United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have patiently said nothing about the "Fun Stuff", "Utilities" and "Help" drop down menus positioned directly over the search field thinking that it would be fixed soon, but I can't be silent any longer. Is there a way to move the geek mail and the search above the drop down menu so that if you want to search or check your mail you don't have to wiggle around your mouse to hope that the menu goes away. This has caused me no end of irritation. I just want to look something up or check my mail instead I'll end up going to some random part of the site or have to figure out how to move the drop downs to free some space to creep into those fields.

I love many of the updates, but this is really starting to get to me (and was mentioned by others at PrezCon as well).

Sorry to be so crabby.

Morgan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please change the drop down menu over the search functio
Aaaand there appears to be some sort of memory leak in the menu code to boot.

In the meantime if you just want to search for games, there's a firefox BGG search plugin at http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
sbszine wrote:
Aaaand there appears to be some sort of memory leak in the menu code to boot.

What makes you say there is a memory leak in the menu code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a hunch I have. Since the menus went in, visiting BGG crashes my browser (FF 1.5 on Win2K) after about 5 or 6 hours of being logged in. It used to crash it after say 3 hours, but tinkering with browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers so that the back button only caches one page helped.

It gets slower the longer I've been logged in (could be heap frag in the browser rather than memory leak in the script). If I turn off script I don't get the crash, but it makes using the site somewhat difficult. Greasemonkey is my next option.

So it could be a script thing or a browser thing, but either way the script adversely affects performacne at my end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It gets slower the longer I've been logged in

...and I thought it was just because I upgraded my FF installation at work. Yeah, I run about 6 different tabs with BGG in two of them and after a few hours or so, it pretty much locks up the browser and I have to kill it via the Task Manager or it just dies on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, try setting browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = 3 in about:config. It makes the back button a bit slower elsewhere, but you only get 1/3 of the crashes at BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

This is what I've been talking about concerning UI design and human factors.

UI experts say that "an infinite target" is best. What that means is that if something is at the ABSOLUTE EDGE of the screen, and your mouse automatically stops there, the target is infinitely large in that direction.

That is NOT the case with those pesky menus on BGG. They are too close to the search field... happens to me all day long.

A little bit of UI assistance to Aldie from qualified volunteers should take care of this.

Anyone using a Windows machine? Until Windows XP, Microsoft had missed the "infinite target" concept by just a couple of pixels. Used to be (Windows 98, for example) that the Start Menu button rested two or three pixels from the far left and absolute bottom of the screen. Result? You could miss it by going all the way to the corner with your mouse. This story is usually in the first couple of chapters in any book on UI design for computers.

They seemed to have finally listened in XP. Yet, XP violates so many of the interface guidelines that Microsoft spent millions of dollars testing, analyzing and developing. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
How bout now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow, Aldie... it's like you are God listening to us pray and curse!!

That's better, much better...
, but I still find that mousing over the menus causes them to trigger...

No way to keep the search below the menus, but put it a little lower, is there?
On second-thought, the menus being triggered don't seem to interupt my use of the search-box now...

Thanks again Aldie. Thanks for Designer pages, too!

How do the bios get added? I'm playtesting for Richard Berg, and I told him about the existence of the Designer pages. I've been trying to shepherd him along with the BGG details, as he's new to the site.

Again, much thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's service... nice one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Quote:
It gets slower the longer I've been logged in

...and I thought it was just because I upgraded my FF installation at work. Yeah, I run about 6 different tabs with BGG in two of them and after a few hours or so, it pretty much locks up the browser and I have to kill it via the Task Manager or it just dies on its own.

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one! For the last few weeks I've noticed that I have to restart my computer every few hours because it gets extremely slow and pretty much stops working. I couldn't figure out what it was, but I do always keep BGG open in a Firefox tab at all times, and it has the same crashing problem on my girlfriend's computer when I use it, so I thought it might be related to BGG. I don't know enough about computers to understand what a memory leak is or whether that's the problem, but it is kind of annoying, especially if I have a lot of stuff open when it goes haywire. I wonder whether there's some way to fix this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a menu anywhere but the top of left of the display is just wrong. The fact that you have to move the menu below the login/geekmail/search bar is a symptom of the poor menu functionality and not the page payout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we please have an option to move the menu back to the top, or simply to remove it? I have javascript turned off for BGG. Having the menu below page content is, imho, a poor workaround for a buggy menu. It would be better to fix the menu. Even better would be to offer a non-javascript menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any of the technical mumbo jumbo, but moving the menu down makes searching so much easier for me. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome. I am going to sacrifice a copy of LCR to Aldie on my backyard altar this evening in gratitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great suggestion Morgan!

And Mr. Crabby, Please don't share those crabs with the rest of us....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.