Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally broke down and bought Memoir '44 last Friday. I just couldn't resist the draw of the little plastic army men and vehicles any more. My main objective with the game was to get another game to play with my wife.

Well, I knew that the theme would be a hurdle, but finally pressed it tonight and we sat down to play the first scenario. I set everything up while she finished dinner and then I ran through the rules briefly. I missed a couple of points, but overall we didn't really have to go back to the rules that often. Adding a greater variety of terrain and units would probably temporarily increase the number of times the rules need to be referenced.

We only had time for one game, so I attempted to defend the bridges with the Axis as she pressed the attack with the Allies. The Axis start off with just two command cards to the Allies 6. But we're dug in, sandbags and wire separate the attackers from the second bridge.

The Allies start and my wife starts moving toward the lightly defended Orne Bridge. I have no left flank orders so that bridge is quickly lost. I concentrate my efforts on taking out the units closest to the wire and sandbags guarding the second bridge. The Allies are boxed in so a roll of infantry, grenade or retreat all equally well and I have a medal after two turns as well.

I finally get some orders to the left flank and take out the unit that took the Orne Bridge. Meanwhile, the Allies advance on the wire and sandbags guarding the Pegasus bridge. They pick off a unit I unwisely slipped outside of the relative safety of the wire enclosure and start chipping away at my main line of defense.

The tally is 2 to 2. The Allies, from the disadvantage of the wire kill my infantry behind the sandbags guarding the bridge with a single die. Things are unravelling quickly. I don't have any commands that will move reinforcements between the Allies and the bridge. So I either have to score two medals this turn or hope she doesn't have left or center command cards. Allies up 3 to 2

I play Firefight and have a chance to take two medals. One of the units I'm hitting has three infantry left. I roll three dice. 2 infantry and a retreat. This retreat puts the remaining member of the unit out of reach of the my other infantry that was going to fire on them next. And that's the game. I did get a kill on one more unit bringing me to three medals. Final tally Allies 4 to 3. I think the fact that I was one die away from winning made me just as happy as if I had won.

I think this one was a winner. The first time through was a bit slow, but by the end we were cruising pretty good. It was probably good that she won the first game We're both very competitive so the fact that the dice you get and the cards you draw have a big impact on your success is good. You can blame a loss on that rather than bad tactics. We'll probably try Pegasus Bridge again before moving on just to make sure we've got it. Hopefully that rematch will take place soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike!

You wrote:
My main objective with the game was to get another game to play with my wife.

Well, I knew that the theme would be a hurdle

Count yourself lucky you have a wife that will even consider a war-themed game. Once I set up Axis & Allies to teach my wife and kids. As soon as did my intro ("Spring 1942, the world at war, blah, blah") she stood up and said "The goal of the game is to re-enact WWII? I'm outta here" and left the playing area... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
yes this seems to be a good game to play with the wife.My wife and i played alot of battle cry so getting this was a no brainer but yet after having it a year we have not played it much.We usually play a scenario twice swithing sides and seeing who can get the most medals.This seems to work out well especially with the unbalanced scenarios.Hope to get more games of this in soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ValJor wrote:
Hi Mike!

You wrote:
My main objective with the game was to get another game to play with my wife.

Well, I knew that the theme would be a hurdle

Count yourself lucky you have a wife that will even consider a war-themed game. Once I set up Axis & Allies to teach my wife and kids. As soon as did my intro ("Spring 1942, the world at war, blah, blah") she stood up and said "The goal of the game is to re-enact WWII? I'm outta here" and left the playing area... cry

Hi Valdir!

I am lucky, but I was sort of devious. devil I knew that if I asked if she'd play a WWII game if I bought it the answer would be not to count on it. Since I'd already sunk the money in it, I knew I could at least get her to try it. I knew the mechanics and balancing would really appeal to her, so I figured she would like it once we got through a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.