Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
- Space Opera - An Encounter-Cardgame inspired by Retro-SciFi

Space Opera is intended for the 2013 solitaire Print and Play contest.

The Concept:

The Game is based on Retro Scifi, old Science Fiction, the Passing of the Hallic Comet in 1910, when people though the end of the World would come. But also within the Technological advances, Stories from Authors like Jule Verne, HG Wells, Lovecroft and Amazing Stories Magazine, were already written or about to be written.
Like in the John Carter Novels and other stories, I want to explore themes of SciFi, between Planetary Romance to early Dystopian Stories. Therefor I put some afford into researching the origins of SciFi Genre. If you go back to Sir Thomas More's Book Utopia in 1516, or even to antic stories of Atlantis, you always have the theme of the travel to far off places of Marvels and Wonders. [If Todd hadnt coined the Title Space Marvels, that would also have been a nice title.]

The Background Story:

The Dominion of the Humans is a Moloch. Absolutism and Terror reign over masses of brainwashed Citizens and the Dominion is constantly growing. But at the Far Shores of the outer space, there are still endless Borderlands to explore and new Planets to be colonialised.

The Player can decide to join the Imperial Forces of the Dominion to enslave new Worlds into the Rightfull Chains of the Realm of Humanity, or be one of the many renegade Settlers and Fortunehunters looking for a better life at the Outer Rims of Space.

Depending on which side you are, the game plays completely different.

The Basic Game
Recruit your Crew, and equip your Ship!
You will travel to far places and try your Luck out there in the Darkness of the Space. Encounter dreadfull aliens and exotic Marvels. Exlore ruins of the ancient Promethian and Helions and uproot their Artefacts. Or be the Spearhead of teh Dominion and conquer new worlds for the Glory of the Realm.

How to play:

I am not fully sure about everything but roughtly the Design of a Turn is already defined.

1. Drawn an Location card.
Location Cards are the Places you can visit. Outer Space is so wide, that you need certain Location Data to reach a Place. The location cards have colors for different Sectors, like Yellow for the Hyades or Black for The Void, and Distance numbers between 0-8. Travel within a sector costs the differenc between the numbers. From a Void Location with the Number 2 to another with 6, costs 4 Movements.
If you want to enter another Sector; like Void 5 to Dominion 3, you have to travel to "0" than to the number of the other Color, in this case 8 Movements (5+3)

2. Ship Movements
Travel to the Maximum or less of your ships movement capacity.
Encounter a Space-Encounter card for each time you have to move in Space.

3. Planetary Encounter
The Location Cards have slots for Adventures or epic events. With the later beeing more complex. With the Planetary Encounters, you can fight Monsters and Explore planets.

4. Resuply Phase
Collect your surving crew, recruit new ones at Spacestations and repair your ship.

Epic Space Opera

At some point the player may reveal an Epic Card, unlocking some complex tasks that may alter the function of Cards and the Gameplay itself. They can always decide between Supporting or fighting the Dominion, but if the palyer collects 3 Epics of one faction, he is bound to it till end of game.

You collect Glory points on a track, according to your Adventures and your Treasures.

I may write up Scenario Cards with different win conditions, but still unsure how that would work out.

Combat
I dont know yet, but maybe a quick Dice roll will do this. Or I make the Crew and Artefact/Equickment cards a "Dominion" like deckdraft system.

I want to compile the game in 54 Card decks. Several Decks.

Thats, waht i have so far, I would be happy for input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Artstyle will be a mixture of Ashley Wood, Classic Scifi Covers from the 1920-70, and Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME!-Universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Here is a List of the 54 Cards Packs for the Game.
Basic Game consists of 2 Packs:

Card Cardtype
No.

I. Space Opera Basic Set

6 2 Ships consists of 3 Cards each, The Falconia (Fartraders) and The Argon (Dominion Huntership)
12 Shipupgrades/Equickments
12 Crewmembers
24 Locations (6 per Color) Black:The Void, Green:Sylphearan Nebula, Redominion, Blue:Calix Sector

II. Space Opera Adventure Set

14 Space Encounters
30 Planetary Adventures
10 Space Opera Epic

With these two sets, the basic Game is fully working.
But I had comeup with Some Add-On s for futher gaming:

A. The Far Shores

24 Locations (6 per 4 color)
12 New Locations (White) The Dead Suns
6 Grey Locations, The Outer Rim
8 Planetary Adventures
3 Space Opera Epic

B. Newgate Station

6 Grey Locations Zero Distant (Newgate)
12 4 New Ships
18 New Crewmembers
18 Shipupgrades/ Equickmet

C. Ruins of Hyades

12 Yellow Locations (Hyades and Carcosa)
12 Planetary Adventures
12 Artefacts/Equipment
6 2 Ships
6 New Crew
6 Space Encounter

D. Space Odyssee

34 Space Encounters
6 New Crew
6 2 Ships
6 Equipments
2 Space Opera Epic

E. Mare Astra

54 12 New Ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the titles of your post I instantly love the idea.

Can you share the game mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Ultimate Frog wrote:
When I read the titles of your post I instantly love the idea.

Can you share the game mechanics?

Well, I am not the best writer but I will try.

The Ships having 3 Cards, Front, Middle and Backside. Each part of the ship can have up to 2 Funktions/Actions. You can build Enhancements to the Ship, by finding Artefacts or buing them in a Spacestation, (stay one round on a station and look the first 2 Cards of the Equickment Pile and choose max 1 Card to buy.) Each Enhancement can have up to 2 extra Functions and/or Actions.

Crew members are recruited at Stations, sometimes at specific Sectors, mostly not. They come in with skills (Combat(Enemy Encounter), Survival(Enviroment Encounter), Knowledge (Ancientruines Encounter, Forbidden Lore, Intrigues, etc.), Technical (Repairs, Rebuild, Equipment), Navigation (Spacetravel), Bravery (Mixed) )

Each Location Card, have some specific Encounters and some more generic encounters, selected by card draw. If its a Epic Location, after all other Adventures and Encounters are resolved on the Location, the Epic Card may be activated.

You loose, if:

You play Dominion and the Rebels launch a successfull atak on the Throne.

You play Rebells and the Dominion destroyed the Refugee Fleet.

Your ship gets destroyed while in Spacetravel or any other situation

Your Crew is wiped out completely

You win, if:

You reached 100 Fame Points/ or fullfill a special Epic Quest, stating you win if you fullfill it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
After reading throught Todd's "Journey to the Underworld", Nate's "Tenth Dragon" and "The Last Centurion" I had to rethink a lot of Space Opera's Gameplay. Basicly its too chunky. Nate's idea to have different categories on the same card instead of FFG style of making tausends of Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad we could help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
kurthl33t wrote:
Glad we could help!

Yes I think its quiet elegant to have different functions on the Same Cards, for a PNP game.
Also i still like the Idea to create a Large Game out of this concept, i also have to keep an Eye on PnP standards. So instead of fiddling with the art, i want to create a working Testversion to upload it for Playtesting.

@Nate: I would love to illustrate some of your Cards if Images were requiqued or needed. I need a time Generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalain wrote:

@Nate: I would love to illustrate some of your Cards if Images were requiqued or needed.

I would have to completely rework the card layout for The Tenth Dragon to find room for artwork, but I appreciate the offer!

Quote:
I need a time Generator.

Don't we all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Yes, who not.

How far are you with your game? I just printed and cut the latest Version and will try it out more intensly on train tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalain wrote:

How far are you with your game? I just printed and cut the latest Version and will try it out more intensly on train tomorrow.

Well, in terms of the contest, The Tenth Dragon is finished. There are some things I want to improve once the contest is over--creating more of a story arc, improving the balance, giving the player more choices, etc. But I'm going to wait until the contest is finished, the votes are in, and the feedback has been handed out before I start tinkering with it again. That'll allow me to return to it with fresh eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
After a bit of tinkering I changed the combination of Card types:

Space Opera: Out of Darkness

Ship Cards (12)

The Falconia(Freetraders/Neutral), The Argon (Imperial Huntership), Kadamon (Rebelforce/Scoutship)

Each Ship consists of 3 Parts/Cards, and one captain.

Shipupgrades/Equickments (24)

The Player can add one Equickment/Upgrade per Ship/Part.
The Equickment/Upgrade, can be buyed at the Rebelcamp/Imperial Outpost/Fartrader's Station.

Crewmembers (24)

New Crewmembers can be recruited at their Specific areas (Rebelcamp/Imperial Outpost/Fartrader's Station)

24 Locations (8 per Color) Black: The Void, Green: Sylphearan Nebula, Red Dominion

12 Space Encounters

Drawn while travelling between spaces

36 Planetary Adventures

Drawn on Planets

12 Space Opera Epics

Bigger Quests, which can be activated by Adventures

This is a Playtest Mockup of the Ship and captain Cards.
After a full Set of Playtest Cards is done, and I got some feedback. i will start to finalise the Cardart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, if you need help with English, please GM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
gamesbook wrote:
Er, if you need help with English, please GM me.

Cool, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
The entry deadline for the 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest is Midnight (MST) October 5th. Will this game be complete by that time? If not, the game will be removed from the entry list but will be eligible to be entered in next year's contest.

Thanks! I hope to see more about this game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
This Game turned to this One http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1046498/wip-solitair13-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls