Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gibbs
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I will be visiting London for Vacation form the U.S., and wanted to know a good game store that would give me a great selection of games from Europe (and/or OOP games) that I would not find inthe U.S. or may find cheaper in London then the U.S.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The bad news is I doubt you will find anything much cheaper than the U.S. Remember that most games in the U.K. are either from America or are from Germany but tend to be shipped across the Atlantic twice. Compounded by the fact that the U.K. has a 17.5% VAT and that the Brits seem prepared to accept high prices for almost everything, and you are unlikely to find any bargains.

The good news is that there are a number of very good games shops in London - and they have been pointed out in a couple of threads:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/82653

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/81326

should get you started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Siggins
England
Bexhill
SUSSEX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re Looking for a good store in London
Quote:
that the Brits seem prepared to accept high prices for almost everything

And the alternative is?

It strikes me that we either pay it, or not. I doubt that gamers are going to pass up 'must haves' so we have no effective way of signalling approval or disapproval.

Not a great situation to be in.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
sumo wrote:
Quote:
that the Brits seem prepared to accept high prices for almost everything
It strikes me that we either pay it, or not. I doubt that gamers are going to pass up 'must haves' so we have no effective way of signalling approval or disapproval.

The problem with being an island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playin'games in Museum Street is the only one I know. Museum street is just outside the British Museum. It has a very good selection. I don't know about price though, not much to compare it with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Harmer-Barnes
United Kingdom
Rainham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
www.orcsnest.com

Don't be thrown by the RPG heavy flavour to the site. The physical shop deals with a lot of Board Games and War Games (of the card-and-chit-grognard-pleasing variety).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
BradH wrote:
www.orcsnest.com

Don't be thrown by the RPG heavy flavour to the site. The physical shop deals with a lot of Board Games and War Games (of the card-and-chit-grognard-pleasing variety).

CCGs are downstairs, along with minatures and some RPGs. You need to go up the stairs to find the euro and war games.

Don't expect to find many bargains though.

If you go to the Plaza in Oxford Street (closest tube is Oxford Circus) you'll find Games Workshop - and if you're into GW stuff you might find them cheaper than in the US (but still rather expensive ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best games shop in London is Leisure Games in Finchley (5 minutes walk from Finchley Central on the Northern line underground). They have an excellent range of games covering all genres. A recommended visit for any BGG-er who is in London.

Cheers

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
I have done most of my shopping at Leisure Games so can attest to the fact that they have a wide selection. But if you are visiting London, it is not worth making the trip out to Finchley especially for Leisure Games. You can get pretty much the same selection for the same price at Playin' Games near the museum.

Leisure Games does have a few sale items, but they are on sale for a good reason -- and have been for some time.

Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://snipurl.com/ukgamesboardfaq

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.