Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying Beowulf quite a bit so far, but the board is just making me madder with every play. Yes, the art is gorgeous,, BUT the spaces are just too small. They should have been about double the size they are now. It is very difficult to see what icons are required from across the board, and nearly impossible to identify the special cards depicted. My vision is nearly 20/20, and I need to lean over the board to read the episode names. The status markers don't even fit in the spaces! There is SO much wasted space on the board, not to mention 1/4 of the board is missing entirely. It was a major design goof in my opinion to make the spaces so small, as the game would be much easier to play with bigger game features. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard much complaining on this point. This bugs me a lot, mainly because I otherwise love the game. If I hated it, then it would just be smaller icons to hate, but as it stands, my love is too big for those tiny spaces to hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly. The icons on the cards are nice, large and easy to spot. The icons, rewards and episode information on the board is incredibly difficult to see if you're not directly over that panel.

Especially disappointing given all the open, unused space assigned purely for art, which could have easily been put to good use for larger, more distinct icons.

I've been tempted (but both too lazy and too broke) to scan the board in and make nice large (200% or so) full-color print outs for each episode track in a spiral bound "flip book" ... The board would be useful for seeing what's coming down the road. The flip book would be positioned in the current blank/empty quarter of the board space to better track the active area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:

I've been tempted (but both too lazy and too broke) to scan the board in and make nice large (200% or so) full-color print outs for each episode track in a spiral bound "flip book" ... The board would be useful for seeing what's coming down the road. The flip book would be positioned in the current blank/empty quarter of the board space to better track the active area.

That is an excellent idea! I may give that a shot myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think this flip book ideas is a very good one, but I haven't been able to get satisfactory scans. If anyone can get a good scan of the entire board, even in small sections, and wants to send it to me, I'll do the cut-and-pasting to make the flip book pages. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.