kyle Cochrane, Terry Hansen, Cindy Ploven, Nan Silvernail, Michael Wester, Mark Plecki, Flo Plecki.

Being the day after Christmas, some of us arranged to gather a bit early and so we started playing boardgames shortly after lunchtime. I was very eager to play our first game of

Manhattan (I got the Mayfair edition) was one of my Christmas gifts from Peggy. Since this game won the SdJ in 1994, and I had heard many complimentary reviews through the Internet, I was excited to finally get to play it.

For those of you who don't know - Manhattan is a game of city building played in four rounds. Each player receives an assortment of plastic buildings. The buildings are stackable, allowing you to build tall or short buildings.

A deck of cards is shuffled, and each turn you decide from your hand of four cards where you will play on the board. Each card gives you six locations in town that you can build upon. However these options can be curbed by the play of others. Developing empty spaces is easy. But if you want to play on top of someone else's building (therefore taking control of it) you must at least match the number of floors they have in the building.

I found this game to be fast playing, thought provoking, and challenging. Decisions about whether to scatter lots of buildings all over the board, try to dominate 2 or 3 neighborhoods, or attempting to build the tallest building had to be weighed constantly. In the end I nudged out Kyle by a slender point to win the game.

In our game, Terry and I battled over the three neighborhoods along the top of the board. Kyle and Peggy battled it out for the bottom three neighborhoods, as well as the tallest building award. Four seemed the optimal number for this game.

Ratings: Kevin & Kyle 4 stars Terry 3 stars Peggy 2 stars

We next went on to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.