Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick question about realignment rolls.

If it's my turn and I initiate a realignment roll in a region, and my opponent rolls higher than I do. Do I lose influence or do I only waste that OP point? My question is, can the phasing player lose influence in a region where a realignment roll takes place or only the phasing players opponent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The phasing player can indeed lose influence in a realignment roll. This is why realignment rolls are generally a bad idea, tactically speaking. Of course, if you have no influence in the target country you are not vulnerable to realignment losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactically speaking, realignment rolls are best used in countries where you have no influence, but you have a number of adjacent controlled countries; i.e. they are best used to counter attempts by your opponent to gain a foothold in your sphere of influence. Also remember you can make multiple attempts against the same country with a single card play (by spending multiple OPS).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do agree on the rules point though? So we don't go confusing the original user.

Of course, in order to get the full benefit, there should be enough enemy influence in their to be affected by the best possible result (5 in a balanced roll). Realigning vs 1 enemy influence is almost certainly a bad idea. And speneding 2 realignment rolls to get rid of 1 enemy influence is just daft...you can get 1 influence of your own in for the same price, if you have adjacent countries, (if you don't your chances aren't good anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference between removing the other guys influence and just placing more of your own is that he can continue to expand from a place where he has influence, even if you have more. If you have positive modifiers, you can remove him with only a small risk to yourself. Net +2 is fairly safe, with less than that you are gambling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. I never use it. If there is a chance of getting rid of all his influence, there generally isn't enough influence there for it to be good value....but I suppose there might be some aspects where it is worthwhile.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do use realignements, actually. I find them very useful in specific situations, namely:

1. You have a card of value 1 or 2 OP to play.
2. The opponent has put at least 3 influence in a given country, you have none or maybe one. (This one's easy...)
- OR -
You have more influence than the opponent, but not the control, and he has at least 3 markers.
3. You have at least a +2 advantage on the realigment die in the target country.

That's all. Happens much more often than we think, but we don't pay attention to potential realignment situations. Last time, in a crucial episode of the battle for Europe, I killed the US player with a nice realignement in Romania where I had a +3 advantage. He lost 4 markers. the best I could have done with the card was adding one in Romania, not even getting back its control. Whenever you get a +3 somewhere and you have a 1 or 2 OP value card, it can be a great move.

Things is, it's very rare that you really have more than one or two countries where realignements could be done, so I never use better than a 1 or 2 op card. Most often, a 3 or more OP card would be best used on a coup or markers placement. That's not always true of 1 or 2 op cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replys guys! Question answered and then some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsist wrote:
Last time, in a crucial episode of the battle for Europe, I killed the US player with a nice realignement in Romania where I had a +3 advantage. He lost 4 markers.

You got to realign in Europe? That's alien to my experience; my opponents and I tend to degrade DEFCON early. Otherwise, DeGaulle would be toast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right ! It's pretty rare that it happens in Europe ! It's mostly elswhere, but this time, the status was 5 because of a late card in previous round that allowed for the Defcon to be replaced at 4 (then back to 5 at the start of the turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.